+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cookie's question corner (Zerg)
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Cookie's question corner (Zerg)

Post your questions here too if you got some little thing in mind that you're just not sure of... Let's see if we can help each other on these ones!

--

All right, here's some questions I have for SCII gameplay stuff, with answers needed in Zerg perspective.

A- How to kill massive spine crawlers/ defensive structures?
      1- With roaches is a good option, but in my 2nd match of week two, I got confronted to a line of 16 spine crawlers!!! How many units does it require to kill? Should I have gone for mutas to kill the spore crawlers and then finish off the spine crawlers?
      2- In my first match of week 2, my opponent had a line of spine crawlers backed by hydras. Best technique here please? (except to drop off in back door like I did ^^)
      3- Agaisnt photon cannons on an edge, supported by colossus.

B- Your thoughts on the use of neural parasite.
      My thoughts on how to use:
      1- To get a drone and make the protoss tech tree (to get sentries in your army for example)
      2- To disturb an opposing army, by controlling high units (which will get auto attack by its own army). Note that ZvZ is hard with that 'cause Ultralisks are immune to it.

C- How the hell does fungal growth work on air units?
      My experiance shows different results... I'll have to test more to see exactly how it works, but if you guys know, tell me! Here's the question in detail:
      When I funal growth an army, does my effect area be on the air unit or on the place he is? (the little line under it showing its position). And why the hell doesn't it work always on air units?

D- Overlords can stop stuff from doing units for 30 seconds. I have to chek it, but if I'm right, it can be used on terran air units. If true, what does it do exactly? Prevents movement? I know it doesn't stop them from attacking, and if a training facility, the unit in progross while continue to progress in it's formation.
      So, how do you guys use this thing?

... That's all my questions for tonight. Take care!
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)

Downloads
      Uploads
      A. In the case of a full on turtle like that Broodlords and Ultras are both great responses. If you watched my commentary you have already heard this, but I suggested suiciding an overseer with a handful of mutas to take out his creep tumors so the crawlers have to either get up and leave (you can attack while they move) or bleed out.

B. Nueral parasite can be good on Thors/colos, but it is an expensive research. In addition, it costs the same energy that could have been a fungal growth so im not sure how practical it would be to use it on anything but pure mech terran.

c. I actually have no idea, I dont think i've ever had an opponent go air against me as zerg unless they were also zerg in which case I just made more mutas/hydras.

D. Overseers contaminate stops buildings from producing. This means it can be used on a Barracks, gateway, nexus, and even a hatchery to prevent any larva from spawning until it fades.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      A- How to kill massive spine crawlers/ defensive structures?
      Well depends what unit composition you have, if they have mass crawlers like you have descriped, just macro and mass him with units, as 16 crawlers = 1600 minerals excluding drones, say 2400 minerals total, thats a WHOLE expansion you can have up on him. Then mass roach hydra will work, or muta broodlords if your late game, also consider burrowed roaches/infestors if he doesnt have detection, kill his support units then rush roach hydra. As for cannons with colossi, dont bother unless you have brood/corruptor, its suicide, just macro.

B- Your thoughts on the use of neural parasite.
      Personally I dont use it, not worth it unless you know your going to get use out of it, fungal growth is much more effective IMO.

C- How the hell does fungal growth work on air units?
      You have to target the dot underneath them, so aim just below them (where they would be if they are on the ground, and itll always work if you him them, but only worth it on cloaked banshees, otherwise you should have aa anyway (that and fungal reveals cloacked units )

D- Overlords can stop stuff from doing units for 30 seconds.
      As Moderas says, its overseers, and only works on buildings and will stop ALL production including research, unit construction and larve in the case of zerg, its can be alright but it shines against zerg, stopping larva production will halt nearly all advances on you, as he cant produce mass units, 2 overseers work even better and keep changing them out.
      ... That's all my questions for tonight. Take care![/QUOTE]
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Looks like your questions are answered, just wanted to tag on a little information.

A: Like they said, just keep expanding, gaining map control and macro'ing up. They've wasted a lot of money on those crawlers and are giving up potential map control.

B: It's tough to use and only great in limited scenarios. However, I've made some great turn-arounds by neural parasiting a few thors in a close battle. Save your troops damage, cause their troops damage, kill their own units... that sounds good to me. =)

C: This tactic is great for Mutalisks. Hydras outrange mutalisks so fungal growthing mutalisks does 2 things. 1 - it stops there insanely good movement not allowing them to run away, or chase, you. 2 – If used correctly you fungal then attack with your Hydralisks allowing you to attack without fear of retaliation. Just like fungal growthing roaches, marines, zealots, sentries, zerglings or banelings and then coming in with Hydras.

D: TLO used contaminate on a command center trying to land not allowing it to land at an expo. Then, when it was upgrading to an orbital command he again contaminated it stopping it’s upgrade temporarily as well as delaying further SCV construction – both of this delayed the expansion by at least 1 minute collectively – not a bad thing at all. Look at it numerically and you get – 60 seconds of delayed mining for an SCV = 60 crystals. 60 seconds of less energy = 1 less mule = 275 crystals. 30 seconds of delayed landing = # of SCV’s waiting to mine * 30 for crystals lost. All-in those 2 contaminates cost his opponent the income of AT LEAST 330 crystals and likely a lot more on the transfer of SCV’s and delay of all further SCV creation.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by OneManZerg View Post
      D: TLO used contaminate on a command center trying to land not allowing it to land at an expo. Then, when it was upgrading to an orbital command he again contaminated it stopping it’s upgrade temporarily as well as delaying further SCV construction – both of this delayed the expansion by at least 1 minute collectively – not a bad thing at all. Look at it numerically and you get – 60 seconds of delayed mining for an SCV = 60 crystals. 60 seconds of less energy = 1 less mule = 275 crystals. 30 seconds of delayed landing = # of SCV’s waiting to mine * 30 for crystals lost. All-in those 2 contaminates cost his opponent the income of AT LEAST 330 crystals and likely a lot more on the transfer of SCV’s and delay of all further SCV creation.

never would have thought of that, good idea ^^ going to have to try that
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      not sure if this is the appropriate topic to ask in but i have a few general questions about zerg ^^
      i've just switched to playing random for the time being, i figure it will benefit my toss if i know how the other races fit together.

i usually open with Gas, hatch, pool for quick speedings and do a little harass. i'll then tech straight to Hydras and get an immediate range upgrade and take a quick third.

1) is this viable and what, if anything, should be changed?

first thing I've noticed with zerg is i struggle to keep my money low. i am pretty consistent with larva injection but even when producing rapidly i find my money drifting to over 1000 and it goes as high as 2000 if i go for fast mutas.

2) what should i be doing to keep it low?

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      1. Hydra based armies should always have Roaches with them. With 145 hp, 1 base armor, and decent damage, Roaches are a great meat shield.

2. If you have too much money just make more hatcheries. If you feel like you can afford 3 hatch on 2 bases, by all means do it. Your better off with an extra hatch and just enough money to use them than only 2 hatch and tons of extra money.

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by McWill View Post
      not sure if this is the appropriate topic to ask in but i have a few general questions about zerg ^^
      i've just switched to playing random for the time being, i figure it will benefit my toss if i know how the other races fit together.

i usually open with Gas, hatch, pool for quick speedings and do a little harass. i'll then tech straight to Hydras and get an immediate range upgrade and take a quick third.

1) is this viable and what, if anything, should be changed?

first thing I've noticed with zerg is i struggle to keep my money low. i am pretty consistent with larva injection but even when producing rapidly i find my money drifting to over 1000 and it goes as high as 2000 if i go for fast mutas.

2) what should i be doing to keep it low?
      Total agreement with Moderas on point 2; I've started dropping a third hatch on 2-base pretty frequently because it definitely helps you spit out massive reinforcements at a moment's notice. One thing to keep in mind though, with Zerg, you don't necessarily need to worry about keeping money low at all times like you do with the other races simply because of that "instant army" effect. Granted, you shouldn't typically be getting into the 1-2k range (particularly on gas ), but if you have 1k minerals in the bank and need to back up your last wave, that can be a huge blessing.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      Fully agree with Moderas on each point.

Roach / Hydra is > Roach (hydra damage outduels roaches)
      Roach / Hydra is > Hydra (Roach armor helps absorb Hydra damage)

I always find myself mid/late game getting a third hatch in my main because I have too many minerals as well... gotta keep spending!
      Also, this is a good time to expand, most people can/should be more aggressive with their third.

My only question for you is does this build of yours ever get into early trouble for you? It looks like gas then hatchery then pool would leave you very susceptible to early pressure. Also, how does that work for timing? If your gas pops first are you fully saturating it with drones and if so how's your mineral situation? If you aren't fully saturating the gas, could you delay it a little, get more drones and then drop it to improve your economy overall? I'm curious how that works for you, what's the timing?

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think maybe he is doing similar to the IdrA/Fruit Dealer style macro build which is 15 hatch 14 pool/14 extract he just switched the pool and extractor. Against Terran it really isnt that risky at all since they have to depot before rax but against other zerg or toss it can be very hard to deal with a 12 pool/2 gate zealots/1 gate boosted zealot