+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Mutalisk Effect
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

The Mutalisk Effect

Has zerg finally found the one true tactic to erase the rampant spamming of "zerg underpowered - Terran overpowered"? Fruitseller has annihilated everyone with that tactic and not even some of the best "overpowered" Terran players could stop it. Soon every zerg would master this and the tables would be turned.

But then again, starcraft 2 is a very young multiplayer game and in time everyone would be able to know how to counter everything.
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think Terran players need to reexamine their strategies because some of the stuff like mass MMM doesn't work anymore. Zerg players caught up by getting infestors and muta ling.

I believe that SC2 will be like SC1 where no one strategy will always beat other strategies unlike many other RTS games. Kind of like a real sports or strategy game like chess.
      Last edited by SCVrush; 10-07-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think it's just in low level play zerg are underpowered.

Orbital command and chrono boost are kind-of luxurys, but spawn larva is necessary. Also zerg doesn't have a goto and win strategy like terran trip ms or stalker sentry; Once again only in bronze/silver.

That being said they are the most fun.

Downloads
      Uploads
      In my opinion, basing any sort of balance on what Fruit Dealer did is a bit ridiculous. It wasnt like he just got muta's, He fast expanded with an extractor before finally getting a pool (And even managed to fend off proxy reapers this way) then fast teched to mutas which he used to harass/prevent harass while he double expanded, teched to hive and got just about every research in the zerg arsenal. Not only can 99% of zerg players not do that, but even those who can shouldnt be forced in to it just because FD has proven it works.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by SCVrush View Post
      I think Terran players need to reexamine their strategies because some of the stuff like mass MMM doesn't work anymore. Zerg players caught up by getting infestors and muta ling.

I believe that SC2 will be like SC1 where no one strategy will always beat other strategies unlike many other RTS games. Kind of like a real sports or strategy game like chess.
      Agreed, it is time for us Terrans to come up with something new.

@Moderas

Yeah any Zerg can theoretically do that but why are they not doing that? Fruit Seller proved it is a killer strategy, if assuming that 99% of players want to win then why do they not want to opt for the winning strategy? Yes they are not being forced to use just this strategy but tell me another strategy as effective as massing mutas (that is not cheese), I have seen the then highest ranked player in the world JangMinChul, obliterated by mass mutas. The point is, if a strategy works so good even if people are not forced to use it they inevitably will because it is the way to win. Just the same way MMM was so powerful back then. I say Fruitseller has just given birth to the "MMM of Zerg". If Zerg players do not use this then it is like saying that you want to use your sidearm instead of your A-10 Thunderbolt; you have the powerful weapon yet you still opt for the weaker one. I am not saying The Muta effect is the be all end all Zerg strategy but all I am saying is that all zerg players must at least have it in their arsenal.

The game though is in constant evolution, when it reaches maturity then people will get an idea of how to use all their race's units to counter anything.
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think you misunderstood a bit, I agree that all zerg players SHOULD use it, I just dont think that the game is balanced if a race is forced in to that one build just to have a chance against Terran, especially considering no one except maybe Julyzerg and Fruit Dealer himself will ever be able to pull it off the way he did. He didnt just mass mutas, there was a lot more to it. For example, fending off tank drops on ledges with crawlers not once, but twice. Not to mention his almost omnipotent map presence. Mass mutas alone are nothing, an MMM ball would eat them up no problem. Its the Mutas combined with Fruit Dealer's ability to be everywhere at once while still macroing as good if not better than his opponent that makes it work.

Edit: Does Julyzerg even play anymore? I think he does...
      Last edited by Moderas; 10-07-2010 at 07:34 AM.

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Can either of you post links to the actual replays or someone commentating on it? I havn't seen the GSL finals.

Downloads
      Uploads
      They were on Youtube at one point, not sure if they have been removed yet or not. There was also a JustinTV channel that had them all.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Sillierabbit View Post
      Can either of you post links to the actual replays or someone commentating on it? I havn't seen the GSL finals.
      There used to be one in the teamliquid site, but it was only a live stream. Most sites had to take it down because of copyright issues. I will still try to search for it though.
      LanEvoIII #988

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Moderas View Post
      I think you misunderstood a bit, I agree that all zerg players SHOULD use it, I just dont think that the game is balanced if a race is forced in to that one build just to have a chance against Terran, especially considering no one except maybe Julyzerg and Fruit Dealer himself will ever be able to pull it off the way he did. He didnt just mass mutas, there was a lot more to it. For example, fending off tank drops on ledges with crawlers not once, but twice. Not to mention his almost omnipotent map presence. Mass mutas alone are nothing, an MMM ball would eat them up no problem. Its the Mutas combined with Fruit Dealer's ability to be everywhere at once while still macroing as good if not better than his opponent that makes it work.

Edit: Does Julyzerg even play anymore? I think he does...
      Yeah sorry I misunderstood that

Julyzerg still plays...well zerg, his name is FantaPrime ~JulyZerg~

here is a link to one of his games, this one against his teammate MakaPrime

YouTube - [Korean Pros] FantaPrime -JulyZerg- (Z) VS MakaPrime -Yotsuba- (T) Starcraft 2
      LanEvoIII #988