+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Infestors...a unit worth?
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      infestors are wonderful unique units IMHO…

they are spellcasters that are really worth their price (if properly used) (of course micro is needed to make it possible) LOL
      -spell casters really turn the tides of battle, makes the lesser units able to handle large armies, really gives you advantage against your enemy may it be the ability itself, combo and army combination, positioning or plain DPS.

with uber good micro you can do a hell a lot of strategies with the single spell called "fungal growth" I can only imagine things on my head because I myself don't have micro level 10 LOL BUT in my opinion it is possible.

-because of FG(fungal growth) you can pin you opponents army (escape/chase/divide), kite units – adding the creep bonus speed = imbaness for your hydras or any unit. You can see his army popping like bubbles. The ability that you are really after with FG is the pin down, regardless of whether it is a big or small unit, don’t mind the damage.

FG is like a combination of area damage (like psi-storm) + mass pin down (like 250mm cannon stun) with 75 energy , well how do you like that?! 2 Abilities in one?! What a great offer! LOL

Also FG can hit air units, in this case imagine a MMM army stiming away leaving the medivacs behind.. -> usually happens when enemy is retreating (evil grin) = pin them down with FG and kill his medivac support , cut his army with Zlings and finish his BIO ball – I can only imagine how your opponent’s face will look

FG can be used with cloaked units as well. I am not sure if it detects thou, (if anyone knows please tell us )

I myself is a sucker of having problems with positioning the infestor to do its job, but as I’ve learned to play with it you can use cliffs/high-ground / blind-spots/fog of war also the old meat-shield style where you have ultras and lings take on fire so that you can use infestor’s abilities. I am really having problems with sieged-mode tanks in general (if somebody could suggest about this)

Infestors are not really massed to become effective, without the right “Combos” they are not really that massively effective. They are add-ons to your army which makes your army even more dangerous.

Having said, here is an example and also an ANSWER to your other thread about ultralisk (if they are really useful…)

Come take a look at this army combination: Ultra-infestor-lings(S/B) = very anti-light infantry build- can wipe out balls of Bio in seconds/Fast countering army (very fast with creep spread)/ balanced when it comes to gas and mineral combination. With Zlings as meat-shield/shock absorbers, ultras being your tank/damager(splash) and the infestors pining them in place into a ball so that your ultras can slash-splash them nice and tender, also tanking the damage from the infestor. Really nice synergy.

Playing as Zerg or any other race requires army combinations to be really devastating, and you little friend INFESTOR really helps a lot.. “Diversity is the key to savagery” LOL
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."

Downloads
      Uploads
      I don't agree with omz here. In zvz I never get infestors.

If they have banelings I have roaches and just soak up the damage. If they go infestors hey I get muta tech faster, 5 more roaches or start working on a range 2 upgrade. No matter what case I pick it is almost always better than getting infestors because when it's all said and done infestors have the potential to be incredibly useful, but 5 more roaches or an upgrade up on your opponent is "win the game" kind of advantage.

The fungal growth and hydra combo is a good idea, but since lots of zvz players like going heavy roach if you wasted all that gas on infestors and hydra chances are you will be outmassed before the your infestors even get energy.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yeah, but i don't knw if for that purpose is really usefull. I only see it as usefuul against toss invisible units, because when tgey are around it's very clear due to their high damage. Otherwise, It doesn't seems usefull since you can't be spreading fungal growth all the time beacuse might me lings or banes or roaches buried.

About the lack of detection,unfortunately it is something that doesn't happen on my league quite often(if they are zerg t2, or toss going ground, or terran going air), otherwise people forgets about it... But with colossus...I get never to use it because I get detected, wednesday I lost a unit of 4 against colossus. :_( darn, I hate toss :P
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      add me as your friend...or foe ;)
      LemanRuss #105 :: USA
      LemanRuss #618 :: EU GMT

Downloads
      Uploads
      aTnXLord vs Eloids - ESL Pro Series Pro Matchup - Starcraft 2 VOD - All Starcraft 2 video casted matches / VODs in one place ! - Starcraft 2 Pro Matchup

2 minutes into part 2 has the best/funniest use of infestors i have seen yet, as long as your opponent doesnt have detection lol. Check it out.
      IDevski #608 NA
      Theuen.com --Your Premier Resource For Starcraft Strategies and Commentaries.

Downloads
      Uploads
      @woreyour: Yup, I'm "trainning" the use of this unit, but it takes a lot of micro(and its quite hard for me, because it taskes a huge skill): the biggest issue I find on this unit is the cost, and that the micro of this unit reduces my production.

@nightlynews: The mass problem you are mentioning is the one I found most of times. I'm still learning to play zerg, but I make a lot of fastlings, some hydras, and 4infestors, and they ripp away my zerg meat from my bones. Many times I find myself wondering if all that gas wouldn't have being better used on mutas.

@IDevski: Indeed that infestor macro was great ^^ and really unexpected. hehhehe
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      add me as your friend...or foe ;)
      LemanRuss #105 :: USA
      LemanRuss #618 :: EU GMT

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Lemanruss View Post
      @woreyour: Yup, I'm "trainning" the use of this unit, but it takes a lot of micro(and its quite hard for me, because it taskes a huge skill): the biggest issue I find on this unit is the cost, and that the micro of this unit reduces my production.

@nightlynews: The mass problem you are mentioning is the one I found most of times. I'm still learning to play zerg, but I make a lot of fastlings, some hydras, and 4infestors, and they ripp away my zerg meat from my bones. Many times I find myself wondering if all that gas wouldn't have being better used on mutas.

@IDevski: Indeed that infestor macro was great ^^ and really unexpected. hehhehe
      haha we have the same problem with micro.. thats why im practicing micro and macro coz I always believe both of them are really important but micro seems to be really giving me a lot of problems, also splitting and all that..
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."

Downloads
      Uploads
      FG
      > detects
      > holds units in place
      > zerg units cannot burrow

I usually get my infestors before hydras. I get spore crawers with 'em. FG on air units coming to me. They can't escape =D

Btw, infestors are really great, and you get them killed 'cause of a detect, it's because you don't have an overseer with your army to shoot it down. ; )
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)