+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Direction of The United Earth Network and feedback
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      i somehow missed this topic ;o
      well i guess I'm just the annoying Euro member and don't really carry much weight here but it can't hurt to share a few thoughts.
      first, big thanks to the staff and everyone for all their hard work with the site. One of biggest factors for getting me up and out of bottom bronze.

i found the site through strategy vids also (how to cannon rush actually :P) and spent my first few weeks watching them and reading up on build orders. if memory servers this was the first and only site i could find that actually had build orders listed as they were here. stuff like that is very attractive to the newer player, so i think it would be a good idea to keep such things up to date (the reaper build for e.g. has rax before depo still)
      I would not be so interested in watching them for myself however, I feel I have progressed enough too use my own builds, but they are countless new players that could still benefit from them.

for myself i would like more strategy discussion, maybe just on the forums, good content could be typed up to be added to the strategy section. basically more user content i feel could really benefit the site. ideas, replays, full replay packs even - with a little note of your thoughts and reasoning behind the decisions you made. they could be uploaded at all skill levels. a bronze player could download a silver/gold players replays and compare how they play, see what changes they need to make to progress. any Masters league or diamond players could get ideas from each others replays and make a few suggestions for improvements on the lower level replays.

the reason i signed up to this site and not team liquid is (in addition to the vids) that i didn't want to just be another noob and get mocked for everything i say, although I'm still a noob I have progressed and i know lower level players dont want me to call them idiots, no elitist crap please. lets keep criticism constructive

i kinda agree with fealorin, i don't think the forum should be split up or organised into skill groups. but there should maybe be a place devoted to higher level strategy discussion.
      i kinda disagree with the notion of diamond level advice not working for a bronze problem. telling a silver player to use marineking micro to solve the problem of attack move banelings is obviously is not constructive. have marauders ahead of your marines would do. but what if the opponent is better than simply attack moving them? have marauders take the hits is no longer enough, advice should be aimed at the skill level of the opponent.

i don't like the pay for content idea it will turn people away, but i do like the sound of a small fee to enter a tourney. i cant play in them myself at the moment but would be happy to donate towards the prize pool
      perhaps the winner would get 60% of the pool, 20% could go towards upgrading the site and advertising, the other 20% could be the prize pool for a free to enter tourney aimed at the lower skill levels to encourage improvement? I'm making these numbers up off the top of my head so don't scrutinise them too much ^^

thanks again for all your hard work. looking forward to see what happens in the coming months
      - Will

McWill 243 - EU

Downloads
      Uploads

Forums

First and foremost a good way to gain traffic and attention is to form a UEN team. Do some work and yes people will be curious.

Clean up the website/forums.. The front page looks like a Marketing add for placebo oriented get ripped fast fake steroids. I have marketing and web traffic skills....

Separate user submitted replays from UEN submitted ones.

Have a league page that displays stats and a database so users can go back and check certain seasons. Every replay game should be saved. You can post a format for posting league replays.

League should be require a certain skill level. Probably Platinum as a minimum. Or form divisions...

King Of the Hill series with stats page for most games as King. End of the year top picks put into a 16man tournament for King of the year.

A tourney bracket generator on the website. This will give users the ability to host their own tournaments in The UEN channel and abroad.. either way traffic is guaranteed.

Add more discussions to the forums and clean it up..

A section for user uploaded commentaries/ game casts.

Umm... That's about it for now
      Last edited by WISPEEL; 01-18-2011 at 11:18 AM.
      My particle beam makes all the bitches cream yeah yeah - MC PROBE

Downloads
      Uploads
      wispell, can you elaborate on some of your plans? What is clean up the forums? I like some of your ideas, however, they may or may not fit the theme of the site. I am not interested in generating random traffic by hosting a tournament bracket generator or be a replay site. I am interested in building a place for the casual and hardcore gamers.

Downloads
      Uploads
      As far as random traffic.. I'm not even sure if I understand that.. The hardest part is getting people to a site.. At that point in time you have 5 seconds or less to grab their attention. If they are coming to sign up for a tournament.. Well I'm sure it's safe to say they are competitive and that it won't be their last time visiting the website. Once they see what UEN has more to offer. Not only will it generate traffic but it will give in house UEN users the ability to host their own tournaments.. Granted it is for competitive use only as stats more then likely won't be saved but an out come page for the winner could be saved for so many days.. Or w/e.. This will also give you the ability to possibly even check out some UEN team prospects.

As far as the replays.. The database could be accessed directly through the website.. Or in-directly.. Or you could only have last season available for search.. Store the rest in archives.. I was thinking it to be more useful for in house UEN gamers in regards to bragging rights or possibly even journalistic rights.. Just remember.. There is always more then one way to approach an idea and more then a million ways to utilize it.

Edit* I see what you mean.. User submitted replays.. If you don't want a replay database then there is only one solution.. Don't allow it. Post replays from PRO games and that is it. Aside from league replays. Which will give verification, bragging rights, and the ability for users to research specific league ordained games as well as take a journalistic approach which will only strengthen the league user base as it becomes more.. interesting.

If you have any specific questions in regards to some of those ideas I posted which were clearly off the top of my head.. I would be better suited to address them in that fashion.

Derek
      Last edited by WISPEEL; 01-18-2011 at 11:41 AM.
      My particle beam makes all the bitches cream yeah yeah - MC PROBE

Downloads
      Uploads
      i got a wet pinecone