+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Units Strategy
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Units Strategy

First on the list is the protoss' Archon. The archon being a unit that is created from two previous, units either high templar or dark templar or a combination of the two, take up a good amount of minerals. Other than there amazing shield regenerating ability who uses these unit and how? Do u send them in to reinforce then draw them back to regenerate or what?

Downloads
      Uploads
      The Archon is a rarely used unit right now, mainly due to the fact that their range and speed does not allow for them to hit most of the units they are good against. In general, the only time you will see them will be after you have exhausted your HT's energy because you can morph them to help finish the battle.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      You have to remember that archons do bonus damage against biological units, and also do splash as well as attack land and air, so yes you would wait until the templar are depleted of energy however they still have their uses against masses of units. Ive seen a few pro games where they have been used against zerg to great effect for defensive measures on the ramps, or offensive when getting surrounded, also against bioballs from terran as well.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      They are GREAT against bio, in fact they are probably the most cost effective way to deal with ling/bling/muta. Their problem, however, is that with 2 range and a slow movement speed (2.25, I beleive) they have no means of catching any of these units. Well micro'd mutas can avoid an Archon almost infinitely, unlike in BW where Archons were guaranteed to land at least 1 shot per swoop.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yea, thats why I like them as ramp blockers, also do they travel the same speed as zealots? I cant remember XD But yes they do have their uses, as I always say, just keep testing them till you find a place you feel comfortable with them
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      can't really add much to the above but if you have an archon or 2 in your base near the mineral line in addition to a couple of HT's you are pretty much safe from infinity mutalisks.

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads
      Ok, just as I thought not many uses but defense. Still the storm looks cool.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Pros:
      -Archons have a lot of shield points, meaning they can leave the battle with "15 hp" and regenerate it totally over time.
      -Archons make splash damage.
      -Archons make a lot of damage vs bio (In other word, all zerg units).
      -Archons have no armor class other than "Psionic", Meaning they do not have any real counters (Except range).
      -Archons stack pretty well in a gateway unit mixture:
      Unit______Range
      Zealot ----- 1
      Archon ----- ( I dont really know, 2-3 ? )
      Sentry ----- 5
      Stalker ----- 6

Cons:
      -They do not have a good range.
      -They move slowly.
      -Armor upgrade is useless.
      -Pretty costy.

In other words, they are some kind of Thors, but that makes AoE vs ground. I did some tests a long time ago, I don't remember them perfectly, but by memory they could pretty much counter any zerg unit except the Brood lords. Effective in a game, I don't think so. But i'm sure that if you make mass dark templar and pop 40 archons in their base they'll go WTF omgggBBQ GG ragequit.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Zilmerx View Post
      Pros:
      -Archons have a lot of shield points, meaning they can leave the battle with "15 hp" and regenerate it totally over time.
      -Archons make splash damage.
      -Archons make a lot of damage vs bio (In other word, all zerg units).
      -Archons have no armor class other than "Psionic", Meaning they do not have any real counters (Except range).
      -Archons stack pretty well in a gateway unit mixture:
      Unit______Range
      Zealot ----- 1
      Archon ----- ( I dont really know, 2-3 ? )
      Sentry ----- 5
      Stalker ----- 6

Cons:
      -They do not have a good range.
      -They move slowly.
      -Armor upgrade is useless.
      -Pretty costy.

In other words, they are some kind of Thors, but that makes AoE vs ground. I did some tests a long time ago, I don't remember them perfectly, but by memory they could pretty much counter any zerg unit except the Brood lords. Effective in a game, I don't think so. But i'm sure that if you make mass dark templar and pop 40 archons in their base they'll go WTF omgggBBQ GG ragequit.
      Someone so should try this out haha

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Starcraft 2 Archon

Go there guys... The reason we built this site was as a giant resource tool. =)

range: 2
      speed: 2.81
      shield: 350
      hp: 10

Dps 14.3 vs. normal and 20 vs. bio

Also, interesting fact is they build 3 seconds faster than banelings
      OneManZerg - 971