+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Hydralisks and Ultralisk ...compilation of mutations a zerg must not have.
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Hydralisks and Ultralisk ...compilation of mutations a zerg must not have.

Well, that's my last doubt about units (by now).

They are slow moving, they are expensive ,have low damage for air units (any air unit does the same damage or more to air units, and have more mobility), they lack of a decent amount of health, once again ground to ground units deal more damage and have more live, mobility, and other habs...their "only thing" is that in fact they are the only groun to air unit, and get built a few seconds faster than mutas.... :S

Also we have the Ultralisk, a really expensive unit, takes for ages to get, due to their tech development needs. Its a unit that burrows.....oooh! really usefull at a late game when 99% of players have detctors. they are fast, but not quite a lot, they ahve nerfed their damage, their area of damage was nerfed as well, their charge hab was reduced, and the warst of all....Teraans have BC, Toss have Carriers, (both attack air and ground) and Zergs have ultras..only Ground to ground, cant pass throught many places due to their size, and get "stopped" by your own army.

Does anyone use those units, when? whats their real use and purpose. I canīt really see their use, and how the resources used in them can be a real good investment.

As you seee, I'm full of doubts , sorry for bothering, and thanks for your patience and help.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      add me as your friend...or foe ;)
      LemanRuss #105 :: USA
      LemanRuss #618 :: EU GMT

Downloads
      Uploads
      Your thinking about this wrong. Ultras do have a niche appeal in that they are only really usable if your opponent gets stuck on stalkers or marines, that being said if they do stay on those low tier units and you have ultras you will rip them to shreds.

Also, ultras are probably one of the best base wreckers (behind rauds) at taking on cannons and planetary fortresses. You compare Ultras to carriers and BC's. I can't agree more 90% of the time you should completely ignore these expensive units, but in situations where they are valid they are damn strong.

Hydras aren't as flashy as mutas, but they have some of the highest dps/cost in the game (marines and melee units are probably better). They are still extremely useful against banshees, gateway units, phoenix's and as roach backup (i really only suggest this for zvz tho).

The only unit in the game I say is truly worthless is the mothership. I've seen interesting things done with mass recall, but otherwise its a flying liability.
      Last edited by NightlyNews; 11-26-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I did type this out before but my net dropped >.< anyway lets do this again lol:

Ultras are base destroyers, along with banelings and broodlords. Banes are one shot only so no good late, and broodlords are good only if you have air superiority. Like the other units they need a combination of other units to succeed, i.e. ultras in the front then flank with lings, send some hydra to reinforce for aa, infestors (:O i said the I word) to stick those untis in place. If you have ever seen ultras tear through a mech ball or armoured unit ball youll see what I mean they are very efficient. However you wont get them till late game so youll just add them to the combination you had before

Hydras are the same they need a combination i.e. roaches to tank while they do the damage, similar to the marine, another high dps unit with low health. And the aa damage they do is insane.

However you said your issue was also speed? I agree they are slow in their own rights, however this is where your creep spread comes in, late game there is nothing stopping you from using spare ovies to poop creep in battle areas or make highways, or use tumors aggressively. This is why creep is so important to zerg, it makes their units so potent!

Remember though, roach hydra, which is the most common combination for hydra, is mostly defensive due to the speed issues, that is unless you get the creep out there. It can them quickly become very deadly as they wont be ablt to keep up with you.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I've actually seen zerg overlord drop about 10 hydras into the probe line on scrap station. Was incredibly effective and his opponent couldn't counter attack because when he brought them back he had a very powerful roach hydra ball.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think every unit in SC2 has its own use, more with hydras and ultras. Hydras simply is the best all around DPS in Zergs arsenal with is its insane damage per second = 16/sec i think.. (note that what u see on the damage icon is not really the exact damage output it deals per second since u need to calculate it by rate of fire) its only disadvantage that really counts is its movement speed, thou its health is somewhat okay. Ultras on the other hand are good tanks for your army and can be focus fired by your enemies to give way for your damage dealers and give them more time to deal their damage. Ultras are also fast and sturdy (if upgraded with its Chitinous Plating will serve zerglings/marines useless to damage it) that they could deal with terran's tank lines.
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."

Downloads
      Uploads
      ling/bling/hydra/infestor is actually the best counter to terran bioball, since hydras outrange marines and marauders, and you can take out medivacs that way, although its a lot harder to pull off than ling/bling/roach/infestor. since hydras are squishier so you have to fungal growth and get out of range so your hydras can kill them without getting touched.
      slowbadon.139 add me