+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Starcraft 2 One Base Play
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Starcraft 2 One Base Play

Are there any viable one base strategies? can you win team games working off of one base each? are there any build orders that dont include an expansion to win without cheese? im looking for terran strats for this one but any race is fine, also is there any race in particular that would be better suited to a one base strat over others? any post of a one base strategies would be welcome

Downloads
      Uploads
      I would have to imagine that the most viable race to try one-basing from would be terrans for two major reasons: you can supplement your minerals with mules and marines are simply insanely good for their price. Since the predominant limitation of one-basing in the mid- to late-game is inevitably gas income, you'd have to utilize a largely mineral-based army. The standard MMM is not incredibly gas-intensive (yes, I know meds are expensive, but still), so I'd have to guess that's your best bet.

Ultimately, I don't expect there to be many strats that can make a one-base successful beyond the first 10-12 minutes of the game though; beyond that point, anyone who expands is simply going to have much better units due to extra gas income.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      Most 1 base strategies involve a defensive stance while you mass up a large army and then one all-in push with everything you have. With that being said, 1 base strategies are only viable in lower leagues. By the time you make it to gold/plat, players will learn to just out expand you instead of running in to walls of siege tanks and they will be sure to scout you to know what you are up to behind your wall. The only popular one base strategies i've really seen are 4 gate stalkers, korean 4 gate (5 if you are really frisky), or VR mass for Protoss. For Terran, there are 5 rax timing pushes, Thor pushes with marines/tons of SCV's to repair, or all-in cloak banshee. As said before though, these are pretty all in and if your attack fails you are in big trouble. IF you would like me to expand on one of those builds, just let me know.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      I'm going to keep this simple.

One base strategies don't work once you reach platinum and diamond.

I feel like I am beating on a dead horse when I say this, because I've been preaching so much about the importance of expanding. I preach this because I was there, I used to do 1 base all-ins, and when I reached platinum and diamond, it failed.
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads
      One base doesn't even work in bronze. I'm in top the top of my division and most of time I play vs people that go for expansions (just as me). Learning it is improving your hole gameplay. Go for it!!! It's not one battlecruiser that will make you win vs 10 vikings... ; )
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)

Downloads
      Uploads
      One base works at higher levels but you need to be able to do the following

1. Be extremely agressive - this is to stop your enemy from expanding and getting an economical advantage
      2. Micro well - to keep your units cost effective
      3. Have a tight build order and be able to tech up and pump units while attacking.

One basing can be fun because it's very micro intensive and action packed at the start.

Your best bet for terran is MMM because they are probably the most cost effective units in the game.
      I would say you should go 3 barrack 1 starport. Do alot of drop plays and harass.

I really wouldn't recommend this for lower levels as the strategies are difficult to pull off and require tight timing.

As the others posted, a stat where expansion is included will almost always be stronger.