starcraft 2 strategy guide and video
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a StarCraft 2 Replay, get help!
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Post a StarCraft 2 Replay, get help!

Hello all! I've been playing a good amount of 1v1 lately and I was thinking it would be great to start a replay thread. In this thread, anyone can post a replay and any other forum goer could look at it and give them tips etc. Now obviously not everyone is a professional, but im sure all of us have something we can share with others. I personally just uploaded 2 1v1 replays to the site. Post here if you upload one and I will give it a watch

EDIT: Replay posting etiquette
      - Please rename your file in the following format
      Name race v race(TvT, ZvP, etc.) Map Approximate time
      By doing this you will allow those watching the replays to keep them all apart from each other.
      Last edited by Moderas; 09-08-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hey, I'll take a look at them. =D Nothing to do this Friday night. I'll edit this post when I am done watching.

Blistering Sands TvZ
      1) Mineral rally points in beginning - what I mean is after you move your initial SCVs, your first rally point should be at an empty mineral patch. After the 7th scv is out on that empty mineral patch, re-rally to the next mineral patch. This is more advance stuff that just saves like 3-5 seconds on mining time since the SCV won't be blocked by another SCV already mining. After all mineral patches are saturated with one SCV, you can start rallying to put 2 SCVs per patch. They make a mining pair. At 3 SCVs per patch you will be fully saturated and SCVs will start blocking each other. But in the beginning where the fastest time matters, doing those early mineral rally points can help.
      2) Early scouting - You don't scout until like 13/14. I suggest you scout after first supply is done, especially against zerg who might rush.
      3) Earlier Orbital Command - you don't get one for a while. The standard for terran is to get it at 16/17 I believe. I don't know if it's your preference, but the early orbital is helpful.
      4) Scout COMPLETELY - You didn't scout his base behind the minerals. You never saw the spawning pool. He could have had other tech structures hiding behind there. First, when you got to his base you saw a) an expo and b) no units besides drones/overlords. That should automatically tell you he is teching. But what was he teching to? You had absolutely no idea. So instead of trying to hard counter his units, you went with a basic 'safe' build. Marines+Tank push.
      5) No idea why your opponent would cancel the hatchery when you only attacked it with your scouting SCV. That was stupid of him. But after he canceled he built a baneling/roach warren. You should really scan. If you saw he had no units to attack you + he canceled to get back 300 minerals, you should scan his main in like 10-15 to see what he spent it on. Was it lings? Buildings? etc? In this case I think he used it on baneling nest/roach warren.
      6) No add-ons on your racks till 41. Plus you delayed your tanks by putting the tech lab on your factory. You should've put at least one tech lab on a racks then swap the factory/racks for the tech lab. That way you save like a minute of building time and your sieges come out faster.
      7) Late second gas at 31. Way late. The late second gas doesn't give you enough flexibility. If I saw only one gas, I would know you don't have enough to build many tech units. How would you be able to support anything besides marines and the 3-4 tanks I saw? If you got a second gas earlier, you could swap to maruaders much faster if you didn't know his unit composition.
      8) Nice first battle. Good micro on the infantry to avoid banelings. Nice tank leapfrog.
      9) Too focus on the battles. You forget to move your command center to your natural. Loss of minerals right there. 200 energy build up on orbital command. You havn't even seen his tech structures. You really should keep the mules up and save 50 for scans.
      10) When you fought at his main, the roaches burrowed and you didn't even bothered to scan to keep attacking. You still had 200 energy at this point. Don't know why zerg has only one gas at this point as well.
      11) Migrate your scvs to your natural instead of rebuilding them all. You should have enough SCVs at your main to move like 8 or so to your expo.
      12) Your money starts to float at 1000-1200. Not good. Always keep below 500. I noticed the main reason is because you weren't producing units. And remember, you're not even muling at all. So if you were to keep on top of the muling, you would have even more minerals.
      13) And oh, at the part where you had tanks just outside siege range of lair, you should stop trying to pull back your infantry. You knew that was his last base, should have just sniped it out with your infantry, it would be worth the trade at that point. Because you didn't he managed to get like 2 more expos back up which was a waste of five minutes.

So ... what I took from this is less focus on the battles more focus on economy and efficient scouting. Your build order and unit composition is pretty good and your micro is better than your macro that is for sure. Focus more on getting your natural expo up and running. Focus on muling. Always constantly mule but save 50 energy for scan. Also remember to change your second CC to a OC or PF. I think you should go OC and hotkey both OCs and constantly mule. You had so much minerals I think you could've built more unit producing structures. Maybe tech up to starport JUST in case. Get your second gas lols.

Also, in battle, I think it is important for you to know when to retreat and when to advance. You took out his army with your marine+tanks+2maruaders then you took out his expo then you moved up to his main. At that point you should've peaked in, and left. A) You have economic advantage you know that because you forced him to cancel his expo earlier and you just raped his army + expo again. Go back and play a macro game. It is now in your favor. Retreat/regroup and do a timing push again with those 1-2 thors you did @ the end. It would've been even easier. By retreat and regroup I don't mean to .. go all the way back to base. You should set up right outside his two entrances. That would be a good place to siege up and spread your troops.

Also, scan is important lols. Mutas would have raped you really really hard from the north cause you had no turrets and no marines there at all. You were lucky he didn't tech any lair units lols. This is long I know. But hey, you asked for a critique =D Gl and HF in all your games.
      Last edited by Sillierabbit; 09-03-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks for the reply! I am a terrible macro player and I've been trying to improve but for some reason that part of my game just lags behind :O

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hey, I just watched the games, Im a diamond zerg player and watching those zerg players was a bit excruciating, my worst race is terran so I can't really comment much about build orders, I'll just give an overview of things.

On Xel'Naga, where the zerg fast expanded, you did some good things, but you never really saturated your minerals with scv's, you need to build a lot more than you had, you got an expo and then just kinda moved them over to that expo, I don't think you ever had more than 25 scv's which in a game where you get 2 bases is extremely low. so build more scv's, a lot more, and keep building them for a while during the first bit of the game.

On Blistering sands, I think your opening build order was a bit better with getting gas and more scv's, but then you just ended up having a lot of minerals, I don't really think you needed to build another unit producing structure other than maybe a starport, if you had just kept constantly producing units you wouldn't have had so many extra minerals, your barracks sat there idle a lot.

You did do one really good thing though almost. You build your commmand center and as it was finishing you moved out to attack. but then it sat there for 3 minutes while you attacked, and then after it was over you moved it and started mining from there. If you had moved it as you were moving out and started producing scv's and gotten gas and everything, that would have been a really good high level move.

A lot of stuff was already said and im trying not to repeat anything too much, I can't remember if you hotkeyed your barracks, but if you didn't, that would help you a lot in terms of macro and getting a bigger army, on one of your last pushed you had about 100 food total, but if you had kept up with your macro you would have had around 30 more food worth of an army which is huge, especially for when you face better players.

I hope I was helpful and if I think of anything else i'll post it

Downloads
      Uploads
      Slowbadon is right though, watching that zerg was .... damaging to my brain. Why would a zerg cancel an expo under attack by an SCV? And why would a zerg not have at least 2 bases by 15 minutes? lols.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Ok I just added a PvT replay, I am the guy who won but as I am new to SC I would like you guys to give me tips on how to make my game better besides the obvious lack of any micro

I look forward to your reply.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Mifec View Post
      Ok I just added a PvT replay, I am the guy who won but as I am new to SC I would like you guys to give me tips on how to make my game better besides the obvious lack of any micro

I look forward to your reply.
      Make sure to post the lin to your replay because when the replay section fills up, it could get chaotic =). I'll take a look at the replay and respond to you. Mean while happy labors day!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by SCVrush View Post
      Make sure to post the lin to your replay because when the replay section fills up, it could get chaotic =). I'll take a look at the replay and respond to you. Mean while happy labors day!
      Happy labor day to you to SCVrush although we don't celebrate it here :P

PvT 1v1 Mifec - Downloads - StarCraft 2 Strategy

And that would be the link to my replay.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hey, I just watched your replay and I have a few ideas.
      - You seemed to have a lot of extra energy in your Nexus' and even sat at 100 for a while. Your standing army value was also significantly less than your opponents most of the game. Perhaps use the extra chrono boost energy on your warp gates to keep your defenses up/make a push?

-You seemed distracted at the beginning and had a gap between building things and accidentally chrono'd a single probe

-Since you got the forge so early, I would have picked up at least the level 1 weapons upgrade. This could have been a good time for a chrono too

I also saw some good stuff, like hiding the Dark Shrine. To be honest, I didnt even see it and there was no fog on the replay >< and I also think you did a good job turning your expansion in to a choke with the photon cannons. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this stuff, and happy labor day!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Mifec's PvT on LT
      -6 probe scout? Why scout so early? What information would he reveal to you besides his position? Which leads to the next issue ...
      -Scout completely? You only saw him building a supply depot. He might have been doing 2 racks or reapers or something. Which, he ended up doing. You should hide your -Get blink. Primarily stalker/colossus army. You got blink WAY too late. You had 2 zealots and a DT and the rest were like 20 stalkers and 2-3 colossus. Get blink early. Do not attack conventionally. What is Terran's greatest strength? Walling off and playing strong defense with their tanks. You lost half your army attack the front. Instead you should have used the colossus, walked to the side of the bottom ledge, blink up. Take him from behind.

-The biggest issue is still macro. You still let your money and gas float. Always always be spending. Always try to keep below 500 gas and 500 minerals. If you find that you have enough money for units every single warpgate cooldown, build more warpgates then. Or tech to storm or stargate. Always spend. Heck build a third expansion somewhere else if you need to spend the money. You had 1200 minerals and 2000 gas left. You could've built like 4 more warpgates and gotten 16 sentries out super easy. =D
      -There also seem to be a lot of time where you just sit and do nothing. You just sit and wait. Always be active. Always check to see if your cooldowns are done, can you warp in more units? Are you below 500/500?

So my KEY tip for you is just to keep minerals/gas below 500. If you are below 500 that automatically means you are building something or teching to something. This automatically = more tech advantage or army advantage. Actually this is my tip to anyone looking to move up and get better....ALWAYS be building something and keep below 500/500 you will automatically find that you have a bigger army or more diverse army. Stop saving money. Even in real life money is just money, invest it in something lols. In SC2, invest more in your army then you won't have to invest in rebuilding your Nexus when it goes down cause your army sucked =P

Anyways, if I come off as too harsh, I don't mean to. I just tell it like I see it. =D

+ Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast