starcraft 2 strategy guide and video
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Increase Forum Security
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Increase Forum Security

Was just wondering if everyone has had the same thoughts with the recent spam on the boards if there is anything that can be done to stop spammers and bots getting on the boards?

Yes this is generalised towards OMZ and SCVrush, however I though everyone might like to rage over it in general and have a good laugh at some peoples bad attempts at trying to get somethign from everyone.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      There is really not much I can do at this point, I can add (FILL IN WORD) security on every forum post, but that would just discourage active users. Some of these new spam threads are done by real people while others are done by bots. It is possible to make user unable to start a new thread until you reach 5 posts (again discourage new users).

The good news is that our forum is ranked high on google, people are spamming and advertising here because they believe this is a well established community.

EDIT: I have changed the security question from RECAPTCHA to "The acronym for The United Earth Network is? (hint: our website's url)", hopefully it is hardly for bots to crack lol.
      Last edited by SCVrush; 01-18-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      As long as were popular, it's okay?
      Hahaha.
      But it is quite annoying, every morning i see a new thread title'd "???" coz i cant understand it.
      If anyone has idea on how to stop it, would love to hear it.
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      No idea how to stop it, but I am deleting them as fast as I can lol
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Okok, I've done some research on anti spams and security and I "believe" I've some effective ways to reduce spam. Hopefully the forum will be filled with less spam.

- Custom question at registration
      - requires email verification
      - Akismet anti spam module

Downloads
      Uploads
      ya, email verification is a must.

My SC2 VODs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ketroc21

Downloads
      Uploads
      ok no one here can rage im that only one that can so no one i repeat no one copy my rage ness ty and good day

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by SCVrush View Post
      There is really not much I can do at this point, I can add (FILL IN WORD) security on every forum post, but that would just discourage active users. Some of these new spam threads are done by real people while others are done by bots. It is possible to make user unable to start a new thread until you reach 5 posts (again discourage new users).

The good news is that our forum is ranked high on google, people are spamming and advertising here because they believe this is a well established community.

EDIT: I have changed the security question from RECAPTCHA to "The acronym for The United Earth Network is? (hint: our website's url)", hopefully it is hardly for bots to crack lol.
      Yea I gathered as much but it doesnt hurt to ask thanks for the hard work SCVrush, and yes im on here every morning and evening deleting the spam haha XD
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!