starcraft 2 strategy guide and video
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a StarCraft 2 Replay, get help!
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      Some things that I noticed (I will let Sillie or someone who plays Toss more go more in depth)
      -Always build more probes, you took a long break from producing them around 14 and then stopped altogether at 20, but you should have 22-30 per base.
      - You build 4 gateways, a robo facility, and then began teching to DT's. On your income at the time there was no way you could support that, therefore at least 1 of your buildings was being neglected at any given time. I would suggest only building what you need and then get extra production/tech when you can afford to use it to its fullest
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      I liked how you switched your rally pt for your probes to an empty mineral patch early on.

-You need to chrono boost the 10/11/12 probes ONCE. Protoss ALWAYS have enough time to hit 100 if you are planning to save the chrono for something chrono intensive like a 2gate zealot push. So always chrono 10/11/and or 12 probe (ASA the pylon finishes) if you are going semi-standard and nothing dumb like 10gate.
      -My bad, you went unorthodox with an early 10 gate lols.
      -Fully scout please. You don't ever ever know if someone is trying something retarded or sneaky. I've seen players build first racks near ramp and hide 2nd quick racks behind, then you think its safe but its not. Or you don't spot the gas furthest away and he pops out marauders while you got stalkers for those marines you thought he was getting. Don't be lazy. It only takes you a few more steps. Plus I think it's better to hide probe in their base. a) They might not notice it so you can proxy and b) if you don't proxy pylon you can send the probe out around a critical scouting time so you can see things like "oh two factories" or "he's going 1-1-1" etc. It's worth the sacrifice.
      -Cyber core with no research? Get warpgate asap. It's 50/50 only.
      -Do not supply block yourself =P lols
      -Overrally probes to 1st gas. Don't right click nexus on gas. Just grab 3 that are mining minerals. Safer that way.
      -How in the world are you supporting robo+council+4gates+forge? That's too much like moderas says.
      -And why don't you jkeep most of your forces near the ramp? Protoss' greatest strengths and preferred method of engagement is through a highly controlled choke. You want chokes. You like chokes. You like tight spaces (and yes I like tight spaces too, if you know what I mean)
      -15 minutes into the game you have 20 probes. And DTs coming that you can't support. You are overextending way too much.
      -You need to be proactive in scouting. You scouted at like 1-2minutes. It's 15 minutes later and you still don't know what tech units he has. He could be dropping a ghost on you and you wouldn't be prepared. Chrono out an observer if you have a robo. It takes 20 seconds.
      -Photon cannons are a waste of money. Why do you need them? 2 cannons = 3 zealots or 2.5 stalkers or 1 immortal for me man. I'll take those any day. Fly by with 5 banshees. Cloak and wait for you to ragequit.
      -Do not research shields on forge first. Go weapons.
      -Oh and btw, Terran DID go ghosts and siege tanks. But you did't know so if it was me, all you would hear is 'Nuclear Launch Detected' lols. Remember he could've easily gone banshees. Damn, you let the AI get to battlecruisers lols.

Anyways those were all the 'mistakes' I saw as you were playing. Quite honestly, you are being too lax. Turtling too much. Terran has hit you twice. It is mostly terrans who turtle. Protoss are designed to be highly mobile forces with their warpgates, charge, blink, etc. But again the number 1 thing you can work on, is constant probe production. You never peaked over 20. A saturated base has 24. You ideally want to oversaturate a bit and then expand. That is how the timing of your expansions should work. You want to be at least 32 probes. Expand. Send 8 over to the expo so one probe occupies each mineral field. But even then expansion at 32 is late. I sometimes do it earlier, depends on the pressure and if you scouted well enough to know he won't attack you soon or if you know you can defend it easily. Quite honestly IMO, one base protoss can really only support a couple things but I think the most you can really support is like 4 gates, and then going one path with the forge. i.e. one path = stargate+fleet or robo+facility or council+high templars. It starts getting too gas intensive with all the upgrades after that and you will need to expand.

Also you use DTs mixed in your army. Wrong way to use DTs. Take advantage of their cloak, and one hit kill on workers to use them as assassins. I should pt out that when DTs kill any unit in one hit that the enemy is not alerted. So it is quite possible to destroy someones mineral line without having them see or no.

But overall, the #1 thing you should work on is CONSTANT PROBE = CONSTANT MONEY = CONSTANT BUILDING. I suggest a 12 gate build over your 10. Your 10 did nothing, why build early? Does AI rush? No. Are you rushing? No. Build at 12 or even 13 to establish strong economy. If I was in a 3v3 game or something and my base was furthest away I sometimes go 13 gate for sure. Again this is AI, so practice more on just constant probe production. And I think a good tip is to not build a forge because you need cannons, build a forge cause you need upgrades. That's how I always think, forge is for upgrades not for cannons. Cannons are secondary. Just like how if I build a robo facility its almost 90% of the time for colossus range and not for observer speed. Get into the thinking that forge is for +1 attack right away and not for cannons lols.

In other news, I think I might go over to SCVrush's place in 2-3 weeks and maybe I'll record me as I am playing so some of the newer protoss players can see what I am doing. >.< lols

GL and HF.
      Last edited by Sillierabbit; 10-03-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Something that I think most people in here could benefit from (Especially me back when I posted my first couple replays >.>) is following Day9's rules of macro.
      rule 1. Always build worker. never stop building them and only build a unit or building when you can afford to make a worker with it.
      rule 2. Never, ever let yourself get supply blocked. Always start your next pylon or supply depot early enough that it will finish BEFORE you hit the supply cap
      and as he said, if you follow these rules soon you will find that you can win a lot of games just by having a lot of shit.

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hey guys. Looked over some of the tips, which should help me out. But I wanted a little help from my replay. This is upper part of bronze league. Currently #9, until I lose again since I started playing zerg in 1v1. Thanks for any help.
      P.S. The guy complains the whole game, so be warned. Plus it's a long game. 43 minutes. First battle is about 16m in.

Zerg vs Protoss 43m - Blistering Sands

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Stigma Scout with a drone at 9 or 10.
      When your spawning pool first comes up, build a set of lings to run around the map and scout with, or build more if you think you are going to get rushed.

There is a lot more I could say of things you could improve, but just building a lot more drones and keeping that production up while you are building your army is going to leave you with so many extra minerals that you aren't going to be able to keep up and have a lot of extra resources most likely. But that's ok, its a good first step to get your economy going better even if it might cost you a few games to get used to the new build.

Other than that your games should change a lot with these few changes, so I would say try those out and after a few games post up another replay
      slowbadon.139 add me

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by slowbadon Scout with a drone at 9 or 10.
      When your spawning pool first comes up, build a set of lings to run around the map and scout with, or build more if you think you are going to get rushed.

There is a lot more I could say of things you could improve, but just building a lot more drones and keeping that production up while you are building your army is going to leave you with so many extra minerals that you aren't going to be able to keep up and have a lot of extra resources most likely. But that's ok, its a good first step to get your economy going better even if it might cost you a few games to get used to the new build.

Other than that your games should change a lot with these few changes, so I would say try those out and after a few games post up another replay
      Thanks for the suggestions. I originally would go overlord at 9, then pool at 11 or 12, but after some replays against zerg I saw a lot of early pools. I'll avoid doing that from now on, unless maybe it's zerg vs zerg. I'll post again with the results of the new build order.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yeah honestly, the most helpful thing right now is for people to go through their replays themselves. Tell me how many probes/drones/scvs you have at the 15 minute mark. It should be around 30-40 depending on if you got attacked or not. If it's like 20 or below .... there really is only one tip..build more workers...gather more minerals...build more things. Once you have that, what I would call basic macro down, then you can introduce more strategy. Don't try anything like 6pool or DT rush or tank drops, just focus on massing simple, efficient easy units ... like lings + mutas ... or stalker, sentry, zealots or ... MMM for terran. Just really go on the basics. You guys will be surprised that you can actually get into silver or even gold league just by making sure you are always building probes and keeping your minerals and gas below 500/500.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Tried to go blink stalkers on lost temple, failed pretty bad, need help.

Gothmog PvT Lost Temple 16 min

My scouting was off, should've seen the thors, but didn't.

Downloads
      Uploads
      - You had a lot of extra money throughout most of the game. You really should have used it to get your expo up sooner or make extra units. Imagine how different that last fight could have been with 19 zealots instead of 1900 minerals.
      - Your scouting was a bit off, mainly cause you didnt go deep enough in to his base.
      - Stalkers are a good all around unit and Immortals are pretty good against Thors and Marauders but overall your army was sort of... ill equipped. A few High Templars to feedback thors and drop a storm or two could have won that battle for you.
      -You reacted a little late to the drop in your base, probably should have warped in a stalker as soon as you saw it to try to force it away, then reinforce if he goes for the drop anyway. Same thing kind of happened with the hellions, if you had warped in a stalker you wouldnt have had to lose so many probes by attacking them.

Im sure Sillie will have more input next time he is on, too

Edit: First to 50 posts? >.>

Downloads
      Uploads
      thanks for the comments, will definitely work on my macro game and army composition =)

edit: instead of making a new thread, i thought i could just ask here:

are any of the 1v1 maps particularly unfavorable for protoss? atm i haven't downvoted any maps.
      Last edited by Gothmog; 10-10-2010 at 11:56 AM.