starcraft 2 strategy guide and video
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a StarCraft 2 Replay, get help!
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      Oh, one more thing CONTROL groups. You don't have any. Don't you find it troublesome to manually zoom around and select units? I don't know if you don't know the hotkeys either, but if you don't learn them. 'W' auto-selects all wargates. S to build stalkers. E to build probes. C to chrono etc. You should hotkey your production buildings and your army as well. Press CTRL+# where #=1,2,3..0 And whatever you selected will be in that group. This will make everything so much faster. The only things I don't hotkey are research buildings like forge, those take so long that it is okay to not hotkey them.

Here are my own personal hotkeys as protoss:
      1- Main army (stalkers,zealots,sentrys, etc) The default unit if you have a gateway mix is usually sentry so you can still forcefield and/or guardian shield if you just hit one.
      2- Spellcasters,micro heavy units, or air. Usually for High Templars/Colossus/Phoenix/etc.
      3-Warpgates
      4-Robo or Stargate whichever one I selected to tech to first. If not 4 is empty for me.
      5-Nexuses (what is the plural of Nexus? Nexii? lols)

Downloads
      Uploads
      here's the shorter of my fail games.. in bronze xD
      1v1 PvZ replay

Downloads
      Uploads
      HiLoPicoLo Delta Quadrant ZvP
      - Mineral starts getting high at like 2.5 minutes. Too much focus on micro-ing that drone. In the beginning it is more critical to minimize the mistakes in macro. Cause 5 sec faster overlord = 5 sec faster lings etc etc.
      -Target priority. When you scouted his base, you clearly saw no gas on 3 gates. I noticed you run by his gates/pylon and go for workers. He didn't even start building. I would've sent 3-4 lings to attack the pylon and the rest to harass. If the pylon goes down, his 3gates are done for and he loses. You don't need to attack workers everytime.
      -I don't know what build you were going for, but you had 9-10 workers for a long time. +500 minerals as well at the 5 minute mark.
      -Your opponent gets supplied block and doesn't build a pylon. He goes for forge..then two cannons before he even thinks of getting rid of the supply block lols.....
      -You end up trying to get a third base and lose to like 10 zealots.

I liked that you hotkey. I liked that you scouted completely.
      You should hotkey your queen(s) as well. OneManZerg has a tip/trick in the other thread on how to do spawn larva if you have multiple queen/bases. You scouted completely and what did that tell you? 1) He had no gas. 2) He made 3 gateways. Therefore, the only unit he can make is zealots. This means you know a strong zealot push is coming. Tech to roaches was what you needed, not more lings. Instead of getting that second base, you could've gotten one or two gases and teched quickly to roaches. You had enough gas, since you didn't do anything but tech to lair with it. You should never be scared to sacrifice a ling for scouting purposes. If you pushed a ling in, it would die to his 2 cannons and 10 zealots but at least you know he has nothing but zealots.

Yea..I don't really see a major problem with your build or play. It seems like it's just scouting and knowing what to do. Perhaps you have been playing the same build order/style too long and got too comfortable with it? How do you react if the protoss walled off with buildings and put 1-2 zealot in the choke? Cause that is what I do against zerg all the time. I have to wall off, or a ling run by is devastating.

So main tips are a) Use the scouting info WISELY and b) keep minerals/gas below 500/500 if you can help it =D below 200/200 if its like the first 5 minutes of the game. Anyways, you had that game easy. Good luck and keep trying.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Sillierrabbit, thanks for helping out posting quality content on our forums. Really appreciated.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Thanks Sillierabbit, I tried some of the things you told me and posted another replay, if you can take a look =D
      I'm having trouble with knowing when to expand.

And thanks Moderas for making this thread

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hey Hilopicolo, I'm a diamond zerg player and I just watched the replays, I've got a few things to add

First off this is a lot of text, so I would say work on one thing at a time until you feel comfortable with it, if you try to fix everything at once, its going to be too much and will be less helpful that way, I would say first thing, work on your drone production, get up a better economy

On Delta Quadrant,
      -In PvZ, as long as you scout and make sure they aren't going to try and proxy you, I wouldn't get a pool down before 12 or 13, I usually do a 14 pool but if you don't feel comfortable with that its fine, you don't need a pool up at 10 or 11 unless you are getting proxied, and it will give you a better economy with the later pool
      -build more drones, unless you know for a fact you are going to win early, build less lings, and build more drones, those lings running in there did almost nothing, and having those extra drones would have helped your economy a lot
      -once your spawning pool is up it takes you around one minute to start building your queen, which is way too long unless you are trying to get a lair and then a queen, but you had no gas so you weren't doing that.
      -when you attack with your lings the first time, you had a decent little line going with your lings against the probes, but then you moved them back to try and micro, which actually hurt you, since instead of having a line and its 1v1 with the other probes in the back, you got surrounded and took out a lot less probes that way.
      -your expansion was an ok idea, but when you kept running your lings in and saw no gas and just gateways, you should have built a roach warren, also you only had like 10 drones then, you weren't nearly close to being saturated at your main.
      -if you had stopped building lings after your first 8, built a lot of drones instead while getting up a roach warren, then kept poppin out them, you had this won then
      -if you are going to get that many lings and not a lot else, get ling speed, always
      -you got up to a lair and got a hydralisk den, im wondering why because if you had just gone roaches you would have won, were you worried he was goign to get some air? you had your overlord near his base, you could have moved him into the protoss base if you were afraid he might be teching.
      -a good time to expand in that game would hvae been right when you were attacking, he didn't have anything and you got somewhat of an advantage, so you should have kept a few lings and then just gotten more drones and built up a superior economy

On Xel Naga Caverns

-I didn't have time to watch the whole replay, but if when you attacked with your lings and roaches, you had just ran past the cannons instead of fighting them, that's gg, you win
      -also, extreme lol on the dreaded 1 colossus, 1 carrier combo the toss was roaming the map with at one point
      Last edited by slowbadon; 09-08-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Also if people post replays, please a) rename file with the name you used when playing, map, and race match up with your race going first. And b) Please post the length of the replay. Don't really have time to watch and/or pause a 1hr + replay sometimes >.< I prefer short replays like 10-20 minutes lols

Downloads
      Uploads
      Sillie, I added a bit to the OP about renaming files to be more specific. Hopefully they will wreak less havoc on your, and the other helpers, replay folders now

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hello all, been a while since there has been a post here so here we go:
      Zitania TvP cannon rush - Downloads - StarCraft 2 Strategy
      This is a replay of me (Gold league Terran) against a gold level protoss who attempted to cannon rush me. I'm mainly looking for feedback on how well I countered the cannon rush but feedback on anything is much appreciated.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Hi, newbie Protoss player here, I only play AI because I want to practice the build orders/unit comp etc first.

Newbie Protoss help- LanEvoIII - Downloads - StarCraft 2 Strategy

Thanks in advance