+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Expansions Defense
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Expansions Defense

Normally, and I'm a rank 2 bronze leaguer(POWAH!), when i make an expansion i go for a planetary defense with a diamond shaped 4 missile turret arrangement around it. I make sure to drop a mule and use SCV's for repair, and I've owned people to dont macro with this. Is there a better way to defend expansions? It's quite costly, if you're doing the math. 950min/100vesp to make each expansion. Plus SCV's.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I'm not a Terran player, and by no means a great strategist (I dream of being #2 in bronze ^^), but I still venture a comment.

Turrets are static defenses (which isn't necessarily bad for an expo), but you know the money you spend will never help you elsewhere. So I'd consider putting up 1 turret (for detection), and then perhaps put up 1-2 bunkers and stuff marines in there. It might not be cheaper, but you gain flexibility - marines can attack air + ground, you can get them out of the bunker to retreat or chase down enemy units, and I think you can even salvage the bunker to get back the resources if you don't need it anymore, or if the enemy overruns your expo.

..and finally there's an old saying - "the best defense is a good offense". If you manage to put enough pressure on the enemy he might not have the time/resources to care about your expo, so perhaps you can get away with virtually zero local defense at the expo, and put the units and resources to better use staying on the offense.

I'm sure others will chime in and add tons of better ideas and hints and strategies, so this are just my $0.02 ^^

Grathak #706 (EU) :: GMT +1

Zerging around in EU 3v3 bronze leage on fridays - being flabbergasted to see people who actually know what they're doing ingame on livestream the rest of the time. ^^

Downloads
      Uploads
      The defense that you build for it will heavily depend on two things.

1. Timing of the Game
      2. Location of the Expansion

If you're fast expanding ie: 1 rack 1 command center or even 2 rax gas command center, I would say get an orbital command instead of a planetary fortress and just make a couple of bunkers to defend until your economy kicks in and you can push out. The key is to keep pumping army units because they will be your main defense. You don't need turrets this early, unless you feel dark templars are comming, make 1 in the front of your base.

If this is your first mid game expansion, You should still get an orbital command to get a good economy with mules and an even bigger army. Turrets are good only if there is an air threat (or DT) otherwise you don't need them, you're better off pumping marines.

If this is a late game expansion and your expanding at a place where it's either far and difficult to defend OR it's a zone where the enemy will most likely come across, then make a planetary fortress.

Like the guy above me says, the best defense is a good offense. Alot of times the best way to expand is to attack. If you want to play more passive just have units defend your expansion, either way you need an army. So the final answer to the thread is the best way to defend your expansion is to have alot of units and to make sure you're pumping units and keeping your money low.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yea...Zorro up there is right lols. If it's an early expo...1-2 bunkers if your natural has a decent choke should be enough. Turrets should only be built to detect cloaked units cause you should have enough marines to defend against like 1-2 banshees. I usually think Terran expansion should be dictated more by location then anything else. Like you wouldn't get a PF on an island or anything. Naturals are generally pretty safe for OC. PF should probably go somewhere you don't have great map control i.e. center gold expos are what come to mind.

Downloads
      Uploads
      this all makes enough sense to make me think i coulda had a V8

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yo man, your defense depends on how aggressive your opponent is. I am a diamond terran player and whenever I fast expand, I only do 3-4 bunkers with 1 turret. Or I go with a planetary fortress and 1 turret. If I am against zerg, I get about 4 turrets at my mineral line. I don't do any more than that really. Depending on how aggressive your opponent is, you some times don't even need any of this! It also depends on how aggressive YOU want to be. If you go for aggressive style playing, you won't really need defense because you will want to keep pressure on your enemy and when you keep pressure on the enemy, this keeps him from attacking you. HE will be worrying about defense and not you.
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads
      yep thats about right you just need to get vision on your opponent and then if you see aggression coming, then maybe a couple bunkers, if they are macro then you can probably just get away with making your base units like you normally. 4 turrets is also overkill, that early in the game there wont be any air units, and if there are you should have enough marines to repel them, then get the turrets up.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!