Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question on the Commentaries
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
      Downloads
      Uploads

Question on the Commentaries

OneManZerg / ScvRush,

Where do you guys get the setup for the different types of base setups that you speak about in your commentaries. I have heard mention of 13 build_____, 14 build ______ etc and I am curious on where this information comes from.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Most of it we know from personal knowledge and experience as well as watching pros plays. We are going to release a build orders section soon for the site that will detail a lot of this information. Do you have a particular one you are looking for?

Downloads
      Uploads
      No not particularly. I am just curious on what detirmines what in the build so that I can watch some non UEN youtube videos and understand what is going on. Information is the first key to the beast called Victory.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Well, your strategy defines what you want to do.

The #'s, IE hatch on 14, pool on 13, is the unit count of the player at the time of constructing those buildings (see in the top right). Unit count becomes less relevant as the game goes on though (say your attacked and lose some units, do you stop building until you get back to a specific #? no). So, your general guideline is your strategy. Are you going for a quick rush? Are you trying to macro up? Are you trying to fast tech? Those game strategies are what will define what you build and in what order - as well as your scouting of your opponent to see what they are doing. If your strategy will not stand up against theirs - you'll have to change plans. The game, at a high level, is largely about knowing what your opponent is doing and building your units/base to counter that.

So, when you are watching replays and commentaries I recommend trying to see what the players are seeing and how they are and aren't reacting. Did the terran see that stargate go down? Is he building marines or a starport of his own to counter that? Is he stopping marauder and hellion production to ramp up anti-air? Is he speeding up his attack plans because he knows he needs to inflict maximum pain now before his opponent gets too big of an advantage? What kind of timing is the player using on his attacks, on his expansions, etc.? All of those reactions and plans of the pros are calculated and typically have good reasoning behind them so it's important to figure out what was the strategic reason for that attack then or that expansion push out, and then tactically, how did they do it?

I hope that helps.

Downloads
      Uploads
      Perfect actually! Hmmm thank you very much.

Downloads
      Uploads
      is there particular races you would wanna macro up //tech up // or quick rush??

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by KiLLjOy View Post
      is there particular races you would wanna macro up //tech up // or quick rush??
      I don't know that you need to set a specific path/strategy based on race (although certain strats are designed for certain matchups); the strategy you choose should ideally be based on three factors:
      1) Matchup--ZvZ, for example, can start off as a standoff as both people start pumping drones or it can be a very fast match as both rush with fast lings.
      2) Map--Some maps work better with fast rushes (e.g., Steppes), but some absolutely do not simply because of the distance (Basin, Scrap).
      3) Your comfort level--Always choose a strat that you know you can pull off; playing things by ear is tremendously hard and improvisation typically ends up with you having a ton of resources and no idea what comes next.

Short answer, I think you should choose whether to macro/tech/rush based on your own preferences; I would not recommend rushing on Basin or Scrap simply because it's immensely hard to execute. That said, if you feel like rushing, what's the worst that can happen? A loss? You may strike upon something you enjoy, even if it takes a few tries to work out .
      -smagee (#948), GMT -8

Downloads
      Uploads
      How do I become a commentator?
      Fealorin.945
      http://uentv.blip.tv/
      www.ustream.tv/channel/theuen
      www.livestream.com/theuen

Downloads
      Uploads
      Find a good replay showing (gameplay, BO, pros, etc)
      Record
      Upload
      IceCraft 798 - Error? I'll add you then :) Gimme a shout with your info ^_^
      GMT +9.5
      http://www.twitch.tv/jtxgaming << my stream =]
      Masters leaguer, go easy =)

Downloads
      Uploads
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisrichter69 View Post
      How do I become a commentator?
      yea what icecraft said, or shoot moderas, OMZ or SCVrush a pm with interest and they will ask ya if they need someone to fill a spot. Also maybe me and you could try doing some practice casting together as itll be fun, maybe we could cast UEN replays lol that would be quite awesome XD as i find it quite enjoyable
      The mind is both willing and able, the hands are too busy reaching for the beer bottle..... Add me on the SEA and NA servers: Flamga #377

GMT +10.5!