Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Infestors...a unit worth?
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Infestors...a unit worth?

The title says it all.

I donīt find of any use the infestors, since they are reallly delicate, marines donīt last, you have to get close to use the goo(fungal growth) and it means be the focus of fire, and neural parasite, has to be evolved, and gets you out of cover(once again be the focus of enemy fire).

After see a lot of replays from top players, UEN league games, and friendly games. I see noone using them. Even the old "fashion" of using them with banelings...I use banelings, but not infestors, since baneling go with lings or roaches, or another unit, and while the main army attacs in front charge the banelings attack by behind or the side. SO no use for the goo.

Do you really use it? when? please enlight me.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      add me as your friend...or foe ;)
      LemanRuss #105 :: USA
      LemanRuss #618 :: EU GMT

Downloads
      Uploads
      Infestors are like HT's or Ghosts. In the hands of a good player they are worth 100 times their cost. In the hands of someone with less than stellar mechanics or who struggles to micro, they are next to worthless.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      As Moderas said, they are offensive spellcasters, and are only as good as your micro unfortunately, like trying to psi storm units with HT when they move fast, low chance youll do good damage unless your good at hitting them like this.

Personally I wont use infestors unless I know pure macro isnt going to win it, as my attention is better off making sure im getting full saturation, not supply blocked etc larvae inject, creep spread. They tip the battle in your favour with fungal, good with and unit combination and neural parasite, good against those epically strong units.

i.e. you dont have to use infestors, but youll always have the pit when you go to hive so make sure you at least have the option to get them in case you have a situation where they will do well.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      My main problem is that even when my micro is good at least compared with players of my league(but I'm far away fof some of you), they always focus at them so the distance is a problem(well, I have to say the true, most of the palyers I fight are terran, and that happens with marines, with protoss doesnīt, I do not know why), and I usually don't build it against Zerg.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Infestors are awesome units. They are particularly effective against banelings, zerglings, zealots and marines. The fungal growth will kill banelings, kill or nearly kill zerglings, weaken marines (2 fungal growths will kill them) and will block zealots from doing their massive damage to your units (if you have roach/hydra).

Also, other strong uses for infestors are vs. mutalisks and phoenix as they can fungal growth those units then your hydralisks can go in and clean them up. Also, it traps the units in place which is very improtant as both mutalisks and phoenix are very fast.

This is our infestor page and I think a lot of the videos/strategies are very relevant.
      Starcraft 2 Infestor

Also, if you can sneak into the back of someone's base with a couple infestors you can spawn a lot of infested terran and down their worker line and sometimes their command center/nexus/hatchery as well making them a very effective harass unit as well.

Also, neural parasite can be crucial but is, I think, the hardest ability to use effectively.
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks a lot OMZ, I used it pretty much against marines, I canīt get to use them right(I guess I need more practice), and since I don't use them a lot, I have tendency to forget the DOT. I Only think about it with marines, due to the practice earned on the challenge . But I never thought of its use against banelings or zerlings. Also, I didn't know it was usefull against air units. The infested marines technique is one of my favourites .
      I had seen the page before, but there are some things I don't understand, like Why are good against roaches? because they can't burrow with fungal? roaches have a lot of health and fungal growth DOT is almost nothing.
      And against thors and colossus? I guess it's because the Neural parasite, But that has the problem I mentioned before, the reach of this hability, and the reach of the colossus(and more if they have the lance) when you unborruw you die(at least I do ^^).

Downloads
      Uploads
      Burrow and go around can help
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      So, Roaches have a range of 4, Hydralisks upgraded have a range of 6. If you fungal growth roaches you can then move in your Hydralisks and attack the Roaches without retaliation. This gives your Hydralisks (depending on your skill level) 1-8 seconds of "free shots" in on the Roaches. This is the same principle as fungal growthing zealots to make it so they can't attack. Also, Fungal growth can capture roaches and stop them from running away - which it can do to all units - but often you don't want to chase roaches with lings because they can kill lings but fungal growth allows your roach/hydra to catch your opponents roaches that are retreating or about to retreat.

Also, and this is something you don't see as often, you can use FUngal growth similar to how protoss use Force Fields. Force fields split armies and allow you to get a larger amount of units attacking a smaller amount of units - essentially creating a choke. You can do this with Fungal growth by fungal growthing some units and then having the other units come at your army and attacking those leaving the fungal growth units out of range of the fight. This is very effective as it COULD draw your opponent out of position and if it doesn't it will at least soften the enemies troops up - which is likely what will happen.

Infestors aren't particularly great against Colossus as that can be a hard reach but they are very good against Thors you just need to send in your army (probably ling/roach) ahead of the Infestors to take some hits prior to your neural parasite(s) landing(s).
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks a lot , that's another way to use fungal growth that I wouldn't think about.

@Icecraft: burrow and going around seems a good idea, but usually it isn't because the same structure used to build colossus is the one used to build detectors. So a normal or skilled player would have at least 1 of this units before having colossus (1 for base control and another with army), and they are invisible, which means that you would be discovered and loose al those units which are specially fast. and colossus have a lot of range, and more wit the upgrade.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Lemanruss View Post
      Thanks a lot , that's another way to use fungal growth that I wouldn't think about.

@Icecraft: burrow and going around seems a good idea, but usually it isn't because the same structure used to build colossus is the one used to build detectors. So a normal or skilled player would have at least 1 of this units before having colossus (1 for base control and another with army), and they are invisible, which means that you would be discovered and loose al those units which are specially fast. and colossus have a lot of range, and more wit the upgrade.
      Youll actually be surprised at the lack of detection people have. So never be afraid to give it a go. Also another point that no one has made, if you use fungal on invisible or burrowed units it makes them visible as well as the other bonuses, so it pays to have them around.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!