+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips Versus Dark Templars
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Tips Versus Dark Templars

Obviously the best counter to dark templars is to scout the dark shrine or ideally get detection once you see a twilight counsel. However if your after the fact screwed with either no lair no turrets or no robo facility here are some tips I didn't know till recently.

Most of these tips basically exploit that you don't need vision on a unit to damage it. For example if your opponent burrows his roaches and you don't have an observer you can still psi storm where he was and do damage.

Terran:
      -Obviously being walled in can buy you some time to get a scan or throw up a turret (turrets don't work against better players they will just weave around them) and if they are really good they will split their dts into groups.
      So, if you have siege tanks target either the unit or building the dt is attacking and it will receive splash damage killing them in 2 or 3 shots.
      -EMP is a good option because it takes out half the dt's health and makes them visible for 3 seconds easily long enough for any marines to clean them up.

If all else fails lift your buildings.

Protoss:
      -As stated above psi storm works great.
      -Collosi work well too, but you shouldn't really find yourself in this situation because if you have a robo bay your probably going to get at least 1 observer.

Zerg:
      -Fungal growth not only stops and does damage to the dts but also makes them visible for the duration of the spell.
      -Banelings can be manually exploded on the enemy dt or if they are dumb enough to attack it themselves it will still do damage. *Also a little extra tip building armor doesn't effect (affect? who knows) banelings, so even with armor upgrades it is always 19 banelings to kill a cc/pf.
      -Finally the reason I made this whole post and one that I didn't find intuitive or obvious: Mutas splash shots hit dts if you target your own units or buildings. Bloody hilarious (Balls this appears to have been patched, maybe it was a bug)

In review detection isn't always necessary against dts because with a ghost, scan, infestor, mutas, or high templar you can generally hold your own against small number of dts.
      Last edited by NightlyNews; 11-12-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: update patch

Downloads
      Uploads
      -Finally the reason I made this whole post and one that I didn't find intuitive or obvious: Mutas splash shots hit dts if you target your own units or buildings. Bloody hilarious
      *This* was news to me. Thanks for the info; although DTs aren't really utilized often (in my experience, anyway), they sure are annoying when they start one-shotting drones and you're a Zerg that neglected to lair tech! ... Of course, in that instance I obviously don't have mutas. Nonetheless, good info!
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      Muta splash kills DT.... That would make for an epic news headline XD!

You hit all the options on the head lol generally v toss as zerg though you get your lair fairly quick for roach hydra or your doing heaps of harass so it shouldnt be an issue seeing it, but yes they are annoying >.<
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      OMG! Muta splash hits DTs!?! that makes them really hilarious units when zerg gets mutas.. this is a bug! lol report it to blizzard.. ppooorrr DTs.. so expensive and so useless if this is the case..
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."

Downloads
      Uploads
      Its not a bug, all AoE effects have always hit cloaked units. Even in BW.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Moderas View Post
      Its not a bug, all AoE effects have always hit cloaked units. Even in BW.
      True, but I've never considered mutas splash damage. I've always thought of them as units that chain hit multiple targets.

It was surprising to me anyway. Some unlucky bastard mixed them into his army, I had no detection and they still died XD.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yeah, a lot of people dont know this. Just like a lot of people never realized you could use Psi Storm on them. I remember watching one game with HuK against some Terran player (2000+ diamond at least) where HuK psi stormed a cloaked ghost and the Terran started calling him a map hacker lol.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thats my hero HuK
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      LOL
      If all else fails lift your buildings.
      Good tips man, I also wanna add to the Terran's list:
      Use scan Hahah, but very careful though because you wanna scan right at the middle so they are not likely to just hit and run.
      Always keep your depot wall down, you can always get scvs to repair indefinitely with a wall off.
      The one one one build order is also very good to counter DT builds

Downloads
      Uploads
      Ya I was playing 2v's and we got dt rushed 3 times in a row.

And all three times my friend wasn't saving a scan arg (I was zerg btw). We aren't the best, but when I saw him call down a mule while my mineral line was getting hit I gave him some shit.