+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Heart of the Swarm due in 18 months?
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Heart of the Swarm due in 18 months?

Read up;

Next Starcraft II due early 2012? - News at GameSpot

May sound convincing but I personally doubt that this will happen at all. Blizzard has been following one rule and one rule only; "It will be out when it is ready". With this is mind, and taking into account their release schedules, I would say an early 2012 is improbable.

The only anomaly in this theory is Starcraft 1 and Broodwar, the gap between them is absurdly short for a Blizzard game,8 months.

With that said, it would be safe to assume that we will not have Heart of the swarm the same way Starcraft 1 got Broodwar mainly because of this; Blizzard has just started an epic.

To follow up an epic you need another epic. Starcraft 1 and Broodwar was not that epic magnitude wise. The story was told in a not so epic way and the core of the game was indebted to multiplayer. Starcraft 2 on the other hand has a much deeper story. Blizzard took its time to split the story into three whole games. And I am sure Blizzard will take its time in creating this trilogy to create a single player experience that is up there as one of the best ever for a real time strategy game.

Frankly, with what I have said in mind, I would prefer Blizzard to take their time with not just Heart of the swarm but also all future games that they will make because that is what separates them from all other developers who make games in a per month basis (EA). Blizzard is what I would call the high luxury of the gaming world. Blizzard is the exclusive high end game developer who make games sparingly but when they do, even the staunchest fan boy will weep in its brilliance.

Those are my thoughts.
      Last edited by Redux0718; 10-08-2010 at 04:23 AM.
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      I don't think so man. The blizzard team is very small. They design quality games not like EA. It doesn't make much sense if they are going to release it so fast. What they want to do is get all the Korean players on board then release it =)

Oh by the way, its cool that you are opening a thread to talk about the current events of Starcraft. I would really appreciate it if you also type what you think of the topic as well. I think it would help the overall forum experience of the users.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hehe I am also pessimistic about early 2012, I would guess 2015 will be more appropriate.

Thanks, I will try my best to keep everyone in the UEN updated on Starcraft events.
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yeah I do agree, its the same with any games, it doesnt matter how long avid fans will wait if they know they will get a quality product and awesome experience. Same can be said of Dwarf Fortress, another game that is still beign developed over 10 years and still being bug fixed and patched but I will gladly wait and keep playing as its that good quality experience that I want.

All I can say is SC2 has definately delivered so Im happy to wait until everything is balanced before the new expansion comes out, and I will save that $50-100 in my piggybank and on release day itll be a huge fuss (im sure we are all the same lol). But thats what a good game does to you!

Cant wait for the next release!
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      2012 doesnt seem too unreasonable. A Starcraft expansion is going to be smaller than a WoW expansion and they release one for it every 2 years so roughly 2 years for HotS is about right. The most important thing, though, is the balance. I hope they hire some professionals to help them test this time around cause I think they missed some things in the first beta.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      It's not that much work for an expansion. All they work on is cinematics and new missions for the zerg portion of the story. They are obviously continuously balancing the game so I am 100% sure they have are already testing new/old units to incorporate into multiplayer like lurkers, firebats, reavers, etc.

Anyways, since I'll be at Blizzcon I'll make sure to ask Mr. Terrible Terrible Damage or Pardo or someone =D

Downloads
      Uploads
      I have been thinking about that, an expansion after all is about adding a new campaign (cinematics, missions etc) but I have also been thinking of what could possibly delay the release of an expansion; say new units, how to balance them and eventually integrate them to the existing metagame. I do not know, I guess we will find out late 2011 for confirmation.
      LanEvoIII #988