starcraft 2 strategy guide and video
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: SC2 Matchmaking system
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

SC2 Matchmaking system

What are your thoughts on SC2, league match making system.
      I Personally think it is bad and stupid, as i am only a 700 diamond. I seem to vs diamonds with over 1000 points over my own points. (1700+).
      Sure sometimes i can beat them but the matchmaking should not have such a huge gap from 2 players.
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      The reason for this is that it is based on MMR which is hidden. Points, on the other hand, are shown and are effected by Blizzards genius little "Bonus Pool". With the bonus pool in place, the average amount of points is constantly inflating at a ridiculous rate (14 points a day) So that the difference between a 700 point and 1700 point is actually much smaller in terms of MMR. This means you will get put up against players of higher/lower points more often as the season goes on longer and longer but actual skill level is *supposed* to stay similar.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      I think the system is funky too.

Recently i played on 2 different 3v3 teams. One team, we'll call team 1, with two players at or above my skill level (SCVRush and Oink) and another with two of my friends who are significantly weaker than myself. Team 1 didn't get into diamond until we were 30-3. It took us forever and we were dying to get into it. Team 2 didn't get into diamond until we were something like 18-11. It just seems weird to me that the obviously more skilled team (in terms of MMR) and better record team took longer in terms of total games and total wins to get to diamond than the clearly much weaker team. I don't think that has to deal with match making specifically, but it was weird how that turned out.

As for the actual match making system I have heard of the MMR system and it being hidden. I think this is interesting but weird as I'd like to know my 'comparability' ranking as opposed to just my 'points.' For shame that you hide that. I think this also affects multiplayer games as well. When I play with my friends who are silver/bronze/gold players we often play real high level players. I think this is because I'm a diamond player and it tries to match our 'hidden' values as opposed to our actual team ranking but I'm not sure...

Suggestions for improvements out there? =)
      OneManZerg - 971

Downloads
      Uploads
      They need to just give us our MMR. Every major sports league or competitive well, anything, uses an ELO system for a reason (including professional Starcraft).
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Yea good point, I read up on the hidden value, and the worst thing is itll try to keep you in one area, i.e. ive won 10 games in a row now on SEA against plat level players in gold and still havent gone up even though i have a massive amount of wins. As said by moderas, i cant see why they wont give us our MMR, i dont care how I get it, but at least I will know if the player im playing is more skilled or not, as Ive found recently the bronze to diamond system ranking really doesnt mean much.

It says your better that your in diamond..... really im pretty sure ive beaten many diamond players.... what does that say about their MMR and how are they in diamond with that MMR? its weird :/
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      This is a comprehensive guide to everything you will ever need to know about the Starcraft 2 matchmaking system

SC2 Ladder Analysis: What YOU Need to Know

SC2 Ladder Analysis: Part 2
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).