+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: ZvT question. Whats a good opening?
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

ZvT question. Whats a good opening?

How do you guys open usually? For example, 10 pool 15 FE?

Downloads
      Uploads
      I've been partial to the opener described here of late, and it works particularly well against Terrans. I'd strongly recommend it for someone who's just getting adjusted to ZvAnyone until you can refine your own comfort zones.

That said, it's also rather map dependent, of course. On Scrap, for example, I still go 14 expo 15 pool simply because you are almost guaranteed to have the time.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think the best thing to do is to get a build order or two and play it a lot until you know what to do depending on the situation. I have been using 14 hatch 15 pool for a long time, because I liked to get my spawning pool and my second hatch finished at the same time, and then be able to build 2 queens. You know, just when that build order feels right. Choosing a build order depends on your play style, some prefer the bulky roach / hydra composition and others prefer the speedy zergling/baneling/mutas. I mainly use 3 build orders.

1. 14 hatch 15 pool --- FE
      -When their build order looks VERY normal. (1 gate, cybercore. Barracks WITH gas.)

2. 12 extractor, 13 pool --- Baneling Bust
      -When I see a terran mass marines or a zerg mass zerglings/ zergling rush. (Terrans with double barracks/no gas, Zergs with 12- pool/no gas.)

3. 13 pool 14 gas 18 roach warren --- Roach Rush.
      -Works pretty well. It has been used a lot some time ago versus protoss and was really hard to defend. Protosses got used to it and could counter it easily but now people kinda forgot that this build order exists .

Downloads
      Uploads
      Also remember you dont have to rush, if he is one basing, and you got said gas early for a baneling bust, you could expand instead, or tech to lair for bane speed and muta. You cant rush things, as zerg units are much weaker than the other races and throwing away units as zerg is detrimental to your build, as you want to make sure you arent wasting drones replacing army instead of droning.

However against terran themself, i would prefer on a small map 14pool 14gas and head for roach if i see reactor hellions or speedlings anything else, a large map would be 15expand 14pool 14gas with the same emphasis on above, roaches if reactor hellions, speedlings everything else
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I do the same thing Flamga does Oink.

I go 15 FE, 15 Pool, 15 Extractor on larger maps and 14/15pool and 14/15 Extractor usually into a 20 expand on smaller maps. If the terran doesn't spot your expo he likely throws off the early pressure allowing for a 20 expand. Also, I haven't done any testing but if I do the 15/15 pool/extractor into 20 or so expo then I can usually straight drone off of one base as the terran won't push out if he knows the zerg is 1 base'ing. That usually gives you a little advantage too as you won't burn any earlier resources on extra lings, but at the same time you usually get a little mineral heavy.

Anyways, that last little part they also talked about in the TL post as but also that the 11 pool into 18 expo gives your opponent a reason to go defense early which can lower their macro game a bit in prep for an early hit.

Also, that 11 pool TL build doesn't divulge when to build an extractor - which is kinda important. =p
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      If you have a few hours to waste, you can read through the entire list of comments on the thread posting that exact complaint (as well as that it doesn't give you a specified time to scout). I like its flexibility precisely because I can drop an extractor whenever I feel comfortable doing so. But I tend to gravitate towards the obscure and peculiar strategies regardless, so I wouldn't say it's for everyone.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8