+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Busting siege tanks
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Busting siege tanks

Probs a nub question, but 75% of the terrans I come up against seal off their ramp with siege tanks. This decimates almost anything I push with. I've tried putting a heavier mix of immortals in but by the time I'm through marines have cut them down and the tanks have dealt with anything else. They also decimate anything coming in on the low ground in lost temple.
      Pro tips for destroying tanks ploz

Downloads
      Uploads
      Check around with an observer, and if they have no missile turrets by the tanks, pick the tanks up with phoenix as your hitting. Even if they kill your phoenix, it gives you a little time to get closer.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Have you tried not destroying them. Try just keeping tabs on his front to block expansion attempts or to intercept tanks in transit. Meanwhile you can expand hard yourself with chronoboost dedication on probes. You can also mix in harassment with warp prism play to abuse tank immobility. For busting tank lines, an immortal mix is what you want. I'd only try that more out in the open though, not going up the terran's ramp.

My SC2 VODs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ketroc21

Downloads
      Uploads
      Just as Ketroc suggested, it's probably best to just leave the terran alone when they turtle like this.

If terrans turtle up with tanks like this, it will most likely mean a relatively fast expand. Tanks cost alot of money so if they don't expand they aren't going to be that strong later game. If the terran expands, you have a window where you can bust in with immortals and zealots (some stalkers). This window is right around as the command center finishes, you should hit and do damage.

The safer way to go about it is just expand yourself.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I concur with everything that has been said.

I also want to add that with the timing of them pushing out to take their expansion you can push in with your army and use a warp prism to drop immortals onto the tanks. This will do a couple things.

First, your other units will likely take the marine fire that is most damage to your immortals' hardened shields. Secondly, the Immortals will be able to get to the terrans tanks as opposed to being stuck firing their heavy anti-armor shots vs. marines or marauders (which is good if they fire at marauders too). This is especially effective if you can drop in from the side while your army fights in the front and hopefully pulls out the terran force a little.

This is very difficult and technical though as it requires good micro and understanding of positioning on spot judgement calls.

Also, if the terran is heavily bunkered and layered, you might want to just wait them out and out expand them - that's usually a good call.
      OneManZerg - 971