+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Terran - Not Walling Off in Low Leagues
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Terran - Not Walling Off in Low Leagues

All,

I'm watching a lot of replays/commentaries of higher leagues, and I see many high level terran players do not wall off. Why is that? It seems to me that if I did not wall off in my league (silver), I'd get crushed by an early push.

I generally open with
      10 supply
      12/15 barracks
      16 gas/OCC
      17 supply.

thanks for your input!

get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think the reason you see this particularly in high-level play is because players of that caliber are confident they can handle early pressure with their build rather than relying on a blockade.

That said, the walloff strategy is highly match-specific; terran players in higher games are less likely to wall off against fellow terrans, for example, whereas against Zerg it may still be fairly common.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      Building your structures closer to your cc gives an economic edge as your scvs spending more time mining. Pros are good with their structure placement and unit control so that they can still handle rushes. All-in rushes are also less common in higher leagues so it's less of a risk not to wall off. I've still seen it cost the pros though. One game that comes to mind is Jinro losing in the semis to MC in the last season of the GSL, where MC just chrono'ed zealots on steppes, beating jinro's unwalled base.

There is also some disadvantages to walling off. Those structures can be very susceptible to siege tanks, void rays, colossi etc as they are right on the edge of your base.

My SC2 VODs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ketroc21

Downloads
      Uploads
      Actually a lot of players will wall of due to the randomness of the start game, as you wont be able to scout cheese in time on small maps, and that it will help them defend in case a push comes. The only reason I see for not walling off are the following:

> Playing against a terran, as the can just arc around the ramp and kill your buildings that are close to the edge, with marines, siege, banshess you name it.
      > You know EXACTLY what the opponent is doing, which the top level players can generally devise from the map being played and race. as well as early scouts etc.
      > Your going for cheese which requires a proxy rax or very tight timings where they wont get to your ramp at all, or very early pressure with 2 rax pressure, bunker rush etc.

Can a terran please elaborate as im only sure on some basic things, so that would be good to hear a terran perspective
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think it depends on the Matchup and the Map.

You don't have to wall against terran or protoss because they can snipe your supply depots if they go for an aggressive strategy. At times, people will opt to wall against a protoss on short maps where you don't have to scout for your opponent to know where they are such as steps.

Against a zerg, you would almost always want to wall off because speedlings with banelings can overwhelm you.
      The only times i would think of where you would be reluctant to wall off against zerg is on Steps (damn that map) where the zerg is more likely to 6 pool with drones all in. I find that it's easier to defend this rush if the barrack is close to the command center and not out at the ramp.

Downloads
      Uploads
      its a good question. walling off can help you survive early pressure as you said, but if you wall off it should always be for a reason that directly aids you. such as hiding something so your cheese cannot be scouted, or to prevent zerglings getting into your base. wall-ins for the sake of having a wall is really easy to harass. i am glad MC was brought up here, because it is his voidray build i stole that has literally won me 100% of games against a terran who plays standard after a pointless wall.

McWill 243 - EU