+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Zerg counters for protoss?
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Zerg counters for protoss?

Forgive me if this has been posted before

but what is the zerg counter for immortals that isn't mutas?

also stalkers are hydras/lings the best choice?

Really struggling against Toss at the moment so help would be appreciated

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hydras > Stalkers/Immortals
      Lings will give you more pizazz as your lings can surround and stop any retreat, except for when they blink.
      Broodlords can work wonders against protoss ground as long as you can keep them from blinking below your broodlords.
      Maybe use your ground army to block from a blink attack.
      Finally, you can't go wrong with a few infestors for some neural parasite action on protoss immortals/colossus.
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads
      Well for protoss, you need to know that hydras hard counter all gateway units and arent bad against immortals. Generally gateway robo armies and stalker immortal heavy with colossi backup, so you can go a few things:

> Roach/hydra with infestors will work well, infestors will help drain the health of the high HP units and hydras do lots of little amounts of damage so the immortal super shield doesnt work against it.

> If not as many stalkers you can go muta heavy with lings, and blings if you have resources to burn, however this will invole you harassing a lot and macroing heaps to keep up with their army, as a mass gateway robo ball will own a ling surround.

Ideally you want to keep them at bay until you can go ultra heavy, on 3-4 base you could go spire/broods, but if they catch you your likely to die, that and broods arent as mobile as ultras, and that splash/extra armor damage will help heaps.

Just remember harassment is the key!
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yeah, I'm having ZvP trouble too.
      I tried to attack somebody last night with an early pool, but he went early cannon wall-off on his nat, and then just teched up voids. In the meantime, I fell behind in economy so I couldn't come back very good. I thought about just massing hydras but I don't know how well that would have worked against such a huge amount of voids.

If only it was stalkers! Roach/hydra stack is the way to go, IMO.
      coolsmelly, number coming soon (as soon as I check it)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by coolsmelly View Post
      Yeah, I'm having ZvP trouble too.
      I tried to attack somebody last night with an early pool, but he went early cannon wall-off on his nat, and then just teched up voids. In the meantime, I fell behind in economy so I couldn't come back very good. I thought about just massing hydras but I don't know how well that would have worked against such a huge amount of voids.

If only it was stalkers! Roach/hydra stack is the way to go, IMO.
      As soon as you see someone wall off as zerg they are pretty much giving you the match, if you scouted voids, with your overseer or lings, or robo you should know which way to go, however 2-3 queens will fend off void rays with ease! especially if you have transfuse, also mutas are a better counter to voids than hydras and voids can run from hydras whereas mutas can micro them to death.

Thats the best thing about toss air, they arent very good anti air, and their scouts arent that great either, unless massed up. As a rule i will get hydras and festors if I see a robo and muta if i see stargate
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      As a rule i will get hydras and festors if I see a robo and muta if i see stargate
      Why hydras with robo? They counter immortals well, but get nuked by colossi. Am I missing something? Perhaps festors with parasite?
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      Are you talking about the immortal push with some stalker/zealot mix. I've seen that more recently against protoss and it threw me off the first time, but I can handle it most of the time now.

I usually fast expand in my protoss matches, i get a pool before hatch, but i usually hatch before 20, with my first queen i start spreading creep instead of spawning larvae because I want to make sure I can move queens/spine crawlers fast inbetween my main and natural. Having 2 or 3 spine crawlers can help a lot, as stalkers aren't that great against them, although immortals are, it will give you enough time to pump out enough lings to stop the push if you are good at your macro and make sure you have control of the xel'naga towers to give you notice of an attack
      slowbadon.139 add me

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by smagee View Post
      Why hydras with robo? They counter immortals well, but get nuked by colossi. Am I missing something? Perhaps festors with parasite?
      That is true however you will have a roach/hydra, and the roaches SHOULD take the punishment of the colossi as well as everything else, this keeps the hydras out of colossi range which is good, this assumes you have teh range upgrade, as youll need it now as roach has 4 range and hydra has 5 without upgrade.

Also infestors with parasite would work, but fungal is better, you can kite them if they are on your creep, fungal part of the army off, remember creep gives you speed advantage so you can try and pull off many different things with that speed, i.e. lings from behind surrounding the colossi, as long as there are only 1-2.

In the end you want something else to take the damage form the colossi, and its cheaper to replace roaches/lings than hydras.

GMT +10.5!