starcraft 2 strategy guide and video

View Poll Results: Tournament or League?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tournament

3 20.00%
  • League

12 80.00%
Closed Thread + Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Very important! Tournament vs. League poll!
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Moderas View Post
      2 and 4 sound best to me
      Read this Promotion and relegation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this League system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gives you an idea about the Premiere league (and almost all Football leagues actually). Good Luck
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Digg this Post!Bookmark Post in Technorati

Downloads
      Uploads
      The promotion/relegation sounds like it would be best once more people are involved but for now I dont think it would work. In a PM I sent to sillie earlier I put forth this system that took my like 15 seconds to think of

"I agree with your idea that a league set up would be easier. I just have once concern, how do we make it fair for everyone who participates? I was thinking of doing something along the lines of:
      -You get 10 points for a win against someone of equal league
      - You get +/-2 for 1 league difference, +/- 5 for 2 league, so gold v diamond would only give 5 points to the diamond
      - each player will play 1 random person each week for maybe 4-5 weeks, if they played everyone it would go on for months
      - The top 4 from those random matches will then play in the semifinals which will be a traditional bo3 or bo5 game, winner moves on.
      - Winners of that play in bo3/bo5 finals for league champion

This gives the chance for even lower level players to make it in to the semis as long as they are consistent against others of their skill level."

I think that system could work for the first "season" or two while our player count is small, but it needs work of course.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Moderas View Post
      The promotion/relegation sounds like it would be best once more people are involved but for now I dont think it would work. In a PM I sent to sillie earlier I put forth this system that took my like 15 seconds to think of

"I agree with your idea that a league set up would be easier. I just have once concern, how do we make it fair for everyone who participates? I was thinking of doing something along the lines of:
      -You get 10 points for a win against someone of equal league
      - You get +/-2 for 1 league difference, +/- 5 for 2 league, so gold v diamond would only give 5 points to the diamond
      - each player will play 1 random person each week for maybe 4-5 weeks, if they played everyone it would go on for months
      - The top 4 from those random matches will then play in the semifinals which will be a traditional bo3 or bo5 game, winner moves on.
      - Winners of that play in bo3/bo5 finals for league champion

This gives the chance for even lower level players to make it in to the semis as long as they are consistent against others of their skill level."

I think that system could work for the first "season" or two while our player count is small, but it needs work of course.
      Sounds good, can't wait for the UEN League to start.
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      By the way, that 1 vote for tournament was me just because I had to vote to see the poll results. Im disregarding it because it wasnt an honest opinion, so it is currently 3-0 in favor of league. I do still want to give it a little time for other users to see it and I'd like to present the plan to SCVRush before making anything official.

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Actually the pt system might be okay. Bronze = 1, Silver = 2, Gold = 3, Plat = 4, Dia = 5. You can have everyone play everyone. But again, it depends on the size. If it is like 16 players that's a little too much cause thats 15 weeks. 3 months? Patches will be out by then. That's why we need a shorter 'season'. Some people might be too busy in 2 months i.e. winter break for school or maybe even finals for those 2 weeks.

The only way to do it in a timely manner would be to implement some sorta round depending on the players. It's too complicated right now without knowing exactly how many players would play. If 16 players play, then using the double-elimination method I stated before it would take roughly 3 weeks. Of course when we eliminate like 16 players down to like 4 or so, we could speed it up since its so few players that way we can start the next 'season'.

Another reason we can't make it too long is because strategies and player skills will change. For example , if I were to play right now, you would seed me in bronze lols cause I havn't even completed my 1s placements LOLs. It would be weird to play a silver player in the beginning but 3 weeks later that same player might've gotten through losers bracket by practicing on bnet a lot and ranked up to diamond. That's kinda a weird dynamic. I don't know how we are going to deal with that. Ideally we want a equal skill / high level final with two diamonds going at it. Double elimination would guarantee lower skill players AT LEAST two games + keep our time frame shorter. We're gonna have to work this out I guess.

Downloads
      Uploads
      We could do the league in seasons of 2 months, 6 weeks of random games than the best move on to 1 week of semis and 1 week for finals.

Downloads
      Uploads
      League is an excellent idea!

However I do like the points system, but that forgoes the whole idea of a grand final, so maybe the top 8 or 4 go to semi finals/finals matches, so we still get the excitement of a live final, but makes thinning down the people a lot easier. I just assume that SCVrush and OMZ will be in the finals :P haha but we will see

Also in the league having a best of 3 system may take a while so we need to be aware of time in that case.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Ok, slightly adjusted point system here that I think will serve as the final system.

-An even match is worth 20 points
      -For every league above you your opponent is you get +2
      - For every league below your opponent is, he gets -1
      examples: Gold v gold = 20 points, silver v Gold = 22, silver v bronze = 19
      - This scaling means that a very very consistent lower league player will score high enough to move on to semis but it wont be impossible for diamonds to get enough points.
      - There will be 6 weeks of games for points, 1 game a week. Games will consist of 3 matches, more on that later.
      - After 6 weeks of general play the semis will begin, the top 4 point earners will be in the semis
      - winners of the semis go on to finals
      - Finals and possibly semis will be streamed and SCVRush may do commentary, if he chooses he may do commentary on earlier games too.

I am going to give 24 hours for any objections to this system to be posted. If at 9:12 PM central time tomorrow night no objections have been made or any objections that were made have been cleared up, we will use this as the system for our first "season"

Point system now official.
      Last edited by Moderas; 10-11-2010 at 07:25 AM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      The system is starting to look much more refined
      LanEvoIII #988

Downloads
      Uploads
      All in a couple of days as well good job guys should be interesting ^^ im all in for this!
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!