+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noob question How can i deal with a cannon rush??
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Noob question How can i deal with a cannon rush??

I just played a match against a protoss that cannon rushed me. I spotted the pylon below my ramp but didn't know how to counter it. Any tips on how I should have played to counter this strategy??
      Attached Files
      Character Name: Zabad
      Code: 634
      add me if u want to practice for a few games

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hey Zabad, I posted a replay a while back of me defending a 2 gate + cannon rush using a bunker by my CC. If you want to check it out, it may help you a bit. Alternatively, a bunker with a marauder inside and 1-2 SCV repairing will bust down a cannon *or* you can try to scout it earlier and swarm the pylon with SCV's.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      alright thanks for the advice. Next time i'll try destroying the pylon with some of my svs

Downloads
      Uploads
      to stop a cannon, u need 3 scvs attacking as soon as it is being warped in, 4 of them will kill it before it finishes. also try to keep 1-2 scvs on the enemy probe while this is happening
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      watch out for this kind of cheese, scout early (perhaps when you make your depot) and detect anything out of the ordinary (missing buildings from enemy base [it also enables u to harass and know what kind of build the enemy is going]) if u dont disable the attack its very easy to lose. I got proxy zealotted (im terran) and lost bc i didnt pull enough workers to kill the buildings. if the buildings are already forming u might want more than less scvs. the earlier u detect the cheese the easier it is to stop. if u are being proxy zeal'd getting gas early is not recommended imo (of course this could be circumstantial, i prefer marines tho) if u are being canonned u Might want marauder tech to deal with it via micro or go all marines and scvs to punish him/her base. hope that helps.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll make sure to use all your tips while playing and the next time this comes up

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Zabad
      alright thanks for the advice. Next time i'll try destroying the pylon with some of my svs
      That is not a correct response. It hurts your economy too much to pull scvs. Especially when he can cancel and remake his structures at little cost while maintaining a much higher income as your scvs are pulled.

Specific to your replay, if you made a 2nd marine you would have been able to stuff his attempt to build more cannons. Instead you lifted your rax (rax can sit in cannon range for while if needed) and put an add-on on it. With only 1 marine on the field, you weren't able to stop the new cannons at the top of your ramp.

If cannons are placed at the bottom of your front ramp on jungle basin. I'd just put a bunker that ranges the top of your ramp so he can't progress further and fill it with marines from your 1 barracks, then expand to your natural expansion off just the 1 rax. This way you'll take the lead economically as he's invested in cannons to start and you can just stomp the cannons later with marauders or tanks or something... or use medivacs or your backdoor rocks to bypass it and hit him hard.

Any cannon rush or proxy gate that doesn't block your path to his base, you should just turtle and proxy rax him as his base defense will be non-existent.
      Last edited by Ketroc; 01-14-2011 at 10:00 PM.

My SC2 VODs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ketroc21

Downloads
      Uploads
      i agree with ketroc. pylons are cheap, protoss can cancel or make another quite easily while getting way ahead in economy, your scv's cannot stop them all. if you get a chance to swarm anything, make it the probe. bunker at the top of your ramp so no more of them can get in your base, and deal with what's already in your base in your own time. if you've killed the probe already then absolutely, swarm the pylon with scv's if its in a dangerous position.

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      How to beat cheese by Brian:

Be cheesing them harder before they can kill you :]

Only thing I can add to ketrok is that scouting their base for a forge is a hell of a lot easier than scouting the rest of the map for a pylon. Just make sure they aren't forge fast expanding instead of cannon rushing you.
      Why my name is NightlyNews ---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/slow-jam-the-news-jimmy-f_n_830759.html
      ID: Brian (1312)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by NightlyNews View Post
      How to beat cheese by Brian:

Be cheesing them harder before they can kill you :]

Only thing I can add to ketrok is that scouting their base for a forge is a hell of a lot easier than scouting the rest of the map for a pylon. Just make sure they aren't forge fast expanding instead of cannon rushing you.
      Or even scouting the lack of a 2nd pylon should hint to early pressure of some sort. Proxy gate, proxy pylon, hidden void or DT tech, etc.

My SC2 VODs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ketroc21