+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Starcraft 2 Diamond, finally!
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Starcraft 2 Diamond, finally!

Well everyone,

I've gone from like 0-5 in my intro matches and being in the bottom of the bronze league. I didnt know a marine from a mutalisk. Now, ranked #17 in the diamond league division Taarim Tango. I'd like to thank theuen.com for basically teaching me about strategy and the game. I would say my skills have gone through a few major shifts, and I'd like to share what I feel made me a better player.

I think two different strategies are what improved my game the most overall. Firstly, you need to scout. Period. Otherwise you're going to get cheesed till the sun comes down. This took me to the top of the bronze league.

After that, I stalled. my next breakthrough was having some sort of coherent idea of what kind of troops to build. Instead of just clicking stuff, I'd build a relatively balanced stack that could take on different types of opponents' troops.

This led me to gold league, where I began having a lot of trouble at around 10-20 rank. I had no macro game whatsoever and not really any strategy other than I could build decent stacks if left alone. I began to play games and train only marines and work on my macro. I made sure I was control grouping, expanding, and training SCVs. The fact that i didn't need to really wory about tactical strategy let me put almost all my attention into improving my macro game as a whole. I mixed in other units gradually.

I stalled again around the 10-20 in platinum league. I improved almost instantly when I began to realize that I had to harass and engage my opponent. I started thinking in terms of the value of units, and began to get comfortable with retreating... something that is almost not done outside of the highest level of starcraft.

Finally, I was able to break into the diamond league when I began to do all of the above, plus react to my opponents' strategies. I found it surprisingly difficult at first to abandon my original build. My gut reactions would always be.. if he has too much anti air/other hard counter, its cause I didnt build enough of my stuff or build it fast enough. I guess my other words of wisdom are.....recognize when you need to make an all in push..... likewise, recognize when you are just shitting away units.

Thats all for now!

Add me if you want to 2v2!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Grats, thats quite an improvement!
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      "This led me to gold league, where I began having a lot of trouble at around 10-20 rank. I had no macro game whatsoever and not really any strategy other than I could build decent stacks if left alone. I began to play games and train only marines and work on my macro. I made sure I was control grouping, expanding, and training SCVs. The fact that i didn't need to really wory about tactical strategy let me put almost all my attention into improving my macro game as a whole. I mixed in other units gradually."

This is probably the most impt =D working on macro, constantly building, constantly spending minerals and gas. I can almost guarantee that in gold and below that most players will have average unspent resources over 1000. That's like 10 zealots/3 carriers/ 4VR/4immortals, etc. lols. And that's an AVERAGE. That's like not having 10 zealots every minute or so lols.

And congrats haha.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Another thank you to the UEN from me... your videos and build orders have really help cement my gameplay. From no experience in RTS 8 weeks ago to gold -- taking on platinum with ease. Thanks.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Wow that is inspiring :O I really would love to learn how you build

Downloads
      Uploads
      Congrats Romeo,

That's a major accomplishment to move up all of those levels. Also, it looks like you have very valuable lessons across all of the levels. I think, even Diamond level players forget so many of these things from time to time and really need to refocus their skills but it was impressive for you to list all of it out.

Congratulations again. =)