+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Reviving 5 rax reaper
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Reviving 5 rax reaper

Basically everyone knows about how 5 rax reaper was good because you could harass with a bunch of reapers and then you have 5 rax with add ons to completely demolish them after the harass.

A new build similar to it is to get quick hellions off a reactor and while you harass with 4 you have 3 rax building tech labs and pump rauds. The hellions will likely force them into roach tech and then you move in with mass rauds + about 4-6 hellions to roast up the lings and demolish the roaches.

Its surprisingly effective I've seen people stay on ling tech and run to mutas with spines trying to defend their base. But, I just cut through their spines with my rauds and did so much economic damage that I was able to win with a second push after grabbing combat shields and +1 atck.

Basic build: wall off with supply + rax, get factory and build a reactor at the same time. Switch reactor onto factory and move out when you have 4 hellions. While doing so get 3-4 rax with 2-3 tech addons grab stim first and pump a mostly raud army (or pump more hellions its obviously game dependant). Good balance of mins gas because rauds, stim and combat shields eat gas and hellions eat minerals if you ever go over and you should have enough gas if u go 3 rax addon to get a quick attack upgrade.

Definetly all-inish, but even with not the greatest timings I've made it work, I'd be afraid to see it in the hands of a player who ironed out all my flaws. If you do decent damage, but somehow don't win you can transition into thor raud and if they are still making lings hellion.

TLDR: if your a zerg expect to see a lot of hellion raud all ins in the near future. (in practice games my best bet defending it was with armor lings and spines)
      Last edited by NightlyNews; 01-31-2011 at 11:25 PM.
      Why my name is NightlyNews ---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/slow-jam-the-news-jimmy-f_n_830759.html
      ID: Brian (1312)

Downloads
      Uploads
      this was my anti zerg build before and it worked for me until mid plat Fast mutas - 6-8 always gets me and getting thor will give me problems as I invested with Marauders pretty much. Also 3 queens + lings + spines can well defend it. Any ideas on how to improvise?
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."

Downloads
      Uploads
      If this gets out early enough maybe I can see this working, or against people who have poor building placement, however if you have a zerg who walls off most of their mineral line, making it harder to get in with hellions, then a queen will be able to prevent the hellion harass, while speedlings finish them off, also as soon as I see a reactor, I immediately think early pressure, if I see reactor first AND gas, then it really can only lead to mass hellions, as gas you only need for factory, then after for tech lab.

I would say if scouted your chances decrease, however it does sound interesting
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      This build is much like the 5 rax reaper push,
      Relying soley on the fact that the zerg cannot tech or are forced to tech to roaches while staying on lings, it is devastating as rauders will destroy roaches, and hellions will destroy lings.
      But well placed spines and unit control can prevent this, as well as good scouting.

This also reminds me of Xodust's BO that he tends to use against zerg, mass hellion into banshees, hellions force the zerg into lings/roachs while the banshees clean up everything else.
      A high-risk high-reward strategy but if it fails or you do not do enough damage to your opponent, you can just call gg from there.
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      it is viable..

Here it is happening to me two days ago

(i never said i was a great player )

for nightlynews - Starcraft 2 Replays - Starcraft 2 Forum

Downloads
      Uploads
      where do the reapers come in? hehe

This strat works well because Marauders take out the armored and hellions take out any light units. If the zerg does not make enough sunkens or roaches, it could be quite bad for zerg.

This is definately a strong attack, but it's hard to transition into mid game because your expansion is late and you don't have the proper add-ons for anti air.

The beautiful thing about this attack is it comes before mutas pop, so you have to do damage (probably best to time while the spire is halfway done). I would guess the attack timing to get the marauders out is around 9 to 10 minutes. This will delay the zerg's ability to get mutas out fast as they have to make ground units with their larvae.

suggestion:
      to make this build not so all-in, it's probably a good idea to make a command center after getting the first 2 hellions. You will have a smaller army but you can always turn back to your base if the zerg's army is bigger which will mean you're ahead because zerg doesen't have that many drones and you're both 2 basing.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks for the replay cazaril. That guy literally went every tech path: banshee opening hellion reactor mass rines vikings and thors.

I'm not sure how I would've responded to that either.
      Why my name is NightlyNews ---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/slow-jam-the-news-jimmy-f_n_830759.html
      ID: Brian (1312)

Downloads
      Uploads
      I am gonna try it and give you some feedback on it =)