+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help with turtling
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      I do agree partially with coolsmelly, however thats only if you turtle like that, boxed in with no surprises, if you have a toss or terran player wall off properly, complete with terran and the corridor with toss its very hard to get past without wasting more resources than necessary. pretty much as everyone has said scouting is essential (and my weakest part >.<) but against turtles the best option is to harass, then they generally build cannons or turrets or spore, wasting resources on static defence. The more time you give yourself to expand and contain, the best chance you have against them.

Personally as zerg against a turtle I expand at 20 supply, then tech to muta and harass, and if there is the opportunity a nydus worm rush as most people dont have full vision of the main spawn area. The more damage you can do in your initial rush the better.

As for toss I used to play them, warp prisms are probably a good idea, or prism collossus drops on the mineral line for harass assuming no cannons, otherwise it will depend on his unit combination inside his base. Also VR are a good idea instead of the prism warp gate or colossus, but is expensive.

As for walls, IMO baneling bust is the only viable option, and even then it is expensive and only successful if done early before major tech pops out, so avoid the wall, let them waste resources and take them from behind

And as everyone else will say.... 'SURPRISE! I brought a nice present of mutalisk for your SCV's arent I a thoughtful person '

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by coolsmelly View Post
      all he sent at me was dt's. Turtling screws you up too bad.
      Turtling does not screw you up. Bad strategy screws you up lols. If you ever play with SCVrush he can effectively turtle real well until he decides to push out =P

Downloads
      Uploads
      Topic on how to counter terran wall as toss. http://www.theuen.com/forum/starcraf...epot-wall.html
      If you managed to contain him and you literally mined out the base why didn't you tech to mass carriers lols? They have insane range and en mass i don't think he can stop you unless he has 200 vikings lols.

PvP 4gate is really strong. To counter 4gate it usually requires you to 4gate too. But it is possible to fend off without having you 4gate. I don't see why 2gate 1robo couldn't stop it? Were you always producing? I would use zealots as meat shields, sentry for forcefield and guardian shield. It maybe important for you to hotkey your immortals and shift+queue to attack all his armored units like sentries and stalkers first? It should be like 1hit ko on stalkers if you had 3immortals I think? I don't know. Defending the 4gate depends a lot on timing as well, when he attacks, when you spotted it, etc.

Downloads
      Uploads
      lol mass VR as well charge up ur voids on like a rock or a building then attack him

Downloads
      Uploads
      i was producing constantly but couldn't reinforce fast enough to take out his overwhelming number of units, but i have since got better at this.

i don't know if this is considered a good strategy/cheese or not but it seems to work for me (silver).
      Right, against protoss who try's the 4gate i use my own version of a 10 pylon 10gateway 10gateway build. my logic is as follows;
      i will be ~450 minerals better off (the cost of his 2 extra gateways and cybernetics core) -not including his slightly higher income or spendings on extra probes/assimilator. -
      I will get my gates faster than he gets his. in this time i can easily chronoboost out 4 zealots and charge in, making short work of his 1 or 2 zealots or stalkers he has at this point, i'll then focus down on a pylon or a few probes depending on the situation. in the time he is occupied with fending me off, i build my own assimilator's/cybernetics core and robo bay and get a couple of immortals and zealots. if he counter pushes he is destroyed, if he does not i can expand

against the terran turtle i simply go for fast dark templars and a warp prism. allows for safe expanding while dealing huge damage to his economy and forces him to waste scans or minerals on detection

am i thinking on the right lines here, or can i only pull this off because i'm facing people as bad as me?

thanks
      -will

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by McWill View Post
      against the terran turtle i simply go for fast dark templars and a warp prism. allows for safe expanding while dealing huge damage to his economy and forces him to waste scans or minerals on detection
      You are thinking along the right lines in protoss scenario. Being proactive is better than sitting there massing units waiting for him to attack =D lols. But you got to be careful to not lose those early zealots with micro cause double gate @10 really hurts your econ so if you lose all the zealots you COULD be screwed cause he could easily switch strats and just go 2 gate 1 robo instead of 4gate. But worth a try right? =D

Terran turtling....DT is not the way to go lols. Smart terrans will always have one scan ready and yes you can warp in say 4 DTs, attack with one he scans and kills one, then you move in the other 3, but depending on the terran strat it's really hit or miss. Your investment in DTs is substantial. What is to stop him from rolling his bioball into your base and taking you out faster than your DT can take out his? +he can float his racks or CC if you relied too much on DTs. Prism+DTs is just two way different tech paths to even consider rushing for. Focus on breaking a turtling terran by some other means. Usually a good timing push with either colossus, immortals, and or VR. DTs could also be effective too up front. Sacrifice first DT to the scan, then destroy depot with the next 3-4 quickly. But I don't know. DTs + Prism might work in silver if they are bad enough to let you take that much time to tech to both lols. Doesn't happen when I play. >.<

Downloads
      Uploads
      It works very well in Silver, Sillie. All of my friends are like mid-silver level players and I cant even count the times DT warps have crippled them when we play 3v3/4v4
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Moderas View Post
      It works very well in Silver, Sillie. All of my friends are like mid-silver level players and I cant even count the times DT warps have crippled them when we play 3v3/4v4
      Haha yeah its okay in 3s or 4s .. even I do it to screw around. But in 1s or 2s it is kind of hard to pull. 3s and 4s I usually do stupid things like VR rush or mothership rush or mass archons lols.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Mass Archons?!?! That sounds like 3-4 bases economy there O.o
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      thanks for the feedback.
      i played a platinum player last night who did just that and changed strats. i did manage to do enough damage with my zealots to justify my attack i think, but i was at a disadvantage in the midgame and i did end up loosing :P

i'm not sure i fully understand why DT's are a good option for toss but aren't a good against terran though?

by this point in the game most toss players will have an observer and or a photon cannon. DT's will be get owned by anything but zealots if spotted.
      1 scan is the loss about about 250 minerals right? so even if i kill nothing its an even trade for a DT. also (in silver) a terran blockade usually has its entire army guarding the choke. so even with a scan i am able to destroy alot of scv's before he can do anything about it. i dont use alot of DT's, i'd have maybe 3 and then hide them among zealots, amazingly alot of terrans don't scan when i do this until after the zealots die :S
      my choke will be guarded by 2 additional DT's on hold position, he cant scan both locations at once without skipping mules.
      while he can lift off and render my attack usless, he will have no (or a halved) income until he lands so its still worth it imo.
      a single raven would spell my doom, but i rarely see them and if i knew he was geting them i wouldnt go for DT's.

i know they are holes in my strategy, but (again, in silver) terran turtle means they sit in there base for the entire game and then try to roll you in 1 massive 200/200 attack of MMM or battleships or something stupid like that. i have more than enough time to invest in this tech.
      sorry for the long posts :P
      -will