• Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Why is APM important?

can someone explain why apm is important lol

Downloads
      Uploads
      APM for the average player is not important at all. APM for the diamond level player is, once again, not important at all (Well ok maybe a little if you are zerg). APM only matters in the high amateur/professional level, and the reason it is important is because the more actions you can take in one minute effects the speed at which you can issue orders. Someone who can only do 30 apm is effectively issuing one order every 2 seconds, which is not sufficient for the high level micro armies with multiple casters and abilities plus the positioning and movement required.

In short, unless you are competing for money it isnt important at all.

Edit: Changed your title a bit to give more information.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Sweet, that means I would be able to live with my lame 73 APM since I have no intention of going pro.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yeah. I hover around 70-100APM depending on how intense the game is. My highest spike is 200. Iono. WhiteRa said that the macro and pathing mechanics are so good in this game you could get away with 120 @ pro level. Which is true, I mean auto-mining and control groups of anything, etc.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Contrary to popular belief. I believe that APM is not that important. This is simply because

1. Starcraft 2 is not as APM heavy as starcraft 1. There is less in game mechanics that requires a lot of mouse clicking.
      2. APM does not represent efficiency. You could be repeatly clicking on the same action multiple times like spam click rally points randomly. it won't do you any good.
      3. At low levels, understanding the game mechanics is much more important than increasing the APM. Knowing the counters, build orders etc... Of course you need a minimum of 30-50 apm to do just the basic tasks. Anything above that is a bonus.

A good analogy of APM:
      A high APM person is like a super fast clocked CPU of a computer, whether you use the speed to run your programs is up to you. If you are running microsoft word and playing solidtare, it doesn't matter at all. However, as you get familiar with your computer and decide to learn a few applications like adobe after effect (build orders) or maybe play a game or two (learn to macro). All of a sudden, the CPU (your apm) starts to kick in and make a difference.

APM is ONLY important if and only if your skill level is so high (know all the races, hotkey, macro, build order, counters etc..) that the only bottleneck is your reaction. At this point, your APM will matter since it allows you perform task that you normally cannot.

Downloads
      Uploads
      so can apm constrict someone from not doing something

Downloads
      Uploads
      Well, it could constrict you from spawning larva on 4 hatcheries while building3 ultras, 22 zerglings, and 6 mutas while also engaging an enemies forces with your speedlings, landing FungalGrowths on their MM ball then flanking with your banelings and setting up an expansion at your gold expo.... but if you are ever in a position where this much stuff is necessary, you will have gained enough APM to do so just from playing.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Good point Moderas.

Yea, APM really only matters in late game macro scenarios and when you need to do multiple things at once. Manage a base, defend an expansion, control your harass on their base, etc.

I wouldn't worry about APM until you are top tier diamond... I would worry about focus and game knowledge before that. Remember to scout, remember to not get supply capped, remember to keep teching, remember to build troops, remember to scout more and build the appropriate counters... Once you've mastered ALLL of that to the T.... then you can go train your APM. =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      lol okay. thanks for all the info guys!!! this site is so helpful.

and hey onemanzerg. u should play with me sometime
      i think i might learn more from a zerg player than from scvrush

Downloads
      Uploads
      I am currently playing with one hand due to a full arm cast (left) and average 50 APM with spikes of up to 240 apm. APM is not just important for high level players. APM is imporant for any amount of competitive play. I await the day this cast comes off and my macro/micro ability sky rockets. Back to playing the keyboard like a true Pianist ^^;