starcraft 2 strategy guide and video
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: Feedback needed z v z.
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Feedback needed z v z.

Hey guysz I've only just come back from two weeks holidays and I'm not playing real well. I've lost 6 ladder matches in a row and I need your help.

I'm going to post up 3 of my latest games for the community to look at and I need you guys to be honest. I know I'm not playing well and I'm not doing some fundamentals right but I need fresh eyes to look st it as well and point stuff out. I'm quite frustrated about the whole thing at the moment which I know is contributing. Vicious circle there.

I'll post them up in a few hours but the more help and comments I get the better I will feel.

Cheers in advance

http://www.theuen.com/forum/download...do=file&id=198

http://www.theuen.com/forum/download...do=file&id=199

http://www.theuen.com/forum/download...do=file&id=200

http://www.theuen.com/forum/download...do=file&id=201
      Last edited by Cazaril; 12-21-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Here I was wondering why there were no comments and then I realized you still hadn't posted them . Guess I'll have to watch other replays instead... [sigh].
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      games are up

Downloads
      Uploads
      Downloaded one before I was stymied by the message that I had to wait a minute between DL's. SCV, fix it!!

Comments to follow
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      OK, brief thoughts from game 1:

~Did you go in with a specific build in mind? I ask because a) you went 10-OL-etc, and b) you got Lair a *long* time before actually using it. In general, it's been found that going 9-OL or 11-OL is almost *always* more efficient than going 10-OL, so I might suggest experimenting with a different order. I've been having decent success (and a great deal of fun) with [EDIT: it seems it won't let me post an external link? Trying to reference an 11 overpool into 16 queen 18 hatch build], but TeamLiquid.net can provide a wide variety of other possibilities.
      ~You scouted *really* early (6, iirc?), which in my experience doesn't provide much intel. You might consider moving to a later scout simply to give yourself some more time for economy. This early scout impacted your production timing, and ultimately had a snowball effect on your income due to the microing you had to do to keep him alive.
      ~Despite coming out with a fairly economy-focused opener, you didn't drop your first expand until 20 or 21. Unless you're doing a fast roach/ling push, I think you'd be better off going with a more standard 14 hatch/14 pool (or something of its ilk). I can't think of a reason not to drop an expansion early unless you want to get a fast push on, which you didn't really seem to be focused on.
      ~By and large, your OLs were clustered in your base (until about 10 minutes in). Try to plant the first few at strategic locales (e.g., in this case, the high ground above his exp, the high ground around the middle, your own natural high ground, etc.)
      ~Once his roach swarm came in, you did well in building up your region of defense (with two spines and a good group of roaches). However, when he broke in, you effectively had to sacrifice the expo, as even when your mutas popped, they couldn't take out 10 roaches solo before they wrecked you. In these cases, try to move your drones out, rather than letting them vanish.

Not a bad game for shaking off the rust, but if I were to pick a single aspect I mentioned above, I'd strongly suggest working on developing a faster expansion or a faster push. Which you prefer is a personal choice, but as far as I am aware, the early game should almost always be leaning towards one or the other. More experienced/better Zergs, please contradict me if I'm wrong.
      Last edited by smagee; 12-21-2010 at 08:12 PM.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      No your not wrong smagee, but the issue I was going to mention was more basic, if you watch your replays, just watch your and his drone counts. You sit at 20 ish for nearly all games for two bases, where they got up past 30-40 drones. As zerg you cant really start commenting on play until you have heaps of drones, as itll open so much more paths to you build wise and youll find you expand faster, have more units faster and faster upgrades or tech.

So what I would do, which scared me to death when I did this for a week, is just build drones for a match, and only build units to defend, i.e. you see his units leave his base, better make some army, then back to drones. Yes you will probably lose, but you will see how much is too much, then back off a tiny bit.

Say you make 70 drones in a match, and you lose really badly to a push, you know well I better cut down on drones. We then get the converse which is you atm, where there arent enough drones, and not enough army as you dont have the income to support it. Next time we are both on I can work on this with you
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!