+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching to Protoss, and starting to venture into the leagues
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Switching to Protoss, and starting to venture into the leagues

Sooooooooooo, since SC2 Wings of liberty has been released, I have always been in battle against AI mainly because I felt I sucked so bad at that time that I got ROFLstomped by a hard AI seventh minute push (by the way I have graduated to "I suck"). After going against about 100 hard AI custom games, I feel its time to actually play real multiplayer.

And without further ado I chose the most underrated (and currently least successful race in GSL), Protoss.

So here is what I know so far about playing Protoss

1. Probes and Pylons (I am re-watching Day9's 'probe and pylons' newbie tuesday 184)
      2. Stalkers are about the only ground unit that Protoss has that is anti-air
      3. Warpgate is required without it you are really screwed
      4. 9 pylon, 12 gate opening

and...Probes and Pylons

Any input would be appreciated
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      Strats - 2 gate robo, 2 gate star, 4 gate, 3 gate FE into 5 gate, FE with cannons
      Like all races, constantly build probes, but with protoss, you can now CHRONO BOOST! (yay), works on buildings as well (warpgates) and upgrades (forge +1 weps)
      Scouting - Phoenixs good mobile scouting units, if you dont have a stargate, get sentries and upgrade hallucinations, make a phoenix hallucinations and scout with that.

Battle - Gateway units, really good early game units, sentries can trap and block enemies and cut off reinforcements, zealots can tank heavy damage, stalkers are really mobile and fast, can blink up ledges and move quite fast. Dark templar are invisible and contain destructie power (enough said), High templar can feedback + psi storm (good against bio units), DT and HT can both become archons. (strong 300 shield unit).

ROBO UNITS - Observer, good invisible scout, detector. Warp prism, can create matrix, allows units to warp in, can also transport units. Immortal, has very good defence, insane damage against armored units, not very mobile. Collosus, 2x atk, SPLASH, walk up cliffs. Can be targetted by anti air and turrets / spores.

Stargate units - Phoenix good scout, mobile, shoot while moving, void ray, extremely powerful when charged,( charge on own units if needed ). Carrier, big giant ship that launches interceptors that atk. Good hp and dps. Slow.

MOTHERSHIP - Area of effect Invisible, Vortex and mass recal, very slow, good health, costly investment.

That is a basic overview of protoss, mainly unit abilities but you get the idea, if you need more just repost
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      AI is good to practice build orders against, but if you really want to get good, you need to play against real players. Real players can do things to throw you off guard and it forces you to learn how to react when you're thrown off guard.

If you want you can practice with me. Feel free to add me. I'll take it easy and won't roflstomp you.
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks for the inputs, I will practice the build orders first just to get the hang of it while at the same time conditioning myself to build probes and pylons
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      yeah depending on your skill its probably best to try and focus on 1 or 2 things at a time like day9 said. Always making probes and pylons is probably the best way to start imo, when it starts to feel natural, move onto keeping money low and expanding maybe? i wouldn't worry about build orders too much, i'd recommend just picking 1 stable BO like the 4gate or 2gate robo and always using it, you'll become familiar with timings and the mechanics faster this way

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by McWill View Post
      yeah depending on your skill its probably best to try and focus on 1 or 2 things at a time like day9 said. Always making probes and pylons is probably the best way to start imo, when it starts to feel natural, move onto keeping money low and expanding maybe? i wouldn't worry about build orders too much, i'd recommend just picking 1 stable BO like the 4gate or 2gate robo and always using it, you'll become familiar with timings and the mechanics faster this way
      Thanks, I will focus on probes and pylons and some stable builds, time for some more practice games before playing my placement matches.
      LanEvoIII #988

Downloads
      Uploads
      Add me if you want to practice VS a bronze guy. I'm pretty good with Zergs, but I really am a noob with other races (not sure which race I'll stick with next, but the league games got me into Zergs)

One thing I'd like to add with protoss race: they're hell powerful, but hell of a cost. Make sure you use your units correctly! (you'll get that with experiance, no book will make you have the trick)

Edit: I tried adding you but it says "Unable to find this friend." Spelling mistake?
      Last edited by Cookie; 11-07-2010 at 10:02 PM.
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
      Add me if you want to practice VS a bronze guy. I'm pretty good with Zergs, but I really am a noob with other races (not sure which race I'll stick with next, but the league games got me into Zergs)

One thing I'd like to add with protoss race: they're hell powerful, but hell of a cost. Make sure you use your units correctly! (you'll get that with experiance, no book will make you have the trick)

Edit: I tried adding you but it says "Unable to find this friend." Spelling mistake?
      Hmm, what server are you playing? NA?
      LanEvoIII #988

Downloads
      Uploads
      Most players who have their character details are for NA servers
      So yeah it should be for NA
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by IceCraft View Post
      Most players who have their character details are for NA servers
      So yeah it should be for NA
      Hmm, weird I know I added the correct one, I will check again
      LanEvoIII #988