+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The sixth sense in gaming..
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

The sixth sense in gaming..

Last night I played with this Protoss Master league player from the team liquid chatroom.

At the start of the game, after some exchange of GLs and HFs he asked me..

“I changed to random because I saw the plat” – (I thought hmmm this one is cocky..)

“You know this site, why are you still in platinum ?”
      “Jinro is good, go try to steal some builds..”

After beating my ass a couple of times he was kind enough to ask me..

“Do you know why you lost?”

He kept on asking questions after I answered him.. After the long chat I realized he made me think and analyze what is going on. I said to myself maybe he was not an ass anyway.. I thanked him for that.. He really made me wake up..

He told me that I don’t know what I’m doing, I don’t know where I am in the game, and I don’t have “game sense”..

How does anyone develop game sense?

He parted saying that I need to work on my game sense, I asked him how can I develop it he says maybe some experience and thought but I think there could be a faster way to develop it.
      Maybe you guys can share about this stuff.
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."

Downloads
      Uploads
      "game sense" is a general term which represents a massive collection of skills you can only get by playing. Game sense is your awareness, your timings, your ability to adjust your macro to always be low on money regardless of the situation, and your ability to adjust to slight changes in an opponents build. Even on top of those things, many other things are called "game sense." In general, you can not "work on" game sense, you can only play more and allow it to develop as you become more familiar.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      You may copy others by sitting back in your boat and letting the wind carry you, or you may learn to wield your sails so that the wind carries you where choose to.

Learn to take your game where you want, don't let the game drive you. The "game sense" would be the "ability" to see your situation in-game, whatever the moment. Those who don't have the game sense will need the "under attack" message to realise they're being attacked, while the one with the game sense will have spotted the ennemy move on his radar...

To develop your gaming skills, you need to develop yourself in video games. It's hard to explain, 'cause it's something you gotta live.

If I show you a new game, you'll have the information I give you on it, but it won't make you a gamer on that game. To play a game as your are told and play a game as you want is two worlds. When I try a new game, I always play it my way, and most often, it makes me laugh to see how off goal track it can get me ^^

I did The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with the starting three hearts and no deaths. You may know how a monster attacks, but if you can't respond to it, you get hit. I developped my ability to react to bosses. I must admit I get hit quite often by regular monsters, 'cause I can't be concentrated that much on the overall. But I did on all the monsters that could have one hitted me. How? Skills I guess =)

Skills can be improved, but they can also degrade. Once you go deep into something, there is somehow a no turning back on being an elite. Even when you fail, you'll do it with precision as you'll know exactly how to.

Skills are fun, but don't concentrate on only one too much, 'cause there are plenty of fun ones out there.

Cheers to training skills! =)
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)

Downloads
      Uploads
      game sense in starcraft 2 mostly involves knowing a lot of the timings and what your opponent can and should have depending on the units you see and the time in the game. Its knowing things like timing windows, like attacking the toss after he 4 gates and if you defend it before he gets colossus. its things like that where you have to go back to your replays and analyze them and figure out how ahead or behind you actually were and compare that to where you thought you were at that point in the game
      slowbadon.139 add me

Downloads
      Uploads
      I have some legitimate thoughts on this, but basically it involves not copying others builds when developing game sense (which I don't have much of).

As a kid when I went to a friends house if they explained to me the rules and strategies I would try copying their playstyle and never really advanced in my own right. This is why I sucked at C&C and halo 1. But, when I bought the games myself and just learned through winging it you just feel comfortable with what your doing. Which was why I kicked ass at halo 2 and warcraft 2.

As great as sites like the UEN and teamliquid are they only truly help players who already hit a plateau. It's like trying out wrestling and trying to learn a kimora before you even know a basic two step takedown.

How are you supposed to learn if your glass is already full
      Last edited by NightlyNews; 02-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.
      Why my name is NightlyNews ---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/slow-jam-the-news-jimmy-f_n_830759.html
      ID: Brian (1312)

Downloads
      Uploads
      You pretty much have to take in EVERY single match, for 1000's of matches to develop a good one, supreme commander is my example, you get to a point where you can tell what he is doing by unit composition, and numbers without looking at his base. Itll get to the same point in SC2 where you will see certain unit numbers at a certain time and go "I know what he is doing and what he has!"

The same applies for where you should be in regards to this (however that comes to whether you spotted it in time). Of course scouting is really important in SC2, but by scouting the front, or by seeing how many bases they have you will be able to formulate a plan. Rather than just do what you are doing and get hammered.

And anyway theres not as much to learn as you might think, the best counter to someones attack, is generally just an even bigger, well positioned attack. All attacks come when you least expect them! SO make sure you expect them to come to you! The biggest advantage in an RTS is a maphack, knowing what they are doing, when they are doing it and what with. Its not that hard to just keep peeking rather than just guessing.

So far my losses in ladder this past week all come back down to I didnt see what they were doing. And if you didnt see it, watch the replay to see what went down yours and his end. Only take in information if you were playing 100% and your timings were top notch, this will develop the best game sense I believe.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I agree with what everyone here says absolutely. However, i have a slightly different take on it. Game sense is everything about what you, your team and your opponents are doing. Its an acute awareness that you develop that allows you to react without thinking. As a simple example: When you first start driving, you think about EVERYTHING and react. You don't know what could happen so who can blame you. Thats why you have practice to get your license. Over time you don't have to think about looking for Pedestrians, you just DO. It's a simple concept but not easy to learn of course unless you have natural talent. lol.

I used to play First person Shooters professionally and yes that means I actually made money doing it. I also trained people on this topic. But like I said Its about practice. I can talk more about this but it would just be a lot of references to driving and first person shooters. lol.
      Krawll-959
      Add me and feel the wrath of the bronze.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks! really nice inputs

I can see that it seems practice, experience and analysis are big factors to develop "game sense" but practice and experience can only take long and I might be in a slow learning curve.. What if I am learning the wrong way or the slow way? Is there other ways of learning faster? Or is analysis the only aspect of "game sense" I can work more on since it does not really rely on playing a lot more but more on thinking and understanding stuff...

Maybe you can use analysis in-game(scouting) and end-game(replays) which i really think the only factor I could speed up developing game sense.

Is there a guide or steps on developing such? "game sense" or "analysis"?

I learned to always look at the minimap and try to fix problems of visibility a tool to develop "game sense"

There are a lot of build orders to copy, a lot of timings to remember but maybe I must learn why do they do such a thing, what is the reason behind it and what is the reason why they bend/slightly change a build order after scouting or seeing something.
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."

Downloads
      Uploads
      sorry woreyour i don't think you lost cuz of game sense, i'm pretty sure it's because of macro.
      game sense only matters when players are very close in skill level. The difference between a Master and a Platinum is mostly macro =)

no matter how much game sense you have, if you're behind in macro you will not be able to execute the proper strategy to stop your opponent even though you sense what he/she is planning.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Game sense does help at all levels, most game feel like you were far behind, but just didnt read him right. I do agree macro plays a good part of it, but knowing when to macro also part of the game sense.

Chances are he even wasnt, but we wont know until we see the replay I suppose. Unfortunately, macro and micro can be practiced, byt combining them into an ever changing game where battle experience helps you figure out whats going on. Then it just comes down to practicing those things under real conditions.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!