Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ZvZ Bronze Rushing problems :(
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

ZvZ Bronze Rushing problems :(

Hi.
      I'm a Zerg player who is pretty new to SC2. I've played my way up to rank 5 in the bronze leage and terran and protoss doesn't seem to be a problem. However...

Whenever I'm up against either a bronze zerg or a silver zerg (to try and qualify for silver) I loose to the cheesy 6 pools (everyone seem to use that ). The only thing I can do to defend myself are to 6 pool myself and it all ends in a game of Rock-paper-scissors due to both players having sad economy.

Is there anyway to defend against this and keep the economy up so we can acctually get to mid-game and I get an economical advantage?

Video tips would be really nice
      Last edited by gabbegubbe; 10-09-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      As zerg your best way to counter a 6 pool is actually a 10 pool. On any normal sized map (NOT Steppes of War) you can put your pool at 10 and still haze lings out before his 6 pool lings get to you. This is also beneficial because that means you can lose 4-5 drones helping in the fight and you are still even on economy.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Unfortunately I have no video but here are a few tips for you:

Scout at 9 supply, youll see it coming easy then and can prepare to counter

You can 10 pool, and is effective against this, however there still is a chance you may not get any lings before he gets to your base

You can block your ramp with your drone while you wait for you lings (if 10 pool) also drones can defend effectively defend as long as they surround, considering youll have 12-14 drones this shouldnt be a problem.

But all you can do is practice, if you want add me im on the Australiasian and NA servers as Flamga #377, and play zerg so I can help you if you wish
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thank you very much for your answers and I will definitely try these tactics out.

Unfortunately I'm on the european servers so I can't add you.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Bugger ah well good luck with it up there then! let us know how it all goes
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I'm getting somewhere.
      Last 14 games played I've won 11.
      Ranked 2 now and hopefully I'll get to Silver soon.

Thanks for your help. One of those games I won with ease against another zerg due to him/her not being able to tech into tier 2 with all the money wasted on lings and almost no gas. Got myself 6 mutas and already had my expansion when he just got his baneling nest.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Nicely done
      In my experience of ZvZ
      Its usually a matter of who techs and expands or whoever rushes and maintains pressure that comes out victorious.
      But if u could do both,
      Absolutely ownage!
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      hey i play zerg too i get what your saying i tend to have the same problem also. what i will do is put money into 2 spine crawlers. people have 2 choices. target the queen and drones/lings or go kill the tower. either way u got something attacking. they might go banglings and to defend for that u gotta go banglings also. when i do zvz 1v1 i tend to tech early to banglings and go to roaches or hydras. i try to keep games short and sweet.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hey gabbegubbe,

I think all of the above recommendations are pretty good.

Also, some things to add to them. Place your spawning pool 2 spaces from your extractor and put your spine crawler in there. This will do two things. First, it will block troops from getting to your drones. Secondly, it will give zerglings only limited ability to surround the spine crawler (if placed appropriately, only 1 side of the spine crawler will be able to be attacked).

The 10 pool is a great counter to 6 pool or earlier pools - typically. Also on this note, larger maps help. If you play on steppes of war - UGH! If you play on blistering sands you've just bought yourself another 30-40 seconds before the zerglings get to you - that's a significant amount of time allowing you to do more 12, 14, 15, etc. pools in your strategies. Any kind of larger map allows you to focus more on macro / typical gameplay whereas any smaller map prepare for a rush.

Lastly, tech up like you are saying. Getting mutas pre lair or pre hydras/mutas is a great game changing advantage. Getting Ultras pre them is huge too. Getting an expansion before they do and being able to hold it without significant losses is also a game changer. My biggest three things when playing zergs are out-expand, race to muta, race to ultra. It's sad... but those seem to be the most important things and other than a crazy rush war, the game deciding points.

Lastly, watchout for people dropping spines in your base, if you see multiple drones "scouting" you early... kill them before they get to your creep.

Hope that helps, if you have specific issues that still arise please say so.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by skosh View Post
      hey i play zerg too i get what your saying i tend to have the same problem also. what i will do is put money into 2 spine crawlers. people have 2 choices. target the queen and drones/lings or go kill the tower. either way u got something attacking. they might go banglings and to defend for that u gotta go banglings also. when i do zvz 1v1 i tend to tech early to banglings and go to roaches or hydras. i try to keep games short and sweet.
      Yes that makes sense but against a rush unless you go some form of 10 pool this wont work for a 6-10 pool rush. if he goes 6 pool and you fend it off you will win guaranteed (unless you fall asleep or something lol) But against early aggression yes i agree with you

GMT +10.5!