1 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Hotkeys: Grid versus Standard
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Hotkeys: Grid versus Standard

Okay I just found out theres more than one hotkey layout and was wondering what everyones personal preference is.

The only negatives I've heard about grid is that attack move is t. That doesn't bother me at all. The two things that kinda do is I'm afraid when spamming q for spawn larva I'll spawn drones when I want an overlord or something and that warpgate is y for some reason.

I'd probably stick with grid because I only know the hotkeys for zerg and some of the terran ones, but is there any way I could bind warpgate to tab or something?

Leave your own experiences/gripes.

-Brian 1312

Downloads
      Uploads
      I dont like Grid at all. Many of the hotkeys seem out of the way and in my opinion its not hard to learn the standard hotkeys for a race after an hour or so of playing. Grid has its merits in being easier to learn but I think overall the standard hotkeys are more comfortable and a little better in terms of speed, especially since pressing buttons like X and Z move your hand away from the number keys. Of course, the difference between the two is completely negligible outside of very very high end playing. As for changing your binds, there is only one way to do it at the moment. To change them you have to edit an MPQ file in your Starcraft directory. This is risky, though. Blizzard has not given any word on rather or not this is allowed. Their TOA only warns against editing the client, which editing this file does not do, however adding skins/sounds to WoW has gotten many people banned and all that was was MPQ editing.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks for the key info. I'm not sure if I'll risk that Blizz seems a bit to paranoid about their games.

I've always been bad with memorization and I know I don't play enough to memorize all 3 races hotkeys. So, I'll probably use grid just cause I don't want playing to seem like a vocab test.
      Why my name is NightlyNews ---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/slow-jam-the-news-jimmy-f_n_830759.html
      ID: Brian (1312)

Downloads
      Uploads
      I have made the switch from standard to grid. It only took me about a day of getting used to, and now I can play all races pretty decent. I still have a few issues with accidentally hitting the wrong button, but over time your accuracy and precision will increase the more you use and practice it. Keep in mind that I've been playing Starcraft with standard hotkey/shortcut key configuration ever since it came out in 1998! It didn't take much time for me to adjust and switch to grid. I find it much easier to use grid. My APM and hand precision has pretty much caught back up to where I was with standard keys. I talked about this configuration in my "Help" thread that I started. Here's the link:

Starcraft 2 Need Help, Advice, or Just to Chat? Come ask me!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Personally I hate grid, as all strategy games ive learnt the normal hotkeys, which relate to the name, so i know d is dron, v overlord h hydra is just easier, but i suppose its how you think in the end, visually grid is easier i suppose, but the classic hotkeys make more sense to me as im very bad at finding keys LOL and i have big fingers so i hit 2 quite a lot especially when im tired or sick.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I've always used the grid key in Wc3. You can access all the keys very easily with the grid key. Sometimes, the classic and standard doesn't have that option. In addition, if you want to try out any of the races, the bulidings/units are going to be the same for grid, but not the same for standard. Marin zealot, zerglings will always be Q no matter which race you pick. In the end, it all comes down to preferences because if you are used to one type of hotkeys, it is very difficult to switch out of it.

When I first did the switch, my performance was really bad for about a week before I started to do decently again.

Downloads
      Uploads
      ... I never knew people changed the hotkeys, or that there was an option for it.

I've learned the game like it is, and I don't have problems with hotkeys yet!
      Cheers for fast typing =)
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)

Downloads
      Uploads
      I've been using grid for about a month and I love it. Especially for casters having most keys z,x,c. Only problems is with zerg sometimes i'll make drones accidentally when trying to select larva. Also, blew up about 60 banelings early because its the same key to morph lings into banes.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Krababbles View Post
      I've been using grid for about a month and I love it. Especially for casters having most keys z,x,c. Only problems is with zerg sometimes i'll make drones accidentally when trying to select larva. Also, blew up about 60 banelings early because its the same key to morph lings into banes.
      Ugh; that would be unpleasant. Perhaps the "caster" portion of this is why I've never found grid helpful for Zerg: zerg have the fewest actual caster-type actions (IIRC), so it isn't as necessary as for, say, Terrans.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      Its still not really necessary for Terrans. E or R, for example, are much easier hotkeys than Z and X. In fact as a Terran I dont think there is any situation in which you would benefit from grid over standard, unless of course you dont know the standard keys.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw