+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft 2: The Rules of Macro- Must Read for new users!
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Starcraft 2: The Rules of Macro- Must Read for new users!

The idea behind this thread is to compile a list of basic rules that players should try to follow at all times. In this case, they revolve around macro. I've noticed that this seems to be the weaker half of most new players games, and is definitely still mine. Hopefully by having an easy list of things players should keep up with it will become second nature to players as they move up in leagues instead of having to learn it later.

The Rules:
      1. Always build workers! You need 30 to saturate each base you have, and you will usually have 2+ bases. Thats at least 60 workers!

2. Don't let yourself get supply blocked. This is harder than it sounds, and even SCVRush will admit that he lets himself get supply blocked occasionally. The best way to avoid getting blocked is to start all your depots/pylons early.

3.Do not overbuild. 5 warpgates, a robo, and a stargate is nothing but waste on 1 base. You want to find a sweet spot where you can have every building constantly produce units without excess money.IF 2 gates can make zealots constantly and your stock is still growing, erect a 3rd.

4. Sort of the opposite, do not underbuild. IF you have excess money, dont let it stockpile. Instead, get an upgrade or add on a production structure to get more units out faster. Excess money can also go towards an expansion or making a few extra depots/pylons to get ahead of the game.

5.Consider base layout. If you put all your buildings in one place, they are all vulnerable to attack. One push could spell GG for you instantly if they make it to said buildings. On the other hand, if you spread them out it will be harder to get to them in time to defend them from drops, banshees, mutas etc. Consider what units your opponent is using and how mobile your army is.

6. Expand any time you have map control. If you push out, expand while the opponent is stuck in their base. If you defeat a push, expand while the enemy rebuilds. If you are steadily harassing, expand while they try to deal with it.

All I could think of at the moment, if anyone has anything they would like to add just post it. If people think this will help, we could do one for micro etc. too and sticky them.
      Last edited by Moderas; 11-06-2010 at 08:15 AM.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      I would like to add to that, especially as a zerg player:

1. As zerg, ALWAYS (i mean always) spread creep, it makes that much of a difference the 30% increase in speed, being able to get to and from places really fast (especially with speedlings), and being able to reinforce units quickly.

2. To keep up economically, you always need to spread, which I believe is standard as zerg and you should always have 1 more base than your opponent as its so much cheaper to spread as zerg than protoss/terran.

3. Have a couple queen backups (especially later inthe game) they are essential to your army, have a decent attack, spawn larvae and most important are generally the highest priority target for you opponent as no queens means very slow unit production. Also they do well as a support, transfusion on muta/ultra/broodies can be deadly, especially when you have creep in the fighting area.

Also, just a side note, if your opponent is turtling and you see that they are fast teching air, IMO rather than fast tech to aa (which is hard in zergs case, and expensive considering you will see a starport/stargate already building units) is to get either cannons, spores or turrets up then tech, as most likely they will rush you with only a couple units, and this will deal with them well. General positioning would both ends of the mineral line and just behind your nexus/hatch/command.

Oh and just quickly, as zerg, spawn larvae is top priority, if this stops you will have no army! Learn to spawn larvae on the fly or you will find yourself short quite a lot.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Damn. Agree on this one too hahaha. Macro is still my weakest. Everytime I say to constantly build probes doesn't mean I am godlike in that too hahah. There are some games where it's too intense and I forget like everyone else =P

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hmmmm protoss specific macro tips?

-Do not forget to use chrono even in long games. You can always chrono cooldown of warpgates or research or what not. Always use one chrono at the 10/11/or12th probe whenever the FIRST pylon is just finished. Do this if you go standard build i.e. 9pylon-11/12/13gate. You will ALWAYS recuperate that 50 energy by the time you get something else that needs to chrono I believe.

-In addition to spending minerals like moderas, I like to keep my minerals/gas below 500/500. Protoss tend to have a stockpiling issue just like ....zerg. Cause we are all waiting for larva spawn or wargate cooldown, then it's a spam lols.

-Unlike zerg, if you see someone going air, it's highly unlikely like flamga said that he's gonna get 1203123 banshees. Just grab stalkers and keep em in the back of your base, never ever ever build cannons if you can help it. Protoss AA is always good enough especially if you scout with observer.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Sillierabbit View Post
      -Unlike zerg, if you see someone going air, it's highly unlikely like flamga said that he's gonna get 1203123 banshees. Just grab stalkers and keep em in the back of your base, never ever ever build cannons if you can help it. Protoss AA is always good enough especially if you scout with observer.
      Agreed with that, however zerg get nearly nil aa (thats cost effective) until lair tech and that fast upgrading is not viable in this sort of fast air rush situation, by all means protoss and terran have better counters to that, however unless you pump queens, spores ar eyour only real counter unless you go fast lair tech, which is unlikey if you go roach/hydra combination.

Also the resource problem is extremely bad with zerg as well, if you have the spare minerals then you arent pumping fast enough generally, or not enough larvae being generated. If you cant expand then another hatchery in you main is never a bad idea, as long as you can support it.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      As a Terran: I repeat this all the time ahaha

1. Build SCV at all times
      2. Don't get supply locked
      3. Build your army!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Flamga View Post
      Agreed with that, however zerg get nearly nil aa (thats cost effective) until lair tech and that fast upgrading is not viable in this sort of fast air rush situation, by all means protoss and terran have better counters to that, however unless you pump queens, spores ar eyour only real counter unless you go fast lair tech, which is unlikey if you go roach/hydra combination.

Also the resource problem is extremely bad with zerg as well, if you have the spare minerals then you arent pumping fast enough generally, or not enough larvae being generated. If you cant expand then another hatchery in you main is never a bad idea, as long as you can support it.
      Reason why zerg needs a buff lols.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by SCVrush 2. Don't get supply locked
      3. Build your army!
      EVERY. TIME. I hear or use a phrase involving building SCV's I hear "Build SCV at all times" in your voice. I guess thats a sign its working though, eh?
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Moderas View Post
      EVERY. TIME. I hear or use a phrase involving building SCV's I hear "Build SCV at all times" in your voice. I guess thats a sign its working though, eh?
      Reminds me of the start of every game, slamming D on my larvae to make drones and hearing 'YOU NEED MORE MINERALS!' im still waiting for it to swear at me and tell me stop hitting the same button 20 million times when i have 10 minerals and 8/10 supply lol.

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      The sound goes away if you slam your respective build worker button harder and with higher frequency. +it will help boost you fake your way to being an APM pro.