+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: terran proxy hop
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

terran proxy hop

i have been trying a proxy barracks rush with a base move as the rush occurs, or shortly after to avoid a counter, moving to their natural expansion meanwhile pumping out marines.i was interested in knowing other Terran players thoughts on rushes and proxy in general as a tactic with Terran and maybe a smoother way of stealing the opponents expansion.I basically want to use terrans great base defense to trap my opponent in his base. any thoughts or post would be great thanks

Downloads
      Uploads
      Once you lock your opponent in, whats your plan then? He'll just rush for siege tanks and take out your planetary fortress or whatever defense you have. If you're up against protoss, then colossus will own you. It's a risky build. It might work on lower leagues, but don't expect it to work in platinum or diamond.

Downloads
      Uploads
      That is a horrible plan. You sacrifice a ton of economy just to do that. This means any race will be able to get higher tier units even faster. So any toss or terran will automatically know to wall ramp a bit and just safe-tech to colossus/siege tanks like chrisrichter69 mentioned. Heck you might even get DTed because the enemy knows you HAVE to get PF if you are taking his natural so you won't have scan. You are screwed. I don't suggest this build at all. And proxy rax is easily countered when scouted.

Downloads
      Uploads
      The only way I can see it *MIGHT* work is if you do early pressure with marines, tech for tanks, bunker up his ramp at his natural, then use his natural as YOUR expansion and make it a planetary fortress, transfer at least 8 SCVs to that expansion to keep it repaired. Get a few vikings to hunt down anything that tries to escape via air, and then mass expand. Take every single expansion and base in the game. Literally. Become a macro king, and GG. Make sure you constantly scan and keep tabs on your enemy and build counters to anything he tries to make to get out. I will agree that locking your opponent in with tanks, vikings, turrets and bunkers with a planetary fortress on his door step will make it pretty hard for him to get out, but good luck in getting to that point. A rush like that is easily countered. You have to keep lots and lots of pressure on him to keep him from getting out.

Another way it might work is if you sneak an SCV out right at the start of the game, scout for his base, find his natural, and hide your scv somewhere at his natural. When you get to 9 or 10 supply, drop your first depot at your ramp to start a block. At 14/15 supply drop a CC right at his natural, and get both your geysers. Soon as your first geyser is done drop an engineering lab at your ramp, then a barracks to wall off. Once your CC is done, fortress it, make sure you transfer about 4 scvs over to your for CC before it's finished and time it so that it finishes just as they get there, then start mining. By the time your fortress is up, you'll be about 4-5 minutes in the game. Use both expansions to get high minerals and gas, and then macro like hell. I really would not recommend any of this sort of thing at ALL. It's very risky and if your opponent sees what you're doing, he'll just rush you and it's gg.

If you're up against Terran, you can throw any "natural expansion steal" build order out the window, because he'll have siege tanks by the time your planetary gets up and running. You won't have enough resources to pressure him to keep him from siege/colossus teching.

Only way to lock some one in their base effectively is with siege tanks, vikings, bunkers, and missile turrets. If you're gonna do that, you better be ready for him to push out, cuz he'll be quietly teching in his base peacefully. You'll be stretched too thin and reinforcements will be slow.

All-in-all, it's a bad strategy. I don't recommend it.

Downloads
      Uploads
      lol it could work for a couple of games but for the reasons above i wouldn't really try to develop it into a serious strategy. Generally if proxy build is scouted, it fails in my experience. but they can be fun!
      something you could try for some lols is a rush that day 9 showed. On a map with a loooooong rush distance but short fly distance (e.g. scrap station) is to go refinery, refinery, command centrer, engineering bay (supply depos when needed). load your command centre with scv's and fly it into your opponents base and land it right next to his command centre or nexus (not hatch, you cant land on creep) and turn both CC's into a planetary fortress. the time it lands is around the time your opponent should be trying to harass or apply early pressure so if your lucky his base will be empty.
      Unload scv's to repair and Boom, terran wins without even making a marauder ;o

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by McWill View Post
      lol it could work for a couple of games but for the reasons above i wouldn't really try to develop it into a serious strategy. Generally if proxy build is scouted, it fails in my experience. but they can be fun!
      something you could try for some lols is a rush that day 9 showed. On a map with a loooooong rush distance but short fly distance (e.g. scrap station) is to go refinery, refinery, command centrer, engineering bay (supply depos when needed). load your command centre with scv's and fly it into your opponents base and land it right next to his command centre or nexus (not hatch, you cant land on creep) and turn both CC's into a planetary fortress. the time it lands is around the time your opponent should be trying to harass or apply early pressure so if your lucky his base will be empty.
      haha that was a good episode! but on the strat, the only reason i would do such a thing is rather than move to their expansion is move to a nearby island (or expand there) ie scrap station, and mass air there while he thinks your main only has land. Otherwise yes its a bad idea, esp vs zerg as they will FE, toss as said have colossus which will own with thermal lancer, and/or void rays and terran will prob have tanks or will quick tech to tanks once you get fortress so its a bad idea all round.

But keep coming up with crazy things like this as youll eventually find somethign that is shit bricks crazy and works lol, and then the UEN will the only users of the crazy awesome strats :P maybe we should do a thread dedicated to crazy strat ideas? would be so fun ^^
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by McWill View Post
      Only problem to this is that it only works against protoss. You can't land on creep, and terran can load up and fly away.

Downloads
      Uploads

to clarify

this is not a strat to use in 1v1, it is meant for 2v2 at the least, the goal is to knock out their workers and first attempt at a push by striking a little early.the only thing built at the start base is supply depots(but usually nothing), all other support structures and tech at their natural expansion, i move the base only if i get attacked early.refineries at or shortly after the early push at their expansion,i do admit that it only really works if you have some support from your allies(if even just to hold off the attempt to save their friends base). works best if your ally techs a little but still sends some troops for the early push, i try to shoot for 5 min game time, i have about 8 to 10 marines and 3-4 rax by then.thank you all for the feedback i hope to get more now that i think i have explained it a bit better.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I still don't recommend this strategy. You want to have barracks and what-not where your main base is in case you spot an air unit trying to flank you and hit your main. You won't have any defense and you won't have any production for defense. The most I would do is build bunkers on top of their ramp after you've pushed in. If you can't push in, then I wouldn't even bother. You can try to bunker at the bottom of his ramp, but he'll just siege/colossus tech. It doesn't really matter if it's 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4. Some one will siege/colossus tech and bust your "defense." I would also you recommend getting siege tanks and vikings ASAP, should you attempt to do this. You want air superiority, so get more vikings than tanks. Keeping control with tanks and vikings will be gas heavy on your economy, so you'll need to focus on expanding. Good luck if you try this.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Tarim View Post
      this is not a strat to use in 1v1, it is meant for 2v2 at the least, the goal is to knock out their workers and first attempt at a push by striking a little early.the only thing built at the start base is supply depots(but usually nothing), all other support structures and tech at their natural expansion, i move the base only if i get attacked early.refineries at or shortly after the early push at their expansion,i do admit that it only really works if you have some support from your allies(if even just to hold off the attempt to save their friends base). works best if your ally techs a little but still sends some troops for the early push, i try to shoot for 5 min game time, i have about 8 to 10 marines and 3-4 rax by then.thank you all for the feedback i hope to get more now that i think i have explained it a bit better.
      Yea i sorta get what you mean however playing 2 people still brings trouble, like what if one fast tech to air? he could just intercept your buildings (most 2v2 i know one does air etc) so its still fairly risky, and unless your absolutely certain they are doing a turtle I wouldnt do it, however it may work but I can think of so many counters if found out, however if hidden well enough maybe, but i would have to see it first lol
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!