+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Help with zerg build order
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Help with zerg build order

Hey guys I have a build order that I like pretty well. Occasionally the build doesn't work. Here is the build order

9-overlord
      15-hatchery
      15-spawning pool
      16-extractor

From there I just mass zerglings which generally work because I have so many. The problem is whenever the rush doesn't work I am so far behind, it is extremely difficult to catch up to my opponents. If you have any ideas that would enable me to rush with mass zerglings and tech at the same time, please share them with me.

Thanks!! =)
      Add me
      Name- SOAmessi
      Character Code- 455

Downloads
      Uploads
      Your build order you're talking about looks a lot like this one :

-http://www.theuen.com/build-orders/zerg/mass-zergling

Instead of massing a lot of zerglings first, send a drone and see if your attack will work. If he's walled off / bunkered, just don't make those zerglings and expand / double gas-tech up. Ooor, when you see it doesn't work, make a full batch of drones with your larvae, zerglings cost the same thing as drones (50 mins, 1 larvae) So you should be right on the money.

Edit: If you feel aggressive, you could also put that 2nd hatchery at your expo and use it once you have to switch from that mass zergling push.
      Last edited by Zilmerx; 01-22-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      the build you describe pretty much relies that they do not have a wall, so this is barely going to work against most terrans and protoss. if you wish to go the mass zerglings route, i would probably advise the pool first, maybe 14 pool 14 gas or 14 gas 13 pool, then get your hatchery when you can afford it. the issue is you cant tech and mass units at the same time with zerg, its extremely hard :/

hence you would have to opt for some form of baneling bust, especially against terran and protoss, but i would use this only to damage their economy rather than go for the win. the damage will allow you to either expand, tech or drone up some more.

probably the biggest thing is the 15 hatch, if your going that early its nigh impossible to get early pressure on, as it delays the pool and extra lings considerably by which time terrans and toss will have a wall + units to defend with which turn the bust into an all in type of build, as you dont want to have to waste so much resources just to get his wall down
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      If you really wish to go massed lings you should go 9 pool speedling then expand around 20ish supply. You will need the second hatchery to keep up in both production and economy. You will also have to make sure you are using the lings to their full potential. Deny all scouting, expansions, harassment, etc. Playing like this will usually force your opponent to turtle up which gives you time to drone/tech on 2 base and take your third *hopefully* putting you in the lead.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      I would recommend:
      9 Over
      14 Pool
      13 Extract
      16 Over
      16 Queen

From there you can either build drones or lings until 20 and then expand or keep pressure on. Keeping drones on gas after 100 is up to you, but definitely get 100 for that speed. I wouldn't recommend mass lings until you know maps really well and are good at keeping map control. Mass lings is good in team games, but very very risky in 1v1 because it gives the enemy a nice one minute window of vulnerability when you have no troops and they do.

Downloads
      Uploads
      short answer; you can't cheese and tech.

its pretty all-in imo. if they don't wall in then by all means go for it, its almost guaranteed to end the game so its a smart move. i would not recommend it otherwise, its really risky. you'll kill a greedy player like myself in close positions, but on cross positions thanks for giving me a free win.

instead of mass lings i'd recommend enough lings to stop scouting/harass and secure map control

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
      I would recommend:
      9 Over
      14 Pool
      13 Extract
      16 Over
      16 Queen

From there you can either build drones or lings until 20 and then expand or keep pressure on. Keeping drones on gas after 100 is up to you, but definitely get 100 for that speed. I wouldn't recommend mass lings until you know maps really well and are good at keeping map control. Mass lings is good in team games, but very very risky in 1v1 because it gives the enemy a nice one minute window of vulnerability when you have no troops and they do.
      Quote Originally Posted by McWill View Post
      short answer; you can't cheese and tech.

its pretty all-in imo. if they don't wall in then by all means go for it, its almost guaranteed to end the game so its a smart move. i would not recommend it otherwise, its really risky. you'll kill a greedy player like myself in close positions, but on cross positions thanks for giving me a free win.

instead of mass lings i'd recommend enough lings to stop scouting/harass and secure map control
      well said, and there is nothing stopping you from seeing a vulnerability in his wall, or no wall at all and just massing lings, as byt the time you have speed you will have likely scouted his front
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks guys, I appreciated your help and I will try your suggestions out.
      Add me
      Name- SOAmessi
      Character Code- 455