Thread: Is this a good opener?
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Is this a good opener?

10/10 double extractor trick
      12/10 overlord
      12/10 spawning pool ( should be the same time as overlord pop) upgrade metabolic boost once 100 gas
      12/10 send scout
      14/18 extractor ( 3 on gas as soon as it pops)
      14or15/18 hatchery
      15/18 lings
      17/18 overlord
      18/18 queen

Downloads
      Uploads
      i think Flamga uses that opening.

i find it good against zerg to be honest

Downloads
      Uploads
      I do use an opening similar, however I would like to say done confine yourself to a build order as zerg. Also is there a specific reason you go the double extractor trick? Unless there is a specific reason just dont do it. I do see that you use it to get an early pool, but why an early pool AND expand, as you wont be using the pool that early for pressure, and you will have enough larva if you just expand on 15 instead.

However my general build now days is:
      10/10 overlord then extractor trick, in that order (thats important)
      14 spawning pool
      14 gas

Thats quite literally my build order, then from scouting I can go into a few different paths:
      > Fast roach warren straight after spawning (against zerg and protoss) into
      speed roaches and nydus
      speed roaches and infestor
      > Expansion with speedlings and/or banelings (against terran and zerg) into
      2 base muta ling bling
      speedling hydra with aggressive creep spread

Then there is always just staying at hatch tech and obtaining another expansion on macro maps if they are turtling.

I would just say have a general plan, ie Day 9 has the best example, plan to get to the mid game, as thats where you can start to think about winning unless your going for early pressure, and use your early game build as a survival tactic, and this is from personal experience, most people dont account for late game, so just drag him into late game scenarios.

So a summation of your build would be to me:
      "Getting an early pool for early queen and lings to deny scouting and harassment, gas to obtain speedlings obtaining an expansion whilst harassing, then using lings for defence tech to lair to enter the midgame with either ling muta, ling hydra, ling bling muta etc"

I hope this all makes sense XD
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Seems like an improvised version of OMZ - dble extractor into a late overpool and expansion, but i havent tried so i dont know if its good.
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      It seems like a fine build to me. I only have the same questions as Flamga, if you are doing a slightly early pool can you also do an expo on 15? I feel like you may want to expo on 18 and then you can use all of your larva appropriately... but I haven't played with your build to know how that timing works. Also, usually if I go pool a little early like that (12 as opposed to 14/15) it's more of defensive posturing vs. a proxy rax/gate or vs. another zerg who may be 6 pooling or something and that gives me a little extra defensive time.

I'm keen on 14/15 pool or expo builds. I think this is a good generally early enough plan to stay alive and allows for some semi-early map control as well. The primary goal of your early troops is to deny an early expo by your opponent (or know about it) and to deny bunkers/proxy pylons around the map to buy you additional time in the case of warp gate rushes or early terran pressure. If you aren't doing those two things or seeing a need for them with a 12 pool, then I would recommend going to a 14/15 pool or expo or both to give yourself a more rounded gameplan.

But... in the end it's what you feel comfortable with. It's likely the largest reason you are dying is not because you are building a building 2 drones earlier - there are probably other gaps that are doing that.

Hope that helps!
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      thanks for the reply, and flamga i do the extractor trick to get my pool up earlier for those early pushes. like a powerful early 2 gate chrono boost zealot rush with proper micro can take out a zerg who doesn't have a pool even up and ready. and using drone using drone will be going with his plan, and running away with drone will still be hard to fight back losing all those mining time. it is good against most zerg rush even spine rush.

i will play around with me build and make the hatch later = D thanks guys

and OMZ thanks for the advice, its not that im posting it cause it sucks.. i've use this opener a lot cause it can transition to many things roaches, speeding ( or speedling meele +1 ) banling or even go to lair and tech up. if yu notice the enemy expanding, you can drone up and saturate your expo.
      i just wanted to see if i can improve it cause this opener won me most of my games, it all depends on micro and macro.
      Last edited by JuiceBox; 02-01-2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: answering OMZ reply