+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cookie's question corner (Zerg)
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      thanks for the quick feedback. i don't use roaches enough so i'll be sure to try that i do usually do take a quick third anyway, but it didn't occur to me to get another hatch in my main!

as for the build i go 15 gas 15 hatch and immediately put in 3 workers. at 88 gas i start to take them off so i'll have exactly enough for zergling speed. then i get a queen for each hatch and inject larva, i'll morph 1 lot of larva all to lings and they finish the same time as the upgrade at around the 6min mark.
      i am still new to zerg and experimenting so you can probably do it a little faster than I.
      i'm not sure how well it fares against all kinds of early aggression, but its seems fine so far. you can afford a spine crawler if you need it, which has helped me hold off some hellion and roach aggression but i mainly rely on the enemy not wanting to immediately leave his base after seeing my speedings.

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads

Round 2

== Round 2 ==
      of enriched disuccussions on Zerg warfare.

Tell us why and how you would use these units AND in which context they would best be used. ALSO! Write one thing you hate about that unit, something that may make you never use it.

Units to exploit

1. Roaches (With burrow and underground movement. Speed upgrade not included.)
      > Hated attribute:

2. Corruptors
      > Hated attribute:

3. Drones (mostly to know about the use of 'em with extra cash / other useful stuff)
      > Hated attribute:

-------

My use of 'em

a) to hide from the opponent (so he doesn't see my army size)
      b) hit and run on expansions / undefended areas / no detect
      c) sometimes, I hide them outside my base so I can flank the attacking ennemy
      d) PRESSURE ! Attacking with these units forces the ennemy to get detectors or defensive structures, which will also reduce his army size/production. =D
      > Hated attribute: They give me the impression they don't stack well, that they take too much space in an army. (vs marine marauders who fit perfectly. Zerglings get stuck in these 'cause 'lings don't range attack)

2. Corruptors
      a) anti-air of course
      b) to take down opponent's scattered overlords (if ZvZ)
      c) to use the ability (more dmg on target) on high end units
      d) support my army / defend agaisnt drops
      > Hated attribute: They really look slow and somehow easy target, even if they got lots of HP. They don't recover fast and are hard to macro for me. (already got my army to move about, fungal growth to do, chek positionning, etc)

3. Drones (mostly to know about the use of 'em with extra cash / other useful stuff)
      a) 2 hatcheries per base (at least) so I can keep up with production
      b) check if all bases are full of workers
      c) spine and spore crawlers (detect and prevent from drop offs)
      d) backup tech structures
      e) I hotkey my workers so I can burrow them if I see an ennemy in my minerals (I tend to forget it, but when I do, it helps often!)
      > Hated attribute: nothing except -- what the hell do zergs use minerals for??? =P

-------

I know this is theory only, but it helps alot to know the good tricks and practice them instead of doing it all wrong all the time... I did this corner so we can know what others do and discover our flaws/strenghts. I think most players simply copy known builds and don't even chek all the units around. How many games did I do witouth the use of Corruptors for example?
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)

Downloads
      Uploads
      1) Roach
      Uses: One of the better uses I've found for roaches when they have the burrow movement upgrade is to burrow them when approaching a terran army and unburrow when they reach the tanks. Despite my preference for hydras early on, roaches have become one of my favorite units in SC2, particularly as they have been buffed (although I can only imagine how awesome it must've been back when they used only one food slot!). I tend to use them as battering rams, which allow the lings to gain access to the creamy worker center of the base.
      Problems: Sllllllloooowwwww.... without the speed upgrade they take FOREVER to get anywhere.

2) Corruptor
      Uses: I actually don't use corruptors all that much, as my games typically don't go that long (I'm much better at losing quickly Uses: Once I've reached the "overflowing piles of crystal" stage in a match, I like using excess drones to just drop random static defense throughout my bases. You never know when you'll need an extra detector (spore) or spine guarding your income!
      Problems: Too easily harassed by imba probe with their stupid shields
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      > Honestly I wouldnt, id rather use burrowed infestors spawning infestors in their main :P however if using roaches:
      a) quick regen against small armies or armies that do little damage, can regen then reburrow constantly even if they have detection. harrass if they dont have detection, flanking armies.
      b) they are notoriously hard to setup properly when burrowed as they bunch up and cannot move into each other, also when unburrowed they have to find their own space to burrow in.

2. Corruptors
      > Will generally get a few vs protoss, to counter colossus and/or voidray with tech into broodlord in late game.
      a) I underuse corruption, however there really arent too many situations i find that i can use them, id rather have mutas unless against colossi.
      b) Probably the worst thing is the cost, for a unit that flies and only does aa, however does tech to broodlord, which i like lol.

> EXTRA HATCHERIES YAY! always never enouhg drones, i mean ive had 80 ina 1v1 and managed to spend most of it >.<, however nothing wrong with a good spine crawler rush with queen support, use those extra drones for crawlers then creep up to their base and dig in, also the infamous

"Imma take your gas, and i will keep building on it and cancelling and building and cancelling so you cant have it, and then i.... ah #&$% my drone is dead >.<"

trick.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thx guys for your answers =)

Btw, I tried corroptors and they're great for: take initial damage / kill air units / adding extra spice with the corruption / taking down overlords when vs other zerg.

-----
      == Round 3 ==

Subject*: expansions.
      *Answer for the Zerg race.

Questions:
      *you may not answer all of my points and go for your own paragraph that would surround the question by a more valid statement.
      (example: if I ask: why not drone rush? You may answer: it's suicide, and skip the a) b) c) of it.)

1- When do you expand?
      a) Discuss this strat: make your first hatchery inside your own base to pump up the larvas and then expand (after having an army of 'lings for example, you can then make lots of drones in one shot)
      b) After the natural expansion, do you seek the gold minerals or go for those near your main base?
      c) List advantages of expanding next to opponent (? are there?)

2- How do you keep your expansion secure?
      a) Where and how many spine / spores do you place?
      b) air units with overseer VS spore crawlers: your thoughts
      c) Do you keep units behind for some anti drop/raid?

> I'm really struggling with that lately (as zerg of course). When I expand, I sort of always get scouted and raided. The best way to do it is to tech up so overlords can make glue, put down spines/spores and then make the hatchery. When I put my army on it, I get flanked on my main base. If I split my army in two, I get killed in two shots 'cause I'm not the size of a whole army.
      And most often, I just panic and see a big loop of doom on my expansion personal experiance.
      > bronze vs diamond helps me to learn alot, but I need to know what's in the mind instead of what keyboard keys are done.

Thanks again to all those that take their time to read all this =)
      *Cheers to UZN community!* =P
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)

Downloads
      Uploads
      1- When do you expand?
      a) Discuss this strat: make your first hatchery inside your own base to pump up the larvas and then expand (after having an army of 'lings for example, you can then make lots of drones in one shot)

The first hatch goes at your natural for 2 main reasons. One is that drones are more efficient when split between 2 patches. After 16 drones the mining efficiency starts to drop sharply, so having your natural allows 16 at each without losing any. The other main reason is the hatch spreads a LOT of creep, like 2 tumors worth. This helps give you a great initial creep spread to use either defensively or begin spreading aggressively.

2- How do you keep your expansion secure?
      a) Where and how many spine / spores do you place?

One good place to put a spine is between your hatchery and ramp so it forms a partial wall off to your minerals. This allows the crawler to attack anything in the mineral line, hitting the hatchery, or going up the ramp as well as makes a smaller choke for ling/hellion runbys. The queen can be used to somewhat block the other side of the hatch if needed.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw