starcraft 2 strategy guide and video
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Starcraft 2 Need Help, Advice, or Just to Chat? Come ask me!
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads
      yea it is quite effective however there is nothing wrong with learning the default ones, and they apply across every race generally, with the GRID system you have to look at the screen and figure out where everything is, yes they may be in a cluster, but what if you hit the wrong key? and if your trying to do things quickly im better off going 5-->S--->D to get my drones than instead get to the unit screen and accidently hit w and build an ovie instead, id rather go from d to v, much further and if you can get your hand moving fast over the place then its just as good.

Its all up to preference, i know that ive just had issues dealing with the GRID system, use whats comfortable
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!

Downloads
      Uploads
      Right, what Moderas said. Shortcut keys is what I meant.

So for Larva I think you would select Q and Q to make drones rather than S D? I'm not 100% sure. Basically you're tooltip command box at the bottom right corresponds with your Q W E R T / A S D F G / Z X C V B keys like a grid. So for protoss and terran, to make SCVs and probes, you will be hitting Q instead of E and S. To do the chrono boost, you do Z instead of C. Everything else it's the same, you still assign control groups with Ctrl+1234567890. Shift+commands still work the same.

For unit commands, you hit Q for move, W for stop, E for hold position, R for patrol? T for attack. Something like that. Siege Mode now is Z. For ghosts, snipe is now Z, EMP X, C for cloak. Blink would be Z on stalkers instead of B.

I think this makes it easier, but it takes time to adjust and switch over. This virtually eliminates the need to memorize different shortcut keys for different races. It kind of brings all shortcut keys together.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Its basically used so that every units 1st ability is Z, 2nd is X and etc.
      Makes it easier if you dont remember hotkeys, or if you think they are to far away
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      So, I've decided that I think I will start my own Starcraft 2 Video blog on Youtube. I figured this would be a great way to help our newer people out. If there is something that anyone of you would like to see, come feel free to hit me up on either youtube or here and request a video! I am a heavy terran player, but that doesn't mean that I don't know a thing or two about the other races. I will admit that zerg is my weakest race, but I still am very well knowledgeable about all races.

YouTube - chrisrichter69's Channel
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads

Some General Tips and Tricks

After posting in the TeamLiquid blogs, I got some pretty useful information with tips and tricks to improve your overall game play. I am guilty of not following these myself, but I am working to fix and perfect that. I hope this post helps everyone out to bettering themselves.

- Fast Cybernetics and saving chrono boost? 4 Warpgate rush, be on the lookout for sneaky probes, don't do anything silly like expand - Marauders are great to defend it with.
      - Fast Stargate? Void Rays incoming, get a Starport with a reactor asap to get 2 Vikings out, this should be enough to make Protoss give up on Voids, just transition into MMM after you defend it. If the Void Rays arrive super early you can defend 1-2 of them with Marines/Stim. Don't waste gas on Marauders in this case.

Terran
      - The most important thing to look at with Terran in the early game is what addons they have, tech lab could mean Reapers or possibly Marauder stim timing push. Starport with a techlab means Banshees (1-2 turrets at mineral line will shut them down unless they are going all in Banshees).

The main thing with Terran is just keeping on your toes and trying to stay ahead, if he tries to expand either punish it if you think you can or take an expansion of your own. You always want to be dictating the game as Terran, if you play passively you will stay in the game quite a while but then just eventually lose. Try to make your opponent react to what you are doing either through timing pushes or just being a pest with constant drops in multiple locations and harassing his main/mineral lines whenever his army is out of place.

If you ever don't know what your oponent is doing use scan, it is the hidden talent of Terran (aka maphack). I have 1 or 2 SCVs patrolling every expansion on the map so I always know when one is being taken.

Also try to always have every Xel'Naga watchtower on the map and ALWAYS know where the bulk of your opponents army is either through scans or poking and prodding with your army. Also never commit to an attack unless you are absolutely sure you are going to win, always scan up ramps before you charge in, there is nothing worse than losing your whole army to a bunch of tanks.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about what was going to be my most important point

MICRO

Just don't do it at all.

I'm dead serious here, wasting time microing is one of the biggest detrements to any player with low APM (myself included).

Would you rather waste time keeping 2 extra Marines alive through super awesome micro only to lose later on because you didn't macro reinforcements or have 2 Marauders, 6 Marines and 2 Tanks on the way?

DO NOT WATCH THE BATTLE.

Just don't do it. I was so guilty of this for YEARS playing Brood War. Watch one of your replays with the FPVOD thing activated and the unit production tab open. When a battle occurs I guarantee your SCV and all unit production flatlines - I used to do this all the time.

What you need to do is quickly assess if you can win a battle or not within 1-2 seconds. Scan quickly and decide if you can win. If you can - siege your tanks, throw down a PDD, stim and attack. Then FORCE yourself to do something else, build units, rerally production buildings, add reinforcements to your control groups, TAKE AN EXPANSION (best option most of the time, seriously try it). Once you have completed your task, go back to the battle. If you are winning soundly, make another push forward and then go and do something else again. If your forces are looking a bit sad pull back for a bit - never throw away your army.

Also another thing I forgot to mention is upgrades, even having 1/1 against a 0/0 army will give you a huge advantage, upgrades are a thing I see a lot (not all) of people on ladder completely neglect and they sit with 0/0 the entire game.

Even I'm guilty of not finishing my 3/3 sometimes because I forget/get distracted by other things. Upgrades are seriously important though.

I'm not sure how good you are at keeping on top of upgrading but it is another thing to consider when improving your play.

A good idea is to make upgrades part of a timing push. Just make up a timing push in your head like:

"When I am at 2/2 bio I will kill his natural"

It really really helps a lot to have even a simple plan like this in the back of your head. Some trigger that goes off in your brain so that you know exactly what you want and need to do.

Eventually you will start memorising what timings work well against what but to do this you have to experiment.

It doesn't have to be upgrades, one of my favourite timing pushes is when I get my first Medivac and Viking out of a Reactor Starport.

I move out and get a feel for how big my opponents army is. If he is over extended I punish him by sniping an expansion or picking off units/tech. If not I either try to contain him while I expand or just fall back to my main/nat if I feel my army is under threat of being overrun by a superior force.

Remember a timing push doesn't have to win the game, the idea is to secure an advantage and hold on to it. When I move out with my first attack I'm only looking to exploit weaknesses. Sometimes you do win early if your opponent has done something silly like expanded 3 times or if they are bad but going all in with any timing push is always risky.
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen