starcraft 2 strategy guide and video
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Protoss a micro heavy race?
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      When hitting burrow/unburrow with a group that contains units in both states, I'm almost certain that it unburrows the burrowed units. I recall it once going the other way, but that may have been in BW.

Note that cloak/uncloak is another example I could've used, and one that's on the terran side. I didn't realize the Viking one was also split.
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      When hitting burrow while there is the 2 states, they just burrow until you unborrow them, If my memory's right.

DerKleBesTiF - 233 - (GMT-5)
      Quote Originally Posted by OneManZerg View Post
      *Moderas writes off the Pokemon Theme song*
      Moderas, you might lose moderator status with comments like that. hahahah =p

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by smagee View Post
      Tanks with two different buttons for sieging and unsieging, no less. I can never figure out the rationale behind that when I give Terrans a shot; Zerg's burrow and unburrow is 'r' for both. Why do Terrans need two different keys for the actions? Genuine question, mind you; if a Terran player has a use for the separation, I'd be happy to be enlightened.
      There's a reason why I use Grid shortcut/hotkey setup.
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads
      There's a reason why I don't, too . Does grid relegate it to a single key?
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      To answer the OP...

As a Protoss player, microing sentries well is very important, moreso than any other unit in the Protoss army. They basically even the scales in the Tier 1 and often Tier 2 battle in both PvZ and PvT.

Besides sentries, micro in general is useful, but I don't really see it as any more significant for Protoss than Zerg or Terran.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by smagee View Post
      There's a reason why I don't, too . Does grid relegate it to a single key?
      Nope, but you can't get keys mixed up. I don't know... but I love grid. Ever since I switched to grid, I've become awesome.
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads
      OP: Protoss is micro heavy, but really its only in the beginning/mid game. Late game micro only involves templars, colossus, and maybe stalkers if they have blink. There was a GSL game where artosis/tasteless analyzed correctly that sentries get worst as the game goes on. a) you want them early because they can build up energy which doesn't happen in mid/late game cause at that point you usually warp them in to use them right away. Early game is usually defense for protoss which lets sentries build up. b) there are more answers for FF past mid game due to thors/colossus etc. I won't say ultras cause those take forever to get lols. c) protoss starts getting very gas heavy past gateway tech. so the gas is better invested in templars or colossus. But I would say to work on that sentry + templar challenge. It's very helpful in learning how to correctly place force fields and throw storms. The recent GSL has showed that an early mass sentry timing push is very effective vs a FE terran.

Like others have said, terran is probably most micro heavy late game. Every single unit has an ability that needs to be used. Cloaked/siege/EMP/stim/drop/etc. But the best advice is to play with the race you think is coolest lols. And at the lower skill levels I am 95% sure it is not micro that is costing the game. Learning to macro well will make the game much easier.

Downloads
      Uploads
      I personally find toss easiest to micro. Mostly just cause I'm extremely turned off by late game pvp.
      Here's my take:
      1. Craptons of collosi and stalkers
      2. 1a2a3a
      3. when u see your opponent use ur collosi to focus down the middle of their collosi till one dies
      4. see step 2
      5. Win/Lose depending on how awesome/crap your macro was.

Toss micro is just situationally micro intensive, sometimes u can a-move and go macro other times you gotta forcefield and storm while dancing your collosi from vikings. Meanwhile terran are pretty micro heavy and zerg are all about positioning at the start.

Edit: Dammit Smagee now I want different keys for burrow and unburrow. Then I could try some ridiculous half army unborrowed roach push cycle. :{

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by NightlyNews View Post
      Edit: Dammit Smagee now I want different keys for burrow and unburrow. Then I could try some ridiculous half army unborrowed roach push cycle. :{
      I was encountering this very problem just last night in a few 1v1s with Cookie; I rarely invest in burrow, but once I do, I tend to lose track of which ones I've sent under and which I've left exposed. It'd be interesting to have a cycling roach push (or perhaps a retreat, a la marines); perhaps for a future patch .
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8