+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: How do you counter mass stalkers?
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

How do you counter mass stalkers?

I need your guys' help with countering stalkers. I like to play as zerg and I have had a lot of trouble against Protoss who mass stalkers. If you have any suggestions please tell me.
      Add me
      Name- SOAmessi
      Character Code- 455

Downloads
      Uploads
      If stalkers are in small number (1 row), roaches are cost effective.
      If he gets many stalkers, Hydras might be big deal ( Light - Bio and high DPS makes them a good counter to stalkers, The only disadvantage being speed. )
      If he gets a crap load of stalkers(Huge friggin ball), get some ultralisks, They are the hard counter.

Try mixing them all at the same time, too, Ultras - Roaches - Hydras will give you a good DPS and a good "Stack" of units: If you get too many Ultras, roaches, or Hydras, some will just make some retard moves instead of attacking.
      U = Ultralisks
      R = Roaches
      H=Hydralisks.
      S = Stalkers
      - = 1 range
      In the example, 1 row of stalkers can hit your Hydras, they will live for long.
      Roaches will live for less time, But anyway they'r screwed by Ultralisks.If you can Micro, get 2 rows of Roaches, Many rows of Hydras and be as close as possible to the Ultralisks. Roaches will stop moving foward at the range of 4, but if you micro them and send them at range 3, 2 rows of Roaches will be attacking at the same time.
      This:
      ' = Retarded

If they stay in a big ball, Ultras will stomp them really fast.
      If they blink away, just a-move in their base.
      If they blink in, your Higher DPS will kill them fast.
      If he ever decides to switch to void rays, Use your hydras.
      If he ever decides to go colossus. Have some focus-fire with your roaches, or just a-move (If he doesn't run away with his colossus theyll get raped by Ultralisks.)

After that, its just micro stuff (Concave, for example) and upgrades. If he reaches 200/200 of stalkers, Try to save money and save larvaes. Once the big battle comes, attack, when you have lost some food (Like 50 food) back up, reinforce with Ultras and faceroll.

Downloads
      Uploads
      speedling surround is always solid early. Hydras a pretty hard counter later on. Banelings is probably the only unit that is terrible vs stalkers, but I'd also stay clear of massing roaches, ultras, or air vs a heavy stalker build.
      Last edited by Ketroc; 01-22-2011 at 05:54 PM.

My SC2 VODs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ketroc21

Downloads
      Uploads
      Speedlings + insert any unit that cost gas

Downloads
      Uploads
      My recommendations are this:

If the stalker count is less than 15 you are probably good to fight them with zerglings but you will want to get a surround. If they have blink, this will not be good for your zerglings as they will be kited reasonably well even though they are the fastest unit in the game, however... just get a lot of them and keep surrounding the stalkers - you should be able to have about 6 zerglings for every stalker they have. Also, if they have blink you will want to add in what rips up stalkers best for zerg:

Hydralisks. Hydralisks do a ton of damage to stalkers and because they aren't armored the stalkers don't get the +damage to armored units vs. Hydralisks. Hydralisks also do about 2x the DPS of roaches making them tear up stalkers faster. Your best bet vs. mass stalkers (15+ with blink) is hydralisks and/or brood lords.

If they get colossus + stalker then you need to have a diverse army as well that includes Roach, Hydra, maybe some lings (since you'll likely have extra minerals) and Corruptor (for the colossus). This way the roaches can help absorb the colossus damage as well as the stalker damage while your hydralisks in back tear sh** up.

I typically focus on a ling/hydralisk combo in the mid to late game vs. Protoss as Hydralisks do well vs. all protoss units except colossus and high templar and lings do excellent dps. If they start to add a ton of zealots in though, add roaches to your army composition as the roach armor/hp is a great counter to Z's. But, continue to get Hydras as their DPS is about as good as it gets for Zerg at their cost.

Hope that helps.
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      OMZ do you ever see a use for Ultra's vs toss?

Downloads
      Uploads
      yea, late game when toss has their uber armies. I'm talking Colossus + Stalkers + Zealots + whatever else. You get Ultras in there and they will break the front line. and tank damage so your hydralisks can get in there. If you go Ultralisks vs. Toss they have 2 choices really. Air, and well controlled blink stalkers.

I love Ultralisks vs. Toss, I just am so late in teching to damn hive all the time. =p
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      Ya I struggle with getting to hive as well. Generally when I do its out of desperation, I need to focus more on my mid-late game. Such is life.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by OneManZerg View Post
      If you go Ultralisks vs. Toss they have 2 choices really. Air, and well controlled blink stalkers.
      A stalker base with immortals works quite well. I've seen archons put to good use vs ultras as they can also tank and deal good damage vs ultras like immortals do. I saw Huk use this to great effect. He had immortals archons templar with a big stalker base. He'd open the battles with storm then convert to archons. Archon + immortal + stalkers do good dps to the ultras, and if the ultras fled, he'd use blink to snipe a couple more.

My SC2 VODs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ketroc21