+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Protoss mirror matchup strategy
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Protoss mirror matchup strategy

I play random so whenever I get PvP I end up with the most boring matchup possible where I go blink stalker and do a timing push when i get out a couple of immortals. I find this more boring than the tank spamming or roach spamming in other mirrors.

Is there a more interesting strategy where it's not stalker on stalker with zealot shields every bloody game?

Downloads
      Uploads
      i usually find PvP to be a race for colossus myself.
      anyhow, if you want something fun, mess around with something vs very easy AI and then just go for it online if you think it has merit
      e.g. i experimented with a zealot, phoenix, mother ship build recently for PvP. which is better than it sounds surprisingly. if they try to Kite your zealots the phoenix will auto target there observer. getting you a lot of free kills until they move another one into position. Before you say its a stupid strategy, bear in mind that you'll never break the boring cycle if you don't experiment

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks for the advice I don't have much love for the mothership, but will give it a try.

Yea in the one game where the other guy sent back a healthy 3:1 stalker zealot mix I got collosi before him and that was game.
      Sentrys are a really fun unit but having more than 2 for guardian shields seems like overkill.

Would a zealot sentry mix work if i could forcefield them from retreating? What 1v1 maps if any would this strategy work on?

Downloads
      Uploads
      Well, I play PvP with the korean 4 gate. You can watch my replay against Starfox on this site as a loose how-to, but I didnt do it perfect. Essentially, you hit with 4 gates of zealots at a proxy near/in their base just before a normal 4 gate or 2/3 gate robo push could come to fruition. If they dont catch your proxy it is extremely hard to counter, in custom 1v1 against gold/plat opponents I have like 80% win in PvP using it. Obviously Starfox being diamond was smart enough to look for proxys
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yea that entire game came down to him finding your proxy.

I don't know what a Korean 4 gate is, but why didn't you dump some of the extra gas you had into stalkers or sentries when you made your push?

I love zealots, but getting kited by stalkers makes me rage. So, taking what I saw from your 4 gate if i just made a 1 sentry for every 5 zealots to try to stop preblink stalks and worst case scenario guardian shield. Imma try that with a friend who has toss as main and report back how I do.

Holy balls my tag is oversized ...
      Why my name is NightlyNews ---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/slow-jam-the-news-jimmy-f_n_830759.html
      ID: Brian (1312)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Well, you arnt supposed to have extra gas if you do it right. You are supposed to pull all probes out so that you have only 50 gas which is just enough for warp gate. The point behind it is the extra minerals+ only making zealots allows you to get more zealots out faster than he can stop.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads

`1

i think sentries work well in almost any situation, at the least they are a good gas balance for your army.

i've had alot of trouble in the past with the 4gate in PvP ^^ with decent macro it can probably take you straight to diamond so its worth trying. personally i don't like it and i never use it xD I usually go gateway, robo, expand, gateway, gateway. get some fast immortals to deal with stalkers, grab a quick third base and transition into colossus and chargelots. but thats similar to the boring match you want to avoid xD

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      4 gate would probably be the most annoying strategy to verse as its so powerful in any situation, and the proxy doesnt even need to be in the base to be effective (although its more effective there of course)

you can always try void ray rush and mostly wall off your base, or go a dark templar rush, or a cannon rush for all i know, just vary things, so many things you can do, no matter how lame it is!
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Mass sentries and zealots was fun and I ended up winning.

He tried kiting me, but I had too many forcefields and his choke points worked against him.

That being said he was banking 1000+ at the 10 minute mark, so I doubt it would work against an opponent that decided to use his warpgates. :P
      Why my name is NightlyNews ---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/slow-jam-the-news-jimmy-f_n_830759.html
      ID: Brian (1312)