+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reminiscing the early years of Starcraft magic
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Reminiscing the early years of Starcraft magic

I remember like it was yesterday, my older sister just bought a PC game that, at that time, I could only know as Starcraft. Back then I was a hardcore Westwood Command and Conquer fan and I thought then that there was no other RTS that could ever surpass the epicness of the Command and Conquer series. I watched my sister play through the first few missions of the Terran campaign and I was blown away by the awesome user interface, it was way better than any of the command and conquer games I have loved. My most fond moment of the era in which I merely watched my older sister play Starcraft was in the Mar Sara mission where you have to survive for about 30 minutes before the soon to be traitor Mengsk would arrive and pick you up. I remember it the most because it was the mission my sister had so much trouble with, she would almost always be overrun in the last five minutes. She called her friend, who was playing at what we would now categorize as diamond level, for some help and she eventually finished it.

And then it happened...I was alone with my dad's computer, and if you were expecting any pron action then I am sorry to disappoint you , and Starcraft was installed. I was so curious as to the what makes this Starcraft so popular and why magazines are saying it is the best RTS ever made. I took the risk and double clicked the Starcraft shortcut on the desktop and after some old-school Pentium processing, I was greeted to a kick-@ss loading screen with art of a futuristic soldier, a menacing slug with rows of sharp teeth and sickles for arms and a cute alien with yellowish armor. I made my way through the campaign menu and started the Terran campaign. Seeing the very first SCVs and command center in my life was so freaking unbelievably awesome that my mind was taken to video gaming nirvana and as my mind came back to reality it climaxed in an epic nerdgasm that was so powerful that it circled the world three times. It was simply the best video game I have ever seen. As I begun to order units around and mine my very first minerals I knew that I found the one video game I would admire for the rest of my nerd life.

At that time I suck so much at RTS that I always resorted to using cheats to run through the campaign like a warp blade through drone. I reached the Protoss campaign in no time and was instantly immersed in the epicness that is the Protoss lore, a super advanced race with psionic powers, it was love at first sight. As the campaign drew on I started to get all emo about the storyline as the Zerg swarm devours the Protoss worlds one after the other. I grew so attached to the race that I nearly cried in the final mission of Starcraft, right were Tassadar utters his last words and stating he is ready to sacrifice himself to destroy the overmind. Watching the CG cinematic of Tassadar sacrificing himself to destroy the overmind was the saddest thing I have ever seen and I was sad that I nearly pushed the ESC button to skip the animation. Ever since then I hated the Zerg, but Blizzard was not too helpful as they made me endure playing through an entire campaign of Zerg domination and near Protoss extinction in the Brood War expansion.

After a very long period of cheating in campaigns and in skirmishes, I tried my hand in playing like it was meant to be played; obviously without any cheats just a selected race and I. Of course I chose Protoss and obviously I chose the Zerg as my opponent. Thanks to my 10 actions per hour I was swiftly defeated with a bunch of zerglings while I only had one zealot, I panicked and tried to activate cheats but I remembered that I was playing in an offline multiplayer setting with cheats off and I watched as my Protoss are reduced to ruble. Instantly, I started a skirmish setting Protoss against Zerg, cheated, built a critical mass of carriers, fully upgraded them and annihilated the Zerg AI.

Present day, the starcraft 2 trilogy has been started and I could not wait to see what is in store for the Starcraft universe with Heart of the swarm and Legacy of the Void being developed. Playing through Jim Raynor's campaign was a full blast of pure nostalgic nerdgasmic moments of greatness. Most importantly, I was able to see Tassadar and I again nearly cried.

I may not be able to become a legendary progamer, make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and have a hot girl band member as my girlfriend *cough* BoxeR *cough*, but I will always look forward to playing my next match.

Let the games begin and may they last forever
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      hahaha this is really funny and a nice read.. I was a converted C&C /Red Alert fan also when starcraft came out.. I was really happy that I could build buildings and units simultaneosly not having to wait for that annoying voice of "unable to comply, building in progress / cannot deploy there..cannot deplo there.. construction complete..training.. unit ready.. unit repaired.. unit LOST!" LOL changed to "additional supply depots is required.. / we've not enough minerals.. and of course my all time favorite.. MLFA!!!! -my life for AUIR! (G-HOUSE?!?) / its a good day to die!

I really like the voice talents of SC1/BW, they are far funnier and better sounding than SC2, I wonder why they changed it.

I remember the days too.. when all I can do is play in BIG game hunters map full with 7 AIs, build supply depots 1st, then bunkers, then siegetanks then turrets then BATTLECRUISERS! until i reach 200/200 and attack move to the furthest corner of the map.. LOL
      Be my sparring buddy!

add me:

B.net ID: woreyour
      Code #: 180
      [both NA and SEA] (I wonder why it is same...)

"I'm so sexy, I sometimes romance myself..."

Downloads
      Uploads
      I was a mere 6 years old when SC was released. I didnt actually play it until a few years later, around 2001/02 I believe when my mom took me and my little brother to visit my soon-to-be stepdad and he and his friends were playing on LAN. Not to long after I bought the game and joined their LAN games. We always had a build time rule, and we wernt allowed to attack for at first like 10 minutes. Over time, though, that time grew to like 45 minutes so that by the time we actually fought we always had 3/3 carriers or BC's with a 3-4 turret thick ring around our base. I was do bad back then, but I enjoyed it anyway lol.

p.s. Isnt BoxeR's wife an actress? Though speaking of hot band members, I would do every single member of SNSD. every. single. member.
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Moderas View Post
      I was a mere 6 years old when SC was released. I didnt actually play it until a few years later, around 2001/02 I believe when my mom took me and my little brother to visit my soon-to-be stepdad and he and his friends were playing on LAN. Not to long after I bought the game and joined their LAN games. We always had a build time rule, and we wernt allowed to attack for at first like 10 minutes. Over time, though, that time grew to like 45 minutes so that by the time we actually fought we always had 3/3 carriers or BC's with a 3-4 turret thick ring around our base. I was do bad back then, but I enjoyed it anyway lol.

p.s. Isnt BoxeR's wife an actress? Though speaking of hot band members, I would do every single member of SNSD. every. single. member.
      About BoxeR's girlfriend; Kim Ga Yeon a member of SNSD or Girls generation is BoxeR's girlfriend. Google Kim Ga Yeon and you will be greated with a pic:
      Ang mga resulta ng Google para sa http://static.allkpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/20100419_boxer.jpg

And yes, I will do every single member of girls generation too
      LanEvoIII #988

Feel free to add me though I have not played multiplayer yet and I have not been placed yet. I will play my placement matches after my college studies (almost done).

Downloads
      Uploads
      Arnt you thinking of Kim Tae-Yeon as the SNSD member? They are all like 19/20 but I remember Artosis saying that BoxeR's wife was in her 30's during a GSL cast...

Looks at us, talking about the difference between two famous Korean women ><
      Add me: Moderas character code: 933

"I wish I was your derivative, so that I could lie tangent to your curves." Physics jokes ftw

Downloads
      Uploads
      I was 8 when Starcraft came out and my brother bought it.
      I had played Nintendo before, and even some PC games like SimCity, but Starcraft just hit me a whole new way. Being 8, I barely knew how to play, but having kept at it until about 13 I was a passable player. I played intermittently from then on, and Starcraft is second only to Pokemon to my most played games. Now that SC2 is out the love is renewed. Very excited, everytime I open the program I shiver a little.
      coolsmelly, number coming soon (as soon as I check it)

Downloads
      Uploads
      I was about 14 when it came out. I was a huge Warcraft 2 fan and I just started playing the first Diablo. I was pumped when I heard Blizzard was making a game that was like Warcraft in outer space. I remember it taking forever for the game to come out (Blizzard hasn't changed a bit) and seeing a picture of a Hydra thinking it was some weird worm thing. When I got the game I just remember building tons of Vultures and laying Spider Mines everywhere.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by Moderas View Post
      Arnt you thinking of Kim Tae-Yeon as the SNSD member? They are all like 19/20 but I remember Artosis saying that BoxeR's wife was in her 30's during a GSL cast...

Looks at us, talking about the difference between two famous Korean women ><
      Yeah, they both look quite the same, but I am pretty sure they are just dating. SNSD members are all good though

LOL better stop now
      LanEvoIII #988

Downloads
      Uploads
      I just googled SNDS.
      http://pandabutter.files.wordpress.c...sd-genie-3.jpg

Honestly I'm pretty sure this isn't a race thing, all of them look identical. Maybe I'm a bigot I have no idea XD.
      Why my name is NightlyNews ---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/slow-jam-the-news-jimmy-f_n_830759.html
      ID: Brian (1312)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by coolsmelly View Post
      I was 8 when Starcraft came out and my brother bought it.
      I had played Nintendo before, and even some PC games like SimCity, but Starcraft just hit me a whole new way. Being 8, I barely knew how to play, but having kept at it until about 13 I was a passable player. I played intermittently from then on, and Starcraft is second only to Pokemon to my most played games. Now that SC2 is out the love is renewed. Very excited, everytime I open the program I shiver a little.
      No way! Pokemon was my all time most played video game too and Starcraft was second most played. If only I have played starcraft seriously when I first got a glimpse of it, maybe I would be platinum by now haha!
      LanEvoIII #988