+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: North American Star League Announcement
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

North American Star League Announcement

Hey everyone,

We have a major e-sports announcement today about the North American Star League. It is a league that has a $400,000 prize pool and it was just announced today, 2/21/2011. Check out iNcontrol's livestream here to view the actual game (fast forward to over an hour in to get to actual footage).

I want to hear what everyone thinks about this below so please post your thoughts. Is this the greatest thing ever? Should we have the pros stay in korea and are we diluting the pool? Is North America SC II play going to be like the European basketball league to the NBA or will it take over as the place to be?

What are your thoughts?

-OMZ
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      Eh without a supportive culture and the social stigma still attached to "gaming" in America, it won't be enough. Sure everyone who plays SC2 might pick it up but you won't see 30 or 50 year olds sitting in the crowd like they do in Korea. It just won't have the same effect I think. Pro-wise I think Korea looks like it is still the place to go for the good talent. It might end up like the NBA where the pro-foreign players go to Korea ala Yao Ming and the NASL gets the "shitty" players that didn't make the GSL lols.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I agree, and its the same in Australia, you try explaining why SC2, SC and other RTS and even other games are great at the competitive level, and all the older people and those who dont understand gaming have no idea whats going on, and mostly either dont care or think its a waste of time. It will still be some time I believe before Esports will take off like the GSL in Korea
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think this league will have enough attention and interest to become self-sustaining rather quickly. If they can get to a point where they run at even a slight profit off HQ sales/advertising/merchandise (I, personally, would love to see some TL or EG shirts available) then the league will stick around and be entertaining and hopefully lead the way to removing at least a *bit* of the stigma.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      i think if they would keep it up it will encourage young people to join.. but as far as I can see only the younger generation will embrace it for now.. come 2025 maybe e-sports will be recognized like chess or what but for now I think they just need to keep on doing it, introducing e-sports to the world, giving big prize pools and probably make a tv channel dedicated to e-sports like gomtv showing some starcraft stuff all day. They need to do whatever it takes even to the point where they make all players wear astronaut-like jackets and corny stuff haha
      Last edited by woreyour; 02-22-2011 at 02:34 AM.
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."