+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Need help in TvP cross-map on metalopolis
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Need help in TvP cross-map on metalopolis

... or basically any long distance map without open areas in the middle.

I find it too hard to have the superior army count to win an offensive battle as my reinforcements are so far away. Then once toss gets a high supply count, be it heavy robo or high temps, I've lost the ability to dominate any battles.

TvP Diamond - crossmap Metalopolis - Starcraft 2 Replays - Starcraft 2 Forum

Here's a replay of my problem. I made a few micro mistakes and poor engagement decisions. Also at 15min my macro slipped when he threw away his army. But basically I was way ahead in upgrades, slightly ahead in economy, slightly ahead on units lost tab, but unable to do damage offensively.

The only way I've ever beaten a protoss on cross-map metal (where he didn't make a stupid mistake) is by cutting the map in half by adding tanks and wasting 1hour+ to get a win.
      Last edited by Ketroc; 01-16-2011 at 09:24 AM.

My SC2 VODs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ketroc21

Downloads
      Uploads
      Fighting a protoss army in any small area is pretty much instant GG for a terran, so Metal can be a very very hard map to engage on. From what I have seen in the GSL, Terran usually only commit to an attack if it is A. at their opponents expo B. at their own or C. they have one of the central high ground areas. These areas generally allow you to get an actual concave instead of having your entire army melted by colossus at the same time.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      It looks like to me he had a better army composition. You weren't able to reach those colossis and the forcefields just kept cutting your army in half. Maybe having some vikings to make sure he had no collosis. He was beating u with his superior army size it looked like.
      Character Name: Zabad
      Code: 634
      add me if u want to practice for a few games

Downloads
      Uploads
      imo colossus armies will melt any bio you throw at them, its almost impossible to be cost effective against them in a straight fight. they are very strong, but very slow. colossus also suck by themselvs, a small group of marauders will easily win them. if protoss gets colossus its safe to assume his whole army is clumped together because thats where it is strongest. this makes them quite vulnerable to drops. Drop one base, if he attack moves his army, drop another, if he splits his army up, stim in and snipe a colossus or 2 while they are vulnerable. Alternatively you could play hyper aggressively and trade armies regularly so the colossus are never very well defended.
      basically you want to avoid a straight fight with a large army at all costs. turtle up with tanks and harass, wait for the push or slowly creep foward. when the engagement finally comes try and force it in the widest area possible.
      for HT's drops and harass wont work as well but he gains speed at the cost of power, if you mix in a few ghosts you can emp and just go kill him.

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      You can take the Jinro route. Go with a mech build vs. Protoss. He used tanks and thor's with marines to deal sick damage to protoss. For the Immortals he had 250mm auto cannons on his thor's as well. I don't know the exact details for how to work it out but it seemed to work really well for him.

Tanks - provide superior range and splash damage
      Thor's - reasonable anti-air, strong damage, strong tankage (bring scv's along). 250mm cannons help eliminate immortal threats. Also, thor's can crush force fields making sentry usage (one of the primary reasons protoss beats terran in large fights) largely irrelevant
      Marines - plain old sick damage dealers. Help deal with immortals as well as provide a good buffer zone to your tanks.

If they go heavy zealots you can throw in blue flame hellions as well. SPOILER ALERT (it is a week old though) Jinro used this strategy and 2-0'd oGsMC, the reigning GSL champion who has been tearing terrans up. oGsMC in the previous season 4-0'd Jinro too, so this was a huge turn around and a build style Jinro claimed he went 15-2 on ladder vs. protoss with. Also, he said the people he went 15-2 with it were people who were previously beating him frequently.

Caveat: I know not the details of the build order or much about how to use it. I just saw Jinro use it beautifully two games in a row vs. oGsMC - two of my favorite GSL games ever. =)
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      damn OMZ, giving protoss people a hard time with that intel.
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Something to note before trying mech vs Protoss is that you must be EXTREMELY patient. The build requires that you macro perfectly, set up tank + turret lines to be fully defended, and slowly zone off parts of the map. You will also need to scout extensively to see if he tries to counter with immo/charge or skytoss because your reaction to those will be very very different. 3+ bases are a minimum to support true mech play. Remember, the strength of mech is in your ability to turtle up on just as many if not more bases than your opponent and build an army of the most cost effective units in the game while your opponent is forced to leave you alone.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Mech was alot easier to deal with before when thors had energy, feedback = half health to thor, it was beautiful
      Also remember drops, they are uncommon for protoss but it may happen, protoss drops usually consist of 4 zealot/stalker or dt's, sometimes ht for storm.
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)