Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Direction of The United Earth Network and feedback
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Direction of The United Earth Network and feedback

Hello folks,

First of all, I want to thank you guys for contributing and for some of you, interested in casting with us at THEUEN! I am really happy and thankful for all of you. Our small community is growing and it's a lot of fun posting here. I want to thank everyone who viewed our ads from google, they are there so we can pay for our servers. We plan to use all resources on hosting a tournament with these monetary assets.
      In this post, I'll go over the direction that we plan ahead for our website.

The purpose or the original goal of this website was to have a lot of resources (or video resources) for those who are interested in learning Starcraft 2. With a lot of resources on our site and integration of contents, it provides a solid foundation for the community. With that in mind, OMZ and I just kept making strategy videos. I personally was really surprised that our forum became a huge success and people were really kind and helpful! At first, I was really worried that our forum turns into starcraftarena or battle.net, but I was really relieved to see all of you contributing helpful information and a bit of fun trolling haha.

With that in mind, the direction that we are heading seems to stem towards a commentary hub style website; no longer just a strategy website. With partners like FTWbroadcasting, hunterstarcraft, and sc2noobschool, the site now offers a lot of quality content. If we do stem into this direction, our website will look similar to sc2casts.com, but with our own casters instead of random ones. In the future, the site will no longer be just about OMZ and I, but a community where people contribute. I think this is a pretty good direction. I am still worried that our forum might start to get spammed lol, but I think our moderator polices are really good!

Some other direction ideas:
      As you guys know, we stopped making strategy videos, I think they have good value and have lasting power. In other words, they are always good resource for anyone who wants to learn unlike commentaries which kind of dies off over time. Eventually, I think we could start releasing premium strategy videos for a small fee like 2 dollars monthly subscription. We truly believe that all contents should be free. So after a month or so, we'll release the videos to the public. With this money and maybe sponsor, we can pull resources to host big tournaments with thousands of dollars of prize money. I think that would be pretty cool as well.

Other Direction 2:

Be like teamliquid but not exclusive to elites which I feel is what our forum is heading towards.

Again, I want to thank all of you for contributing to theuen. If you guys can leave a feedback or anything you would like to add, I would really appreciate it. I want to hear what you guys think too.

Oh excuse the grammar lol.

Scvrush

Downloads
      Uploads
      Firstly I would like to say a big thank you to all you guys that made me feel welcome here when it first started up, I think I joined up in the first couple of months when it all started, and boy have we got lots of people now! So I would like to share my feedback as well for everyone:

I think we have grown really well, and that we have a lot of people with ranges of abilities and ideas, ive even gotten ideas from bronze level players that ive used successfully in the platinum/diamond levels (thanks smagee for my proxy spine crawlers) and I believe that having that wide range of abilities is key to making sure we keep the forums alive. I mean honestly, who wants to chat to high level players all the time? :P Things like this and people on the vent server and in game regularly help us heaps!

The idea of eventually charging a fee I sorta dont like the idea of, but thats me personally, just for the strategy videos exclusively. If we were to do this maybe include other benefits to this as well? i.e. tourney entry to increase the prize pool, vent server access (when we get up there, but we can just leave that to donations if we wish ) and anything else anyone can think of however atm I dont think we will be big enough for a while to be able to charge any sort of amount for anything, but this will obviously change with time.

Also there will probably be the need to start distributing tasks between people if it gets that busy but aside from that if anything is needed I do volunteer for site and everything

GL HF guys!

Flamga
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think Flamga makes a good point in that in contrast to TL's community, we cater much more heavily to the lower-level players, which in my book is a good thing. I'm a pretty crummy player for the most part (due in large part simply to lack of practice time), but I still find the general atmosphere here to be welcoming and accepting--something that simply can't be said for other forums that I've lurked in.

I'm inclined to agree with Flamga's assertion that we probably don't have the pull to manage paid videos simply because of the fact that we cater to such a diverse audience; lower level players would be unlikely to pay for high-end strategies, and better players can find such videos elsewhere for free. However, as interest in the UEN Tourneys continues to grow (and by the thread in that forum, it very obviously is), we draw more and more hidden forum members out of the woodwork and into the community.

From the general input of new forum contributors, the main things drawing people to the site are the videos, so it makes sense that the focus should continue in that direction. I'm curious, however, if most people are coming by way of strategy or commentary vids; that would be an interesting thing to help determine which direction the site (and video creators) should focus on in the future. Any newcomers mind providing input in that regard? I know I myself arrived due to strategy (and the strat vids remain one of my primary interests here), but others may have different draws.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      Amazingly thats the first thing I saw before I joined up XD the strategy videos were a great help especially in the execution of specific things.

However the only thing I dont want to see happen is that we just head for one skill level, i.e. lower level only or higher level only, even if that means having tourneys for each level/division and such.
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      I also found this place by the strat vids. But once I got here I noticed it was much more. Those other things aren't emphasized as much as the strats vids. Commentaries are really what is going to get people to find the UEN. You usually have to know where to look to find commentaries. I don't want to see payed content. Not that I don't want you guys to prosper from your hard work but that has a tendency to turn people away. I see paid-for-training vids and I usually stop looking at the site. I can't speak everyone but that is my take. Chip in tournaments are a good idea I think. If we can get 20+ people at 5 bucks per person then you can have a 100 winners pool. I would join in on that action. I like the diversity in this community and I hope that doesn't change with the new directions. I kinda like Direction # 2.
      Krawll-959
      Add me and feel the wrath of the bronze.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I would steer away from pay-for-content. I think we should turn some of our focus and attention back to strategy videos. A lot of the strategy videos are quite out of date with the new patches. I'm willing to help make strategy videos for us. I was actually going to do that on my own, but it's quite a daunting task, since I don't know every single build order and strategy out there. I know mostly terran strategies and strategies that I've masterminded and used to a good deal of success.

I think commentaries should honestly be a secondary objective. I also don't want this to become an elitist community, nor do I want it to be specific to one skill level. I like diversity. I think we should eventually break up the forum into skill levels once we get enough members and popularity. I really would like to keep a community of ALL levels and ALL players seeking to better their Starcraft 2 skills.

Something that we CAN do for a fee is tournament entrance. We can also start a training service with an hourly rate to train lower level skilled players. For now, I am training some of our lower skilled players as a probono instructor, but I honestly don't see myself making much money since my knowledge is still limited and I am not completely familiar with other race build orders and strategies.
      Last edited by Fealorin; 12-14-2010 at 04:32 PM.
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads
      *Warning: it is possible to have a hard time following me up with my jumping mind. I also may get off the track time to time. Tell if you want me to clear up a point.*

I-Nice job!
      Really great of you guys to take the time to share your vision (and decide it) of the future of theUEN. Maturity of a forum ftw =)

II- The strengths of theUEN that has to be kept:

a) Strategy guides and videos: vital of understanding the basics.
      (To fill the strategy guides should be on top priorities. If you need a hand on writing the strategy texts, we could create a team dedicated to it, which would save you guys some time.)

b) Commentary videos
      They point out strategies, skill levels, mistakes, funny moments, comebacks, etc. It's not something crucial, but it's the ice cream. It's really good to listen to passionate commentators that literally eat replays or live games by great followups of the action with tips and tricks on top of it.
      //Live commentaries
      They're really great to see what's going on, plus we get to talk together via the chat box. Awesome tool, it's like watching sport games, but we sometimes get live feedback of what we say =D

c) Forum
      It's really the best start point to gather up and then game on. We currently use it to share tips and tricks and match up, but I think we'll have to update the website with the tips and tricks told on the forum so we don't get people asking same questions over and over when it comes more crowded... Maybe have a FAQ section in the strategy corner? And a sticky to tell newcomers to watch that. Also, we could have another sticky to show all our community's member SC2 IDs. (character code, SC2 name, forum name // sorted by skill levels // Most of us already on the spread sheet, but could be good to have in regular text on the forum.)
      Also, I'd suggest to delete really old posts or those that don't need attention anymore. (example: have the season 1 UEN league topic still up when we'll be at the 3rd. // or move them to an invisible forum subdivision, for those who want to keep their post count.
      ----
      The forum is essential. Great background, nice display, available SC2 avatars, active members, it's a warm welcome!
      ----
      (Some details to fix, while at it?)
      I've noticed some spamming via the visitor page / private messages. Is it possible to make PMs a privilege? And to remove visitor pages? (useless?)

d) Replays - download and upload option.
      The best ever tool for the community. Missed a match? Go grab it!!! I love it! Simple, not taking forever, you wanna go use it!
      // Note: have old-unworthy replays deleted. Some people only uploaded them to have some feedback. They don't need to have it backed-up here for 5 years ; )

e) Ventrilo
      AND YES! We have one! God bless Flamga =)
      Talking is way better than typing. Awesome for teaming up, chilling and discussing strategy.

f) Maturity
      Last but not least, I'm really glad this forum didn't end up in a kindergarten. People respect each other, and we're not fighting over I don't know what useless arguments. I don't know how to keep that, but hope it stays like it. (Age requirement?)

II- Things NOT to do.
      Make it $$$.

Some personal reasons why:
      a) People will look elsewhere (me first)
      b) I don't see this serious. Pay to check replays with commentaries? No thanks.
      c) Make it premium = make those eager to improve their gameplay pay while noobs that have hard time playing and witouth time to practice see it for free. Those who really need should theoretically be your most active users, and you don't want to make them pay for that.
      d) Find other ways to get funds. Sell T-Shirts if you want!

III- Personal note
      In SC2, I'm playing to get the most fun out of it. I enjoy improving in this game, but I don't go for high skills gameplay. Instead, I prefer to joke around and chill out about funny facts and theories, which leads me to think about making comedy videos... but that's something for 2011. Spoiler =D

But in brief, all this to say: I love how's this community is growing and I hope it doesn't get too serious business, but meh, some people like it when it becomes like that.

*** Last note: could we use this website to welcome in SC2 fans and then have forum sections for different regions ? (Make tournaments for those with account types)
      Also, if we get to become an important number, we could make language divisions =P

Cookie

Psst: use online spellchecks if you want a good grammar!
      CESTQUOICA [919 US] (Name changed)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Agree with most of what everyone says. I like that the UEN caters to all types and we have been ... troll free for the most part, except in the way beginning lols. I remember that the UEN started off distinctly as a strategy type site and now it has become more commentaries in recent weeks. But I think it would be interesting to see what people actually want to watch in terms of videos. I am not saying the 2v2 TZ games with SCVrush/OMZ are boring but that it might get stale. i.e. I am pretty sure OMZ likes to FE into lings/blings/mutas most of the time and that SCVrush likes to go marine tanks. This is of course not saying that you guys should try new risky/creative strats like battlecruiser rush cause you need to win to stay in diamond.

I also agree with Cookie that strategies should be filled out a bit more if possible. And yeah, I am sure if you put a volunteer team together, the strategies can get hammered out pretty fast. But the strategy team would probably need to update a month or so after a new patch comes out if there are major changes. Videos would be needed obviously.

I was also wondering since we cater to all skill types, how many people would be interesting in watching lower level commentaries? I mean pro-replays and diamond level stuff is all good, but a majority of players are definitely not in diamond and can not execute that fast or what not. Would people be interested in watching analysis of mistakes players do in different leagues? i.e. analyze what separates silver from gold etc? I bring this up because I remember day9 analyzing like gold league play and it was pretty effective. Also, I for one would be interested in watching certain replays that show the effectiveness of a few common SC mistakes. For example, watching a bronze league player play a game. Then tell him to not focus on micro or unit composition or any other BS and just focus on one thing, like keeping minerals below 500 and seeing how well he plays after. I know that Fealorin has been coaching some lower-league players and I for one would be interested in seeing the difference it makes. These are just some ideas of other videos to upload. Not all of it would have to be casted by SCV or OMZ if they don't want to, just seeing if people are interested because some higher level play can get stale pretty fast.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisrichter69 View Post
      I think we should eventually break up the forum into skill levels once we get enough members and popularity. I really would like to keep a community of ALL levels and ALL players seeking to better their Starcraft 2 skills.
      The only problem I see with the division of forum by skill level I, well, division by skill level. Elitism could flourish in the Platinum/Diamond level forums and could occasionally spill over onto the lower (bronze/silver) forums. Though I will say this: the people that make up this community are very close. They don't purposely get each other down or throw insults around, and i'd hope that people would stay like that.

As far as the direction I think TheUEN should go in, I really don't have the place to say since I was here very briefly before I had to stop playing (though I'm back now, obviously). I will say I don't think premium services are a good idea. As has already been mentioned, people will just look elsewhere. The tournament fee, however, is a great idea. It makes them more interesting.

Sorry for the small response but, like I said, I don't really have the right to say much regarding the direction of the site.
      Real ID: Kushakd@Yahoo.com
      Name: Kushakd - Code: 879

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Kushakd View Post
      The only problem I see with the division of forum by skill level I, well, division by skill level. Elitism could flourish in the Platinum/Diamond level forums and could occasionally spill over onto the lower (bronze/silver) forums. Though I will say this: the people that make up this community are very close. They don't purposely get each other down or throw insults around, and i'd hope that people would stay like that.

As far as the direction I think TheUEN should go in, I really don't have the place to say since I was here very briefly before I had to stop playing (though I'm back now, obviously). I will say I don't think premium services are a good idea. As has already been mentioned, people will just look elsewhere. The tournament fee, however, is a great idea. It makes them more interesting.

Sorry for the small response but, like I said, I don't really have the right to say much regarding the direction of the site.
      Probably a perfect summation of what I wanted to say XD, id like to see us stay accessible moreso than hard to get into or costly, remembering that most sc2 players arent gonna have the money to slurge on the game like some of us (me! lol).

Also the splitting is still a bad idea (skill levels) I already notice some peopel going on about how they dont wanna play online with us cause they are bronze/silver. I want to see everyone feel comfortable just mucking around online with us, it would be so much fun! So I think we should head to a direction where we can make every member wanna play together regardless of skill level!

GMT +10.5!